PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a tall tripod option

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 07:34 AM
I found this article while looking at some camera options for recording soccer games the next couple of years.

https://mondaymorningcentreback.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/soccer-coach-job-hack-the-tall-tripod-video-system/

One thing that I am trying to do is to enjoy the games more, rather than worry about recording. I had in mind possibly recording a full field in good enough resolution where I could zoom in on the finished video as desired. That way I could use a GoPro type camera or other camera, turn it on and place it on the top of a tall tripod and let it run. This option intrigued me, but I wasn't sure how the telescopic ladder would be secured. I assume it has two legs, rather than 4. Would it have to be secured to a tree or other solid object? Anybody know a hack to make a tripod out of something like the 12.5 foot telescopic ladder this guy suggested?

KentuckyWildcat
08-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Mine is not 12.5 ft by any means. But I have a Slik that is at least 6.5 feet tall. I love it. I wanted something tall enough to get over the people in the pews at church. Works really well for that.

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 09:19 AM
I'm wondering if I could hack the ladder to have something swing out on one of the lower rungs to act as a "third leg." It would not have to hold any weight like the ladder is designed to do, but the camera could be pre-mounted, then extend the telescoping rungs and set it up. With wi-fi capabilities of seeing what the view is, it could be adjusted by just pulling it down without having to climb up it.

dan_bgblue
08-16-2017, 09:43 AM
This link might help a little (http://cheesycam.com/12-foot-super-tall-tripod-on-a-budget/)

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Dan, very nice link. The article has options too expensive (it would double to quadruple the cost), but the links inside to the contractor's tripods for laser levels and such are gold, pure gold.

https://www.amazon.com/AdirPro-Telescoping-Tripod-Rotary-Lasers/dp/B00YYA8XOW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502899040&sr=8-8&keywords=elevator+tripod

That one looks great for less than what I was going to spend. Works better, I think.

This one also looks great for the price and what it does.

https://www.amazon.com/Impact-Heavy-Light-Stand-Black/dp/B004U5F3BC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1502899040&sr=8-9&keywords=elevator+tripod

I think those are much better than the soccer guy's "hack" of leaning the ladder. I guess at the end of the day, you have an extra extension ladder at home, but at the cost of not having something that suits the primary purpose for which you intended.

I should send that guy your link and these options. I love them for putting up a wi-fi enabled camera and just letting it run.

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking this 10' might be fine for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-ALS-Cushioned-Included-Equipment/dp/B003TM600U/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003TM600U&pd_rd_r=12HQGTG4Y6XAX0JXBKER&pd_rd_w=7xeuO&pd_rd_wg=O84RJ&psc=1&refRID=12HQGTG4Y6XAX0JXBKER

dan_bgblue
08-16-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm thinking this 10' might be fine for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-ALS-Cushioned-Included-Equipment/dp/B003TM600U/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003TM600U&pd_rd_r=12HQGTG4Y6XAX0JXBKER&pd_rd_w=7xeuO&pd_rd_wg=O84RJ&psc=1&refRID=12HQGTG4Y6XAX0JXBKER

The only downside I see to this one is that there is no leveling adjustment in the legs. If you find a good level spot to sit it down it is good to go, but if not then it will lean to one of the three corners.

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm getting a mini ball head mount on it, so it can "fix" the leveling (another $8).

So today's Amazon purchase list:

10' air cushioned light stand with adaptor to fit 1/4' and 3/8' photo equipment, with "heavy duty" carry bag (I'll take anything). $35. Light-weight, and 4.5* seems like this was a buy made for me.

Vonoto Mini-Ball head made for light bracket stands and such. Will allow me to tilt the camera, level it, etc. Another $8.

Yi 88001 action camera with Wi-Fi and bluetooth. It's the Go-Pro clone made by Xiaomi company Yi. Good reviews. Not the 4k one, unfortunately, but that's $200, and this one is $69.99. Add an extra battery for $17.99 (soccer has two halfs), and could be good to go. HOWEVER, there's a deal on.

First, you click the "add extra battery," and Amazon automatically deducts the $17.99. Score!
Then you add in the coupon code VDF5CJDF and it deducts $15.00 more.

So for $54.99 you get an action camera, light, small, 155° view (but that's the wide angle with a fish-eye perspective, which I won't use), and a slightly smaller (saw the videos and photo clips, but I'm just guessing here) 140° field of view. Does true 1080P/60FPS, 720P/120FPS, 848*480/240FPS (I'll be using the first one). Also has wi-fi with an app that can set everything, and can provide live streaming to your phone (jury is definitely out on whether that really will be useful other than to set it up and make sure it's pointed at the field after a ball hits it and knocks it down).

I'm happy. My wife will be irritated that I bought more electronics stuff. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks. Can I convince her that it's a birthday present for her?

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm really pumped about saving $33 today on what is already a good price for the Yi Camera, and getting a very reasonably priced light stand for the very light camera. Thanks again for the link, Dan. Led me to a direction I had not considered.

The one thing I didn't get today that I need to get is a waterproof case for the camera. Not that I want to take it underwater, but they play in rain and mess. Right now I generally use shower caps I garner from hotels I stay in, and keep in my camera case. You just leave a little hole for the lens, and you're usually good.

The next thing I want to try is to see if I can "zoom" in on video without losing a lot of quality. When I video, I usually video about 40% of the field at a time. Any less than that, and you miss action, because the ball and action move faster than my eyes, hands, and panning the camera. When you start to get more than 40%, you start losing the facial features of the players involved, etc., and can see the action fine, but it's like watching a college football game in the stands, where you know who the players are by their positioning, their style of play, etc., but you don't see them up close, like you would on TV.

I'll probably have half a dozen or more times in a video that I will want to see it "closer." Certainly, my son if he makes a particular play of interest. So I am hopeful I can make that work.

If this works as I hope, I may set it, glance at my phone occasionally, but generally enjoy the games in the meantime.

dan_bgblue
08-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Can I convince her that it's a birthday present for her?

No

Darrell KSR
08-17-2017, 08:01 AM
No
Really know how to hurt a guy. Truth does that sometimes.

Darrell KSR
08-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Man, timing really helps. She got the emails from Amazon yesterday about the camera, the tripod, and the ball mount, together with an email about forgetting the password, and she asked if I had ordered some things. When I told her I ordered those things for soccer, she said, "good--I was afraid somebody had hacked into the account with the password, as long as you ordered it, it's fine."

I think moving our daughter into the dorm yesterday distracted her. Timing!

Darrell KSR
08-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Tried out the Yi video camera yesterday and the wireless app, and they worked flawlessly from the Heardmont Stadium Press Box, where I spent 8 hours yesterday announcing cheer squads, dance teams, and football scrimmages from K-1 through high school varsity. Also got marching band video etc.

The video is much farther back than where I will be located for soccer, but it should give me an idea if I can blow up video and make it work.

CitizenBBN
08-20-2017, 12:46 PM
D, I didn't really read all of this as I don't do that kind of photography, but do you just need a tall tripod type thing? If so I do know about those, b/c we used them for our wireless boxes. May even have one somewhere. It's telescoping, with a 3 leg base that comes out. You can get from 4-5 feet to 15-20 on it pretty easy.

Can't remember where we got them from, but it was a small niche company that made them. Worked perfect for us, had a really hard time finding them. But I'm sure I could figure it out, though it's been many years since I ordered any, they could be gone by now.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2017, 01:02 PM
CBBN, I appreciate it, but I think I got something that works well for a limited purpose. I have a small "go pro" type camera that I intend to mount on top of a 10' high light tripod. It has a super-stable base, very side, and I doubt I'll go all the way up to 10' with it, although I may. The idea is just to get over heads of people walking in front on the sidelines during "club" games, where many of the games are played not in stadiums, and spectating is on flat land.

The wireless app Yi Action Cam has with it worked perfectly yesterday, so I was very pleased with it.

I *may* have a need for a true tripod at some point, so don't lose that info. But for now, I'm good, thanks.

CitizenBBN
08-20-2017, 02:39 PM
No problem. These things are portable enough to work but they seem like overkill for a small camera. We put 10lb wireless boxes on them. Let me know though b/c I may have one I can send down. I tried to save a couple just in case.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Oh, yeah, it would be overkill for the little action cam that weighs a few ounces. My regular camera is small, but at least it weighs a few pounds. If I had a need, it would be with that one.