PDA

View Full Version : Video-only Question(s)/Project Here: First--enlarging/cropping video

Darrell KSR
08-20-2017, 12:10 PM
I posted on another thread that I spent 8 hours in a press box yesterday and had a chance to try out the Yi action camera and wifi app for my phone, and it worked better than expected. Nice video, easy to change settings on my phone, etc.

So that's step one.

My next project is this:

Taking the video--which is not zoomed in at all, and probably yesterday had 150 yards wide--and see if I can "crop" it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do that on the fly without modifying the video--i.e., just watch it zoomed in. I doubt I can.

After that, I'd like to be able to take sections of the video and enlarge them/crop out unnecessary parts. Doing a "highlight" video kind of thing focusing on one player.

That's my first software/processing project. It may be my last.

KentuckyWildcat
08-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Ever used a video editing program? imovie, adobe premeire elements, hitfilm? All affordable.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 08:03 AM
I have not, but I am more than willing, especially if they are easy to use for a beginner with very modest needs. I'll pay for that convenience for sure.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Premiere is bundled with Photoshop. I think $150 with an education discount.

Hitfilm is $300 or more. They did offer a limited free version.

IMovie, need a mac.

Probably some free options as well.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 01:51 PM
I will look into them, thanks. Sounds like what I want to do is doable, right?

Darrell KSR
08-21-2017, 03:54 PM
I think I'm going to buy this software: Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 Ultimate. Supposed to be super-easy to use. I have seen the "zoom" feature used on youtube videos, and it appears extremely easy.

It has an extreme toolkit for sports footage, and markets itself for go-pro type action cameras.

Highly rated by PC Magazine:
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424347,00.asp

and Lifewire:
https://www.lifewire.com/top-video-editing-software-1081918

I can actually get Adobe Premiere Elements 15 & Premiere Elements 15 for a rock-bottom price of $27. Don't ask me how. Legitimate, but can't be duplicated by others.

Both are rated 9/10 by Tom's Guide and routinely at the top from what I can tell. The Cyberlink Powerdirector is reputed to be the easiest to use. You know me..I need it so simple a 6-year old could do it. Actually, most 6-year olds are more capable than I am, so even easier than that.

I'll think about it and order something tonight.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Check the hardware specs on whatever you choose. Some use the video card to render.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2017, 05:25 PM
You just need to learn how to cut video. Then you can zoom (crop) the cut footage. Very basic for any editor.