PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Jailbreak Using Peanut Butter

blueboss
07-31-2017, 05:13 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/jailbreak-inmates-used-peanut-butter-to-fool-door-guard/ar-AAp8PNg?li=BBnb7Kz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
08-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Sad semi-related issue on this...

Local police chased a car they thought may have been the 12th (and last) escapee yesterday afternoon. There was a 4-car crash just feet away from where I taught yesterday (2 hours after the accident), and a person died.

http://www.wkul.com/local-news/fatality-on-valleydale-road-related-to-walker-county-escapee

dan_bgblue
08-01-2017, 11:20 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/jailbreak-inmates-used-peanut-butter-to-fool-door-guard/ar-AAp8PNg?li=BBnb7Kz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the report of the "great peanut butter escape" yesterday and could only shake my head in wonder about the qualifications required to be a jailer/jail guard/sheriff in Alabama.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2017, 11:36 AM
The pay is terrible and qualifications are minimal. I suspect they did a good job of mixing peanut butter to the same color as the numbers, and changed the number accordingly. I really could see a newbie who had memorized the correct numbers looking up, seeing the right number, and opening it. An experienced jailer would know the layout better but that takes time.

I really thought it was a funny story, but I don't think it means the new jailer is a simpleton.

suncat05
08-01-2017, 12:13 PM
The pay isn't all that here in Florida either, but on the other hand the minimum standards required by the FDLE(Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and its mandatory Basic Academy requirements are among some of the higher standards in the U.S.,meeting or exceeding the training standards in states like Texas, California, Arizona.........even Kentucky has very good minimum training requirements.
Some states just do not place as much emphasis on certain types of training. I guess the powers-that-be don't believe that some of these disciplines are as important as others in these places. Which is a real shame, given the fact that the detention officers work with the same dangerous criminals that the patrol officers and investigators have put in jail. And believe me, these people are just as dangerous inside the jail, to the detention officers and other staff, as they are to the public when they're not in jail.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I may be wrong, Suncat, but I don't think Alabama requires an equivalent basic academy training in order to be hired. I think their requirements are a high school graduate (or G.E.D.), no dishonorable discharge, no felony or domestic violence convictions, and have a driver's license. I'm sure they have some sort of training at some point, but I don't think that's required to be hired.

I think Florida is well ahead of Dixieland.

I could be wrong, but I think that's accurate.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Not a lot more, but the NY Times describes the escape as the inmates used the peanut butter like modeling clay.

On the whole, I don't think it is a bad as the escapes where inmates fashioned a gun out of a bar of soap, for example. I assume they manipulated the peanut butter and mixed it with dirt, or perhaps an ink pen, or something to make the coloring match the numbers on the tops of the cells. That's pretty clever. If you're a newbie, and memorized the jail numbers that are supposed to be ones you open to put inmates in cells, and see it--I can see this working. And, of course, it did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/us/alabama-inmates-escape-peanut-butter.html

A sad, semi-related note to this. Two hours before I taught class Monday night, just before the building in which I teach, there was a high speed car collision. They thought the 12th escapee was in the car with his girlfriend. It was a 4-car collision, and one person died.

Shook me up a little, because my son had just driven down there earlier. He just got his driver's license last week, and he's driving himself to soccer practices and workouts now.