PDA

View Full Version : Oledon's Stupid Underdog Picks and Doc's Beat the Odds around the corner

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
We will post the rules for the longstanding KSR games later, but Doc has indicated he'll be starting it up this weekend.

I'll post Oledon's Stupid Underdog Picks as soon as good lines become available, probably no later than Monday.

Doc can explain BTO better than I can, but the general thrust to it is that he'll select a certain number of games each week, and assign a point spread to it. You have to pick the team you think will win (with) the point spread. He will likely allow you to "skip" one game, with a "Ten Foot Pole," but you have to count one other game "double," his "Double Shock" game. Always have to play the Kentucky game if UK is playing that week.

Oledon's Stupid Underdog Picks is permanently named after one of the most beloved forum members and moderators we've ever had, Don Lewis, who passed away after a lengthy illness last year. Don loved Kentucky football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, heck, you name it, if it was Kentucky, you wouldn't find a bigger supporter. Oledon was a faithful (and excellent) player for the Stupid Underdog Game, and we chuckled a bit at how many times Don would select "Baylor" as his stupid underdog pick--except the joke would be on us, as Baylor would come through for him. Don also regularly would assist me in calculating winners without anyone asking, he'd just see I had dropped the ball on my grading, and he'd just do it. That's the kind of guy he was; I know the last year before he got sick he graded more of the contests than I did.

Last year we retired Baylor for the season in Don's honor, and did not allow Baylor to be picked. We will open that pick back up this year, as Don would never have wanted to restrict anybody on the forum from full enjoyment of the game. But we'll keep "Oledon"'s name on the game. Sorry, old pal, you never sought the limelight, but we're going to remember you this way anyway.

The Stupid Underdog Game is really easy to play. Each week we'll post the full slate of games and their odds. You must pick an underdog--a team that is "supposed" to lose the game--and if they WIN the game--not just beat the spread, but actually pull an upset--you get the points by which they were the underdog as your points for picking that "Oledon Stupid Underdog."

We'll accumulate the points week by week, have leader boards, and you can see how you're doing each week. The games are mainly for bragging rights, but we may see what we can scrounge up at the end of the season for prizes for the winners nonetheless.

The more that play the game, the more fun they are--so be sure and tell your friends that the games are open when we start them. Thanks, and stay tuned!

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
By the way, I would also like to take a moment and honor "mac4uk," Jonathan McIntyre, a longstanding KSR regular and also a regular player of Doc's BTO game and the Stupid Underdog Picks game. Mac died tragically from a fall in the UK parking garage, leaving behind a loving wife and twins--and a never dying love for all things Kentucky as well.

Both Mac and Don were also UK baseball fans. They would have very much enjoyed the season last year as Coach Henderson put together a very good UK baseball team, as we know. May both of you fine gentlemen rest in peace.

(I do not mean to slight BigRonW, who died before we even took over the Scout operation 7-1/2 years ago, but many remember Mac and Don and their devotion to UK football and these games, so I wanted to mention them here.)

Lfbj00
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
I can't wait. SUP's and BTO's mean it's TIME FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

fastkat
08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Bring on the SUP, that's why I signed up here:)

bluesuedeshoes
08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Bring on the SUP, that's why I signed up here:)

Yep...I gotta have me some SUP!