PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I have a new respect for you academic folks

CitizenBBN
07-17-2017, 10:55 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-usc-doctor-20170717-htmlstory.html

Seriously, you academic folks on here need to invite your KSR friends out some. Hook us up and all.

Guy makes $200 million rain on his school, keeps his positive attitude by spending his off hours with hookers and drugs. Convenient since he's dean of a med school I guess.

KentuckyWildcat
07-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm apparently in the wrong field of education.

CitizenBBN
07-18-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm apparently in the wrong field of education.

I think he was in the "Breaking Bad" department.

PedroDaGr8
07-18-2017, 11:34 AM
There is a LOT of shadiness going on with some of the older male faculty in Academia. My ex-wife worked in a lab at the TSRI where the PI operated incredibly inappropriate. The stuff that the PI did and comments he made were straight out of the 1950s. Lifting up girls lab coats to see what they wore underneath, pulling on girls hair, talking about sex trips to SE Asia, comments about girls in the labs physical appearance, etc. The list goes on and on and it wasn't limited to one or two women. There were rumors of many worse things but I can only speak to what I know occurs. This guy had been sued before IIRC, supposedly settled, and nothing else happened. He was a complete creep to the women from start to finish. The girls couldn't say anything because they needed his letter of recommendation to get their career going. It was frustrating but there was basically nothing they can do that wouldn't risk literal career suicide. For some of these girls/women, here on student visas it could even mean losing their visa with no chance to get a work visa. The guy was, and still is, very well connected (just in the news recently for ones of his labs things).

KentuckyWildcat
07-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Pedro, I will not go into details but we had our fair share off that at one time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk