PDA

View Full Version : PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

KSRBEvans
08-15-2017, 07:42 PM
1 movie/day (that's not a 3D or Imax movie) at over 4,000 theaters around the country. Apparently it's been around for several years at varying costs and levels of viewing ability. Now it's $9.95/month for 30 movies/month.

I don't see how it can be profitable (this article (https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/15/16150628/moviepass-pricing-subscription-fee-theaters) says they're going to use data they gather from your viewing habits for marketing/advertising), but I signed up and it'll be interesting to see how/if it works.

More info here:

http://lifehacker.com/moviepass-now-offers-unlimited-movies-in-theaters-for-1797865400?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twit ter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/15/moviepass-unlimited-movies-10-dollars-a-month/

https://www.moviepass.com/sen

Darrell KSR
08-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Please let us know how you like it. I saw that article and was intrigued as well, as a very seldom movie goer.

PedroDaGr8
08-22-2017, 12:43 PM
1 movie/day (that's not a 3D or Imax movie) at over 4,000 theaters around the country. Apparently it's been around for several years at varying costs and levels of viewing ability. Now it's $9.95/month for 30 movies/month.

I don't see how it can be profitable (this article (https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/15/16150628/moviepass-pricing-subscription-fee-theaters) says they're going to use data they gather from your viewing habits for marketing/advertising), but I signed up and it'll be interesting to see how/if it works.

More info here:

http://lifehacker.com/moviepass-now-offers-unlimited-movies-in-theaters-for-1797865400?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twit ter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/15/moviepass-unlimited-movies-10-dollars-a-month/

https://www.moviepass.com/sen

The data they get guides the movie theaters on how to properly target films, which films to greenlight, etc. They desperately need the data because they know that Americans are not watching movies like they once did. Personally, I feel that Western Cinema is in a rapid decline. The focus on movies for the lowest common denominator across multiple cultures (in pursuit of worldwide $$) has resulted in a product which is poorly made, unadventurous and frankly milktoast. They have become to risk averse. Couple that with the fact that long term story-telling and world-building which is now available with Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. and movies become an uncompelling product. I just finished watching The Defenders, it was a great series and it was nice to see these other stories that I have followed come together and build. I have loved seeing the various characters show up throughout the series and cross storylines. Luke Cage was excellent, Daredevil was Very Good to Excellent, Jessica Jones was Solid, Iron Fist was freaking horrible. That being said, the rest of them helped redeem the Iron Fist story a lot. This in depth level of story telling and world building really makes for a much more enriching experience as a whole. Somethign you just can't get in short for movies, even in sequels.

badrose
08-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Throw in the popcorn, soda, and the extra pass (assumed) that's about $1000 a month.:party0052:

KSRBEvans
08-24-2017, 11:01 AM
So, not an auspicious beginning. I signed up on 8/15 and was told I should expect my card (which is required to use the service) within 5-7 business days. That would be August 22-24.

Yesterday I get an email saying they were blown away by the awesome response (translation: they couldn't handle the throughput) and my card wouldn't arrive until September 6-10, although those who signed up on 8/15 can "expect it sooner," whatever that means. Billing will be adjusted to reflect the late arrival.

Strike one....

Catfan73
08-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Do they say anything about exempted showings, like opening weekends or anything? Seems like I often see signs about no passes accepted when I go to my favorite cinema, or maybe its just them.

KSRBEvans
08-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Do they say anything about exempted showings, like opening weekends or anything? Seems like I often see signs about no passes accepted when I go to my favorite cinema, or maybe its just them.

They say the only shows it doesn't work for are 3D and Imax--any 2D movie is OK, no blackout dates.

And if you look at how their system works, I can see why that's (hopefully) the case. It's not a "pass"--they send you a debit card, you check in through the app when you arrive at the theater, and that enables your debit card to make a ticket purchase. So it's like a prepaid debit card, except it only works when you're at the theater, and only for purchase of 2D movies.

badrose
08-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Per person, I assume...

Catfan73
08-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Interesting.

Doc
08-24-2017, 06:05 PM
Hey, my PSA is down to 2.5. Or are we talking a different PSA??

KSRBEvans
08-24-2017, 06:10 PM
I got my card today. So

https://memecrunch.com/meme/1XIK0/nevermind/image.jpg?w=520&c=1

Darrell KSR
08-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Cool. Excited to hear about your experience.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2017, 06:11 AM
My wife's birthday was this week, and I started to get a couple of these passes as birthday gifts. But I waited way too late, so I just abandoned the idea.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2017, 11:14 AM
BEvans, have you had a chance to use this? How is it working out for you?

KSRBEvans
11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Darrell, I've used it twice. Once it was glitchy, but I think that was user error. The 2nd time was smooth, no problem.

Basically, when you create an account with them they mail you a debit card. When you get to the theater (you have to be within 100 yards of it), you check in on the app as being at that theater and select the movie you want to see. When you get an "OK" message on your app, you can then use the debit card to pay for your ticket. We really like it.

PedroDaGr8
11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
My girl is still waiting on the card, it has been several months and she hasn't received it.

Darrell KSR
11-12-2017, 10:30 PM
I haven't run across anyone using it locally. Would love to hear that from someone who is really using it a lot.

Darrell KSR
11-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Darrell, I've used it twice. Once it was glitchy, but I think that was user error. The 2nd time was smooth, no problem.

Basically, when you create an account with them they mail you a debit card. When you get to the theater (you have to be within 100 yards of it), you check in on the app as being at that theater and select the movie you want to see. When you get an "OK" message on your app, you can then use the debit card to pay for your ticket. We really like it.Why only twice? I guess I'm cheap. I'd be using it (at least for awhile) as much as I could squeeze in.

KSRBEvans
11-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Why only twice? I guess I'm cheap. I'd be using it (at least for awhile) as much as I could squeeze in.

We had some family health issues. Right after I got my card my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and she passed on October 1. So we just started using it in the last 3 weeks or so. I didn't want to cancel the account and have to re-start everything again, so I just held onto it.

Darrell KSR
11-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. And very sorry to bring up that memory too.

KSRBEvans
11-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks Darrell, and I struggled with mentioning the reason why because I knew you'd feel bad for bringing it up, and I didn't want to put you on the spot. Even though we miss her, she was sick with related illnesses for years and we're happy she's in a place where she knows no pain.

Darrell KSR
11-15-2017, 05:11 AM
I'm glad she is no longer ill. Feel the same way about my Mom. God bless you all.

Darrell KSR
11-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Now a deal for $6.95 a month if you pay a year in advance.

https://lifehacker.com/moviepass-drops-price-to-6-95-a-month-for-a-limited-ti-1820550734

Darrell KSR
12-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Just bought 3 of them from Costco, $89.95 each for a year's subscription. Getting two for "my wife" and my son asked me if I bought one to get one for him.

Catfan73
12-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Does your wife know about “your wife”? ;)

Darrell KSR
12-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Does your wife know about “your wife”? ;)Lol. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, right?

That does read funny. It's meant to convey one of them is for me, of course...

KSRBEvans
07-27-2018, 10:40 PM
So it looks like it was too good to be true (or to be sustainable).

First, MoviePass recently changed its terms to charge an additional amount for "surge pricing (https://gizmodo.com/heres-how-much-moviepass-surge-pricing-will-cost-you-1827372258)" when a movie is just out and very popular. Thing is, I looked at what movies were surge pricing today here in Louisville and basically every movie on first run was surge pricing except for the 1st showing of the day. So unless you want to go to, say, the 11 am showing, you're going to have to pay more beyond your monthly MoviePass fee.

Second, MoviePass is running out of money, and in fact ran out of money last night (https://gizmodo.com/heres-how-much-moviepass-surge-pricing-will-cost-you-1827372258) and had to take an emergency $5 mil loan to continue operations.

So we'll be dropping our MoviePass subscriptions when the next monthly payment comes due. We might try AMC's new subscription service (https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/20/media/amc-monthly-subscription/index.html), but probably not. Honestly, we had a hard time finding enough movies we wanted to see, even for "free," to make $9.95/month worth our while.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Just activated two of the subscriptions I bought for Christmas tonight. I hope the company stays in business that long. It is a 12-month voucher, so my initial concern about waiting this long and losing time was unfounded, but the viability of the company is something else.

MickintheHam
08-02-2018, 03:50 PM
When this thread first started I couldn’t remember my last trip to the movies. I still can’t. IMHO the Motion picture industry is in rapid decline. They have worn out the American public.

Darrell KSR
08-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Received an email that said the card was on its way...and would be here in two weeks. Must be using Pony Express. Will the company be around when it arrives?

badrose
08-03-2018, 11:32 AM
When this thread first started I couldn’t remember my last trip to the movies. I still can’t. IMHO the Motion picture industry is in rapid decline. They have worn out the American public.

I think it's because so much of what comes out now is just bad or not good enough to keep you from waiting for it to hit another venue i.e.TV. or blu-ray.

KentuckyWildcat
08-03-2018, 10:10 PM
I think it's because so much of what comes out now is just bad or not good enough to keep you from waiting for it to hit another venue i.e.TV. or blu-ray.That and the prices, food, crowds, and time.

I'd rather pay $50, maybe more to watch theater releases at home if I could.

Like Mick, I can't remember my last movie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
08-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Lot of it is the same thing we're seeing with sporting events. People would rather sit at home with their better view in their home setup, comfortable chairs, immediately accessible bathrooms, convenient beverages and snacks, etc.

I'm not a big fan of crowds. Movie theaters don't bother me as much as a football or basketball crowd, but there's a little of that, too.

My favorite movie experiences were when my daughter had just turned 16 and worked at the local movie theater. We wouldn't let her drive home by herself when she closed in the summer, so I would show up early, in time for the last show of the night. Movie theater nearly deserted, yet got the full experience. And even better were the couple of times she got them to stay open and run a show for us, without previews. We had the family there a couple of times for our own private screening.

Now she works in a hospital. I'm not sure I want any "perqs" she may be able to give now.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2018, 08:58 PM
MoviePass changing subscription model to maximum amount of movies per month to 3. Will begin August 15 for new subscriptions, or on renewal date for existing subscriptions.

Just got in the nick of time. If the company doesn't go under, I'll have a year without the 3 movie limitation. Honestly, I think 3 would be fine for me anyway. Hopefully they'll stay in existence for 12 months.

Catfan73
08-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a ponzi scheme. Collect money from new subscribers, use some of it when they’re ready to watch a movie, and pocket the rest. Make it a huge hassle and profit even more. The older I get, the more I adhere to the adage ‘If it looks too good to be true, it probably is’.

Darrell KSR
08-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a ponzi scheme. Collect money from new subscribers, use some of it when they’re ready to watch a movie, and pocket the rest. Make it a huge hassle and profit even more. The older I get, the more I adhere to the adage ‘If it looks too good to be true, it probably is’.Well, I think it is worked out well for people that have used it. I think the too-good-to-be-true part is on the part of the company, rather than the customer.

KentuckyWildcat
08-07-2018, 11:56 AM
I admit to not reading everything in this thread so this could be old news. But I heard it on the radio this morning.

Basically, they were saying this morning, they they grew faster than expected and ran out of money. They were hoping to secure discounted pricing and were never able to do so. So they were probably banking on cheaper ticket sales to them (fair enough) and people not really utilizing the deal (dumb). Will be interesting to see if this impacts movie attendance any.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Well, I will probably try it out sometime this weekend.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Started to go Friday, but no movies available anywhere. Pretty much a nationwide shutdown as I understand it.

Saturday the pickings were very slim, and was considering a late night movie after the UK game, but decided against it. Good thing, as I checked later and it had disappeared.

Two movies available today right now on the theatre close to me, but they may disappear during the day. I am going to run today, watch the UK game today, and grill, so I'm not sure that it will fit with my schedule anyway.

Who said buying an annual pass was a good idea? Oh, yeah. I did. Duh.

KentuckyWildcat
08-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Who said buying an annual pass was a good idea? Oh, yeah. I did. Duh.

Good idea and it has/had potential IMO. Just not a well thought out plan.

Darrell KSR
08-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Mission: Recoup Investment has begun.

$25.48 of "free" tickets purchased with two $89.99 (maybe $89 even, I don't remember).

$179.98 - $25.48 = $154.50 remaining. About six more movies to break even.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2018, 12:21 AM
So glad I didn't spend $ on Slender Man.

I was entertained by it, but if I had dropped $25.48 to see it I would have been irritated.

Darrell KSR
08-25-2018, 03:40 PM
$20.00 more.

A.X.L. looks terrible, but eating into recouping the investment.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Three movie theaters within 5 miles of me. Here's what is available, checking at 8:30 am. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/31056c5ef4b6dc23a009e356a35c6545.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/e60a0e33460df3ba66016a30f0615212.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/a888c411922c1725ac957aebd08a9c15.jpg

badrose
08-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Out of business?

Darrell KSR
08-31-2018, 03:35 PM
They are for today at those theaters!

I could drive a few more miles and see other movies--still--but those are, of course, the most convenient to me.

I'm going to a soccer game tonight anyway, but I like to check on weekends. That surprised me, at 8:30 in the morning. Evidently they ran out of money for those before the day started. Will be interesting to see if they have any available any time during the weekend. I'm guessing not.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2018, 05:46 PM
For what it's worth, they now show six movies available at one of the theaters near me. Crazy.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Here. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/0db1e63c3bec9bd6063a79df54da5b24.jpg

Darrell KSR
09-01-2018, 04:14 AM
15 movies available today at the closest one. Zero yesterday.

Catfan73
09-01-2018, 08:51 AM
New month?

Darrell KSR
09-01-2018, 11:13 AM
New month?

Good observation. New money?

KentuckyWildcat
09-09-2018, 10:00 PM
Slightly OT but I'll add it here.

What would you pay to avoid the theaters? The comments are fun to read the ignorance of some. They seem to not realize, this is not to replace movie rentals. But to rent theater releases. I like the idea a lot. Would love for this to happen. I like the one of idea in the comments of giving the theaters 10 days, to have two weekends, then charge $30 to rent it. I would do this. A family of 4 wait 10 days? Yep, sign me up. I don't even remember my last movie at a theater, but I never go opening weekend anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/22/rent-movie-still-in-theater-on-itunes-push/

badrose
09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I prefer to wait and buy either a blu-ray disc or a stream a title from Vudu. If I don't think I'd watch something more than once or twice I don't bother. Purchasing from Vudu is a pretty good deal. You can rent fairly cheap as well if that's your preference.

Darrell KSR
09-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Slightly OT but I'll add it here.

What would you pay to avoid the theaters? The comments are fun to read the ignorance of some. They seem to not realize, this is not to replace movie rentals. But to rent theater releases. I like the idea a lot. Would love for this to happen. I like the one of idea in the comments of giving the theaters 10 days, to have two weekends, then charge $30 to rent it. I would do this. A family of 4 wait 10 days? Yep, sign me up. I don't even remember my last movie at a theater, but I never go opening weekend anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/22/rent-movie-still-in-theater-on-itunes-push/

I think for many of you, that might be a good option. For us, $0.

At my house, they Netflix and Hulu and I don't know what all, but movie-watching is rare, as far as I know. My son likes to do it for a "date night," to get out of the house, for an "event," and so I don't think he'd be interested. Same for my daughter and her boyfriend, but they're in their mid-20's, and may be a different market.

I suspect that I will get burned out on going, but I have enjoyed getting out of the house for the evening as well. But we don't watch movies at home either, so we're not the target market for that kind of thing, even though we may be closer to the right age to take "advantage" of that, I dunno.

KentuckyWildcat
09-10-2018, 03:58 PM
I think for many of you, that might be a good option. For us, $0.

At my house, they Netflix and Hulu and I don't know what all, but movie-watching is rare, as far as I know. My son likes to do it for a "date night," to get out of the house, for an "event," and so I don't think he'd be interested. Same for my daughter and her boyfriend, but they're in their mid-20's, and may be a different market.

I suspect that I will get burned out on going, but I have enjoyed getting out of the house for the evening as well. But we don't watch movies at home either, so we're not the target market for that kind of thing, even though we may be closer to the right age to take "advantage" of that, I dunno.

In 35 years when my daughter is old enough to date, I don't want her going on a date to the movies. I'd rather have them at home with me sitting between them. Will be less awkward than me sitting between them in public.

Darrell KSR
09-10-2018, 04:21 PM
In 35 years when my daughter is old enough to date, I don't want her going on a date to the movies. I'd rather have them at home with me sitting between them. Will be less awkward than me sitting between them in public.Lol!

Darrell KSR
09-14-2018, 07:40 PM
$12.73 x2

KentuckyWildcat
09-14-2018, 08:05 PM
$12.73 x2$25.46 :)

Darrell KSR
09-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Lol. Sorry, was posting that from my seat and my wife let me know in no uncertain terms that the movie was starting.

Searching.

Add that to my recouped investment.

Darrell KSR
09-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Mission: Recoup Investment has begun.

$25.48 of "free" tickets purchased with two $89.99 (maybe $89 even, I don't remember).

$179.98 - $25.48 = $154.50 remaining. About six more movies to break even.
$20.00 more.

A.X.L. looks terrible, but eating into recouping the investment.
$25.46 :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TapatalkInvestment recoupment tally

109.04 remaining
83.58 remaining

Darrell KSR
09-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Movies so far:

Slender Man. Maybe 4/10
AXL 5/10
Searching 7/10
Mission Impossible: Fallout 10/10
Breakthrough 7/10

Updated with Breakthrough. I wouldn't mind paying for any movie that's a 7 or above. It was a little of a "Lifetime Movie" feel to it, but still ok, and true story, feel good, was worth it. Plus some basketball scenes added to it.

KSRBEvans
10-03-2018, 05:35 PM
In August MoviePass gave an ultimatum to subscribers: accept their new terms of service by August 20 or their accounts would be cancelled. (We were going to cancel, anyway, so we just chose not to accept the new terms.)

Now MoviePass is taking those of us who didn't opt in & unilaterally reinstating our memberships unless we actively opt out:

Just because you opted to cancel your MoviePass account when the company raised its prices recently doesn't mean the company is done with you. The beleaguered movie ticket subscription service seems to be restarting the memberships of customers who have already canceled or let their subscriptions lapse, according to Lifehacker and Business Insider.

Some former MoviePass users recently received emails (innocuously titled "MoviePass Updates") alerting them that their accounts would be reinstated unless they opted out by October 4. If the company didn't hear from them by then, MoviePass would automatically enroll them in its new $9.95, three-movie-a-month plan, effective October 5, according to the email. It was pitched as a “test group” designed to woo back subscribers who left the service when it began changing its terms over the last few months (including introducing surge pricing, reducing the number of movies users could see, and restricting the available showtimes).

http://mentalfloss.com/article/559352/moviepass-reinstating-charging-cancelled-subscribers

I checked my inbox and Mrs. BEvans and I are part of the "test group" (which I think is probably everybody who just let their memberships lapse).

I question whether they can do this without violating various states' Consumer Protection Acts (strikes me as an unfair and/or deceptive trade practice to reinstate you and charge you money without your approval)--but we're opting out this evening, anyway.

KSRBEvans
03-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Not sure if anybody here still has MoviePass, but apparently their latest business model (their 9th?) is circling back around to kind of their 1st one: "Unlimited … except when the company decides you’re not allowed to watch something."

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/20/moviepass-business-model/

Darrell KSR
03-20-2019, 08:40 AM
I'm still good, but basketball + soccer + college plays = no time.

I'm planning on using it next week, though.

KentuckyWildcat
03-20-2019, 05:52 PM
I still just want to rent movies in the theater at home. I feel like I've said that about a dozens time, but I'm still wanting that to happen lol

Darrell KSR
04-15-2019, 03:35 AM
I'm still good, but basketball + soccer + college plays = no time.

I'm planning on using it next week, though.I didn't do it. Getting close to a year, l hope we get at least our money's worth.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Investment recoupment tally

109.04 remaining
83.58 remainingSitting in a theatre in Georgia about to watch Breakthrough.

Tickets here a bargain, but saved 2 x $9.19 = $18.38.

Darrell KSR
05-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Wife reminded me she used it to watch a movie with her daughters on a girls night out. So the running tally is...

55.20 remaining

Still in the hole. I need 3 more movies with wife to make a profit. Wasn't the worse gift decision I've ever made--and it forced us to go to 5 movies (so far) together, and counting, which is probably--5 movies more--than we would've, so there's that benefit.

Still some time remaining. It's weird, my billing says my next billing is August 12. I know I activated it before then, but maybe I'll have all summer to recoup this as well.

KSRBEvans
05-14-2019, 10:31 AM
That's an interesting way to look at it--provides motivation for Date Night.

Darrell KSR
05-14-2019, 10:52 AM
That's an interesting way to look at it--provides motivation for Date Night.

We went to a movie at the beach (Dunkirk) two summers ago. Did not go to a movie since then until we started movie pass last summer, and did not go to one for at least a year, maybe two or more before that.

So far, we're paying $13.84 a movie. If it ended today, that wouldn't be horrible.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2019, 07:57 PM
MoviePass Services shut down on July 4th. The stated reason was because they needed to improve their app. Below is a cut and paste from their Twitter.

@MoviePass: @TheMightyFedra Hi, due to maintenance related issues, MoviePass services have been put on a temporary hold. Once we have resolved these technical problems, the service will be live again. We estimate this process will take several weeks. We sincerely appreciate your patience.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Sketchy. 8214
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/7067b7debd63f9c02082bc1d76d8da80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/33477fa143dc5d94cb1c64f6cbf97544.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/6797f216e2a53f359eee1ba4c9a03e66.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/2031c9ea116ed799d9aa45e272bcdd86.jpg

KSRBEvans
07-10-2019, 02:04 PM
"Recapitalize" is a bad word. Guess they finally ran out of money and couldn't raise any more.

I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Darrell KSR
07-10-2019, 03:34 PM
I think we will have slightly overpaid for what we got, but it forced us to go out and see a couple of movies we wouldn't have seen, so it's not all bad.

It won't bother me too much either way, but I would kind of like it if they would resume and add on some time, say, starting mid-August. Right now is just not a good time for us to go to the movies, but after we get our two still in college back to school, it will be good.

I doubt they resume, though. I think they're gone.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Surprisingly, I got it back yesterday. Received an email that said they were rolling out the new app, and downloaded it. Looks the same to me, but I can get movies again. Probably won't, though. Bad time of the year for me for the next two weeks.

Darrell KSR
09-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Day is done... 8358

KSRBEvans
09-17-2019, 01:13 PM
MoviePass drew in millions of subscribers, initially luring them with a $10 monthly rate. But that proved unsustainable. Because MoviePass typically pays theaters the full cost of tickets — $15 or more in big cities — a single movie can put the service in the red.

https://time.com/5677784/moviepass-shut-down/

Well, when you put it like that....

Darrell KSR
09-17-2019, 01:52 PM
I paid too much (or used it far too little), but I can say with a clear conscience, at least it got us out to watch movies, where we would not have before. I'm glad for that. Worth it to me, even as "frugal" as I am.

Darrell KSR
08-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Text of an email I received an hour ago...

Hello!

We are so excited to announce that we are beginning our launch sequence to bring MoviePass back. For those of you who don’t know MoviePass was sold back in 2017 to a private equity group and due to mismanagement subsequently closed its doors. Last year I, one of the original Founders, bought the company back with the plan to relaunch it. Time Magazine did a great piece that does a wonderful job of explaining the sequence of events that lead to this point.

I want to thank everyone for their support in helping us get here. So many of you have called, emailed and even stopped me on the street to show that you still had your original MoviePass card and talk about how much you loved the service. So if you were a 2012 OG or caught the wave towards the end we look forward to welcoming you back.

We will begin relaunching the service beginning Labor Day - September 5th. But prior to that we are opening up our waitlist to be able to join.

Being on the waitlist will be the only way to be able to sign up for the service in the foreseeable future. This Thursday, August 25, 2022 we will open the waitlist at 9a ET at MoviePass.com There is no cost to join the waitlist. Space will be limited and on a first come first serve basis. The engagement from the waitlist will help us to determine which markets we will open first and thereafter.

Each person who joins the waitlist will receive 10 friend invites that will activate when they sign up for the service. If you do not make it on the waitlist the only way you will be able to join in the future is to receive an invite from someone.

We are very excited to get back up and running and look forward to seeing you all at the movies soon.

Sincerely,

Stacy Spikes
Co-Founder/CEO
JOIN THE WAITLIST

Darrell KSR
08-23-2022, 10:59 AM
This is how OnePlus phones began in the U.S.

01 Days : 21 Hours : 00 Minutes : 18 Seconds

The new MoviePass Beta App will be accessible by invite only. When the timer reaches :00 the waitlist will be open for 5 days. All who join the waitlist will receive priority access to the service and 10 friend invites. Space is limited. Once the waitlist is closed the only way to join will be through an invite from a friend.

Catfan73
08-23-2022, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a good example of fool me once, shame on you. For me twice, shame on me.

Darrell KSR
08-23-2022, 11:51 AM
Here is an article on the relaunch and the new pricing tiers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-relaunching-details-how-to-sign-up-2022-8

KSRBEvans
08-23-2022, 12:03 PM
I was just thinking about MoviePass last week for some reason. Interesting they're trying to relaunch.

Darrell KSR
08-29-2022, 09:02 AM
I don't think I'm interested, but I did sign up for the waiting list.

KSRBEvans
08-29-2022, 09:12 AM
I don't think I'm interested, but I did sign up for the waiting list.

Same

Darrell KSR
11-02-2022, 08:39 AM
I don't think I have received anything yet from them--have you, BEvans?

KSRBEvans
11-02-2022, 10:37 AM
^Nope--last email was 9/6, announcing test markets (Chicago, Dallas, KC).

Darrell KSR
01-26-2023, 02:52 PM
Received my invitation.

Several layers/price plans. Supposedly the lowest allows 1-3 movies per month for $10/month. No steal deals like we saw before, but if you get 3 movies for that, not bad...

KSRBEvans
01-29-2023, 06:23 PM
I got the same. I'll have to take a look at the details--it's been quite a while since I attended movies regularly (just not that much I'm interested in seeing--TV is more interesting to me these days).

ETA: I decided not to sign up. I just don't think I'll get a lot of use out of it and I'm still gunshy from the last time.

Darrell KSR
01-29-2023, 08:33 PM
Same. Got an email this morning that said I had less than 24 hours left. It's a little fuzzy on details, but I briefly considered the $10 plan, but when they say "1-3“ movies, that's a pretty big range I'm not willing to accept.