PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried karaoke?

Catfan73
08-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Trucker and Citizen got me to thinking this might be fun....have you ever sang karaoke (inebriated or sober) and what did you try? I tried once, after loosening up just enough lol, singing The Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why". Everyone said it was really good but I think they were mostly being nice. Everyone loves that song though.

TRUCKERCATFAN
08-16-2017, 07:42 PM
I love it. The thing about karaoke is that 95% of those that do it aren't great singers and that's fine because it's fun.

My go to Eagles song is 7 Bridges Road. I do a lot of Hank Jr & Sr, Waylon, Merle, Buffet. I actually got a standing ovation from a packed bar in Nashville one night with a performance of Hootie and the Blowfish's Let Her Cry. They were probably cheering the fact I was done.

CitizenBBN
08-16-2017, 08:08 PM
I've done it a few times. My wife's firm had a group that enjoyed doing it at gatherings, so we did it for the office after-party a few times.

I wasn't falling down drunk but I assure you I wasn't cold sober either. Will take me 5-6 beers just to listen to karaoke, for me to participate would take a few more past that I'm sure.

BTW, my best karaoke song is probably Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. I actually have a good voice for Meatloaf songs. Very strong projection, low, except I can't hold a tune in a bucket. But I can belt out the sound. I can cover a 40x60 room without a microphone no problem.

uklandrn
08-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Love Karaoke!! I like singing Midnight Train to Georgia as well as a bunch of other songs. On my birthday last year I sang a Toni Braxton song because we share a birthday - so I sang Another sad love song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
08-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Back in my younger days when I would drink some. I don't remember what I sang....

dan_bgblue
08-16-2017, 08:25 PM
I can not carry a tune in a bucket, so I have just watched people that think they can sing, torment others.

CitizenBBN
08-16-2017, 08:33 PM
I can not carry a tune in a bucket, so I have just watched people that think they can sing, torment others.

I know for sure I can't sing. The trick is to play the background music really loud and make sure everyone is good and loaded.

dan_bgblue
08-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Is it acceptable to lip sync Karaoke?

CitizenBBN
08-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Is it acceptable to lip sync Karaoke?

First rule of karaoke: there are no rules for karaoke. :)

BigBluePappy
08-17-2017, 02:51 AM
Ever hear a howler monkey (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYar0dkZ6v8)?

You have then heard me sing karaoke...

MickintheHam
08-17-2017, 03:22 AM
After successfully avoiding it all these years (I also avoid any establishment that hosts such events) I entered one of these joints in Lexington for my DILs birthday this spring. All guests had to sing and I was chosen to go first. The only song I could think to request was Country Roads.

I don't know how it sounded but everyone in the place sang along loud and proud.

Catfan73
08-17-2017, 04:57 AM
I've done it a few times. My wife's firm had a group that enjoyed doing it at gatherings, so we did it for the office after-party a few times.

I wasn't falling down drunk but I assure you I wasn't cold sober either. Will take me 5-6 beers just to listen to karaoke, for me to participate would take a few more past that I'm sure.

BTW, my best karaoke song is probably Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. I actually have a good voice for Meatloaf songs. Very strong projection, low, except I can't hold a tune in a bucket. But I can belt out the sound. I can cover a 40x60 room without a microphone no problem.

Isn't that like 15 minutes long? And a duet? :S

TRUCKERCATFAN
08-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Isn't that like 15 minutes long? And a duet? :S

8 minutes 30 seconds. Long song. In my wilder days, I used to try and get the DJ at my favorite strip club to play this when I purchased a lap dance. Lol.

suncat05
08-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Not a fan. But my wife (and most Filipinos, in general) LOVE to sing karaoke. Most of them here have the machines and at every party they start singing and will do it for hours.
I am not a singer, don't even really listen to much music anymore. So when they start singing, I just leave and go home, because I know she is going to be there singing for HOURS!
She and my daughter walk around the house singing all the time. THAT I love, because they both have exceptionally beautiful and harmonious voices. But as far as karaoke itself, you guys can have it. Not interested. To me it's a waste of time. Especially with drunks. I can't stand dealing with drunks anymore either.