PDA

View Full Version : OK just to seal Jeep Grand Cherokee glass lift gate shut?

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 12:46 PM
My son's 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee looks great, runs great. Really impressed when he inherited it from his sister, he cleaned it up, and it looks really good.

The glass lift gate at the back doesn't lock, though. While he doesn't keep anything important in it, he'd like to be able to lock it and not have to worry about somebody just opening the glass and scooting inside. Not worried about using it, and was wondering if we'd be able to just somehow seal it shut, glue it shut, somehow lock it shut so that it doesn't open independently of the lift gate.

Is there a way of doing it? I don't think the sensor has worked in years for it, so that's not an issue. Is that a dumb idea?

The lift gate works perfectly, locks, etc. So it's just the glass part that I'd like to seal up shut.

dan_bgblue
08-21-2017, 01:10 PM
It closes against a rubber gasket on the sides and bottom, correct?

If that is the case, then open the window and apply a bead about 1/8th to 3/8s inches wide of clear silicone caulking to the rubber gasket, all the way around, then close the window solidly for at least overnight but preferably 24 hours and it will not ever open again. The odor from the silicone will go away inside the Jeep in a week or so.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 01:50 PM
It does. I think I will follow your instructions, thanks.

BigBluePappy
08-21-2017, 06:59 PM
It closes against a rubber gasket on the sides and bottom, correct?

If that is the case, then open the window and apply a bead about 1/8th to 3/8s inches wide of clear silicone caulking to the rubber gasket, all the way around, then close the window solidly for at least overnight but preferably 24 hours and it will not ever open again. The odor from the silicone will go away inside the Jeep in a week or so.

Good Heaven's - a brother from another mother!
We bought a 2001 Explorer Sport for Grammy and everything worked EXCEPT the lock on the back glass. Rear gate lock worked but that pesky glass door would not work right. Bill Collins Ford and Cook's locksmith both got shots at it, both could not fix it and both treated me right. Thought on it a while, and the fix Dan gave worked even when Grammy totaled it on a patch of black ice on the Gene Snyder Freeway.
Wish your youngun lots of luck on his hand-me-down.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 10:59 PM
Good Heaven's - a brother from another mother!
We bought a 2001 Explorer Sport for Grammy and everything worked EXCEPT the lock on the back glass. Rear gate lock worked but that pesky glass door would not work right. Bill Collins Ford and Cook's locksmith both got shots at it, both could not fix it and both treated me right. Thought on it a while, and the fix Dan gave worked even when Grammy totaled it on a patch of black ice on the Gene Snyder Freeway.
Wish your youngun lots of luck on his hand-me-down.

Thanks. I will pass along the well-wishes and appreciate the experience you had as well. Seems to be the way to go.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Do you have any bear traps? Won't fix the window but anyone who gets in will be sorry.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Do you have any bear traps? Won't fix the window but anyone who gets in will be sorry.

I like it.

Actually, I don't think anybody would do it. But "somebody" does, don't they?

CitizenBBN
08-22-2017, 11:44 AM
It's unreal what people will do these days. I'd like to think it's b/c of the drug epidemic and that humans aren't that inherently stupid, but you never know.