PDA

View Full Version : All Aboard

MickintheHam
07-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Began my 24 day rail adventure this afternoon. On the Crescent headed to New Orleans. Hope I am up to it.

KentuckyWildcat
07-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Have fun and be safe. Will enjoy hearing about your travels.

MickintheHam
07-14-2017, 02:59 PM
I am on my way to san Antonio, LA, San Francisco, Reno, Grand Junction and Denver. In SF I will meet up wth daughter and son-in-law. In Grand Junction I will go over to Moab and do some hiking. And in Denver I have tickets to RedRocks where I will see Tedeschi Trucks Band. If anyone has suggestions for these places let me know!

Darrell KSR
07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Please let me know how you enjoy it; particularly the Birmingham to New Orleans leg.

Have a great time.

KSRBEvans
07-14-2017, 03:16 PM
If Mrs. BEvans had been posting on the Travel Bucket List thread, your trip would be the one she would list. She really wants to take a long train trip through the country. Enjoy!

MickintheHam
07-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Please let me know how you enjoy it; particularly the Birmingham to New Orleans leg.

Have a great time.

Thanks. Of course the train to NOLA especially on Friday afternoon is a party train. If you are looking for the Quiet Car it is not on this train. It is nothing to keep you from reading or listening to good music.

Darrell KSR
07-14-2017, 04:51 PM
I remember back in the old days taking the Southwest Friday late afternoon flight to New Orleans. Fun times. The whole plane was pre-gaming.

MickintheHam
07-14-2017, 06:30 PM
I remember back in the old days taking the Southwest Friday late afternoon flight to New Orleans. Fun times. The whole plane was pre-gaming.
Those were great flights. I remember them well. On my way back to the dining car, I noted the two cars I walked through were much quieter. They were passengers picked up mostly in the Carolinas and Atlanta. The car I am riding in is mostly people who boarded in Birmingham.

blueboss
07-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Forward information on booking the trip you are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 08:50 AM

I will when I have a few minutes. Just boarded in NOLA for San Anton. Riding today on the top level of a double decker. My shortest stay ever in NOLA but I will return

CitizenBBN
07-15-2017, 09:08 AM
The car I am riding in is mostly people who boarded in Birmingham.

Given that the Alabama authorities have had to crack down on the rampant and uncontrolled alcoholic pitcher consumption in the state, I'd say it's little surprise the Bama passengers would be more rowdy. ;)

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Given that the Alabama authorities have had to crack down on the rampant and uncontrolled alcoholic pitcher consumption in the state, I'd say it's little surprise the Bama passengers would be more rowdy. ;)

They were a bit rowdy, but not obnoxious and nothing to keep you from enjoying the trip. This morning it is really nice. Walked a mile from my hotel in the warehouse district to the passenger station. It was as pleasant as it could be with a 75 degree dew point and 100% humidity. I passed a hundred or so people who were in town for a fitness convention. I was hoping to see some good looking women in their spandex outfits. Unfortunately it was the biggest collection of knee braces, elbow braces, ankle braces, headbands and homely looking women I have ever observed. Lots of wrinkled and cracked skin.

In contrast there was an African American women's religous convention also in town. At 6:45 am these women were dressed in their finest clothes and jewelry and were absolutely stunning.

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Have a great time.

Darrell, the train was an hour late into NOLA, but not a big deal. As crazy as it sounds the Penn Station construction has wreaked havoc on the Crescent. But I have a suggestion for you. If you ever need about 5 hours of uninterrupted work time to read or write, the train is perfect! I spent much of the time sorting through files and editing playlists. This were actiities I would never have done at home.

Darrell KSR
07-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Darrell, the train was an hour late into NOLA, but not a big deal. As crazy as it sounds the Penn Station construction has wreaked havoc on the Crescent. But I have a suggestion for you. If you ever need about 5 hours of uninterrupted work time to read or write, the train is perfect! I spent much of the time sorting through files and editing playlists. This were actiities I would never have done at home.
Great suggestion. I could see backing up photos and videos on external hard drives, organizing photos on laptop, doing "real" work, or just reading a book or books on Kindle.

Dumb questions that I probably could look up.

* Does the train have electrical outlets for plugging in if needed?

* Wi-fi availability?

* If no Wi-fi availability, how's the general cell phone coverage for a hot spot? I have a poor reception provider compared to many (T-Mobile), so your answer may not apply.

* Are there tables available (even very small ones, just big enough for a small laptop) for use besides at the dining car?

I'm not sure I'd want to spend that long on the train just buying my head in a laptop, but just wondering about the availability...

Darrell KSR
07-15-2017, 10:56 AM
They were a bit rowdy, but not obnoxious and nothing to keep you from enjoying the trip. This morning it is really nice. Walked a mile from my hotel in the warehouse district to the passenger station. It was as pleasant as it could be with a 75 degree dew point and 100% humidity. I passed a hundred or so people who were in town for a fitness convention. I was hoping to see some good looking women in their spandex outfits. Unfortunately it was the biggest collection of knee braces, elbow braces, ankle braces, headbands and homely looking women I have ever observed. Lots of wrinkled and cracked skin.

In contrast there was an African American women's religous convention also in town. At 6:45 am these women were dressed in their finest clothes and jewelry and were absolutely stunning.
You are lucky you were walking that early in the morning. You'll be drenched a little later in the day. You may have been by that time. I love New Orleans, but mid-July... Not sure there is a good time to be outside ;)

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Great suggestion. I could see backing up photos and videos on external hard drives, organizing photos on laptop, doing "real" work, or just reading a book or books on Kindle.

Dumb questions that I probably could look up.

* Does the train have electrical outlets for plugging in if needed?

* Wi-fi availability?

* If no Wi-fi availability, how's the general cell phone coverage for a hot spot? I have a poor reception provider compared to many (T-Mobile), so your answer may not apply.

* Are there tables available (even very small ones, just big enough for a small laptop) for use besides at the dining car?

I'm not sure I'd want to spend that long on the train just buying my head in a laptop, but just wondering about the availability...
I am currently in New Iberia, LA

There is an electrical plug at each seat. Crescent has wi-fi available throughout the train. You have to picture your legs having as much room as any place in your home. Seats are plenty.wide, almost lazyboy room. The seats in front of me are fully reclined and I don't even recognize it. I mention all of this because it is a stark contrast to the cabin on a plane or the comfort of a charter bus. This morning there is no noise and I have the wonderful scenery of the South Louisiana rice fields and paddies.

The only wi-fi on the Sunset Limited to LA is in the lounge/cafe. I believe we may pick it up throughout the train in San Antonio. All trains on the East Coast have it I believe. I have had little trouble with the cell signal. With the wi-fi there is just an occassional outage. Nothing significant.

The Crescent has a cafe/lounge. This train also has a dining car for sit down service. I have a dinner reservation tonight at 8. The cafe/lounge cars have small tables, but I find my seat table more comfortable and private to use. There is an on train web site that is much like Uber. It shows you where the train is, how fast it is going and estimated arrival times. (All something the airlines could do but don't).

I don't find myself moving around the train as much as I thought I would. I am content where I am.

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Well, I headed to the lounge car. Nice experience. Partially domed roof. Chairs face the windows. Watched an afternoon thunderstorm blow up in South Louisiana. Really neat.

I just remembered my seat has an upholstered foot rest, very much as you would find on a lazyboy.

Darrell KSR
07-15-2017, 04:07 PM
Cool experience. Much better than the greyhound I took years ago (leave the driving to someone else... Was picking up a car in a town with a tiny airport.)

jazyd
07-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Mick, enjoy yourself, it will be a great trip to remember. Glad you could retire and enjoy this before you get my age :)

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Cool experience. Much better than the greyhound I took years ago (leave the driving to someone else... Was picking up a car in a town with a tiny airport.)

When it comes to service and comfort, don't think in terms of commercial bus or an airline. The airlines have been servicing the American public for years.

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 05:40 PM
I just want to live as long as you skip!

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Boss, i did all the initial work on the Amtrak site. I first bought a rail pass.(it was about $688 for a 30 day pass with 12 stops). 15 day pass is under $500. I then decided where I wanted to go. Now I am using stops I don't want such as LA and New Orleans for a second time. I also am missing out on Salt Lake City just because I didn't want to get off the train in the middle of the night. But I will get to see Glenwood Canyon with someone else driving, which is one of the purposes of the trip.

With a rail pass, you can buy the pass on-line but you can't book the segments on-line. That turned out better as I had a few questions about the pass they answered. Also you have to pick up the pass and tickets in person. A 15 day pass would have been easier to decide where to go. 30 days takes a lot of planning.

One other wrinkle was the need to be in certain cities at certain times. I am meeting my daughter in SF at a time they can take off work. That was after I bought tickets to Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver. The net result was It squeezed the time I am spending in San Antonio and Austin. I am not complaining, it is just detail planning. It is causing me to wing it a bit on what I am going to do while I am in some cities. For examples I don't have a place to stay in LA and I don't have a good idea of what I will do. I am not concerned about it though. If nothing else I can go to the beach and a Dodgers' game. They are playing the damn Braves.

But if you have questions I'll be glad to help.

blueboss
07-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Boss, i did all the initial work on the Amtrak site. I first bought a rail pass.(it was about $688 for a 30 day pass with 12 stops). 15 day pass is under $500. I then decided where I wanted to go. Now I am using stops I don't want such as LA and New Orleans for a second time. I also am missing out on Salt Lake City just because I didn't want to get off the train in the middle of the night. But I will get to see Glenwood Canyon with someone else driving, which is one of the purposes of the trip.

With a rail pass, you can buy the pass on-line but you can't book the segments on-line. That turned out better as I had a few questions about the pass they answered. Also you have to pick up the pass and tickets in person. A 15 day pass would have been easier to decide where to go. 30 days takes a lot of planning.

One other wrinkle was the need to be in certain cities at certain times. I am meeting my daughter in SF at a time they can take off work. That was after I bought tickets to Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver. The net result was It squeezed the time I am spending in San Antonio and Austin. I am not complaining, it is just detail planning. It is causing me to wing it a bit on what I am going to do while I am in some cities. For examples I don't have a place to stay in LA and I don't have a good idea of what I will do. I am not concerned about it though. If nothing else I can go to the beach and a Dodgers' game. They are playing the damn Braves.

But if you have questions I'll be glad to help.

With the Amtrak pass is that coach or do you get a sleepette/ bedroom?

When you arrive in a city do you book your own hotel and arrange travel to and from the station?

Obviously all your dining on the train is in the dining car how's the prices and the food.

I looked up a scenic trip on American Rail Tours and a 14 day western trip listed for around $3300/person but included all hotel accommodations, side tours, and meals. It came with a coach seat which as you described sound nice and spacious. Roomettes were $645 extra while bedrooms were $1395 extra.

MickintheHam
07-15-2017, 09:37 PM
My travel is coach. I only have one or two nights that I stay on the train and decided the upgrade to sleeper is not worth it. Besides I didn't want to be in a room all day. I make my own hotel arrangements from 69$ to 170$. I have 7 nights out of 20 using points.

Prices I find reasonable. Tonights dinner was 16.95 for a chicken breast, vegetables, potato and salad. Veggies. Had been frozen but well prepared. $4 for a can of ginger ale, $6 for a margarita, $7 for a bourbon. I don't each much anymore. Hotel breakfast and evening dinner. Snack on mixed nuts and raisins during the day. Not counting meals,(a cost I would have if I stayed home anyway), i'll spend $3500 to $4000 for 25 days. A week at the beach cost me more than that.

catmanjack
07-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Mick thanks for sharing your trip and experience!

MickintheHam
07-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Mick thanks for sharing your trip and experience!
I am having a blast! I had a spectacular trip up the California Coast yesterday. The shoreline in places was no more than 50 yards away. I have met some of the most fascinating people along the way. So friendly you would think they were all raised in Kentucky!

catmanjack
07-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Sounds like an amazing trip! One to remember!

dan_bgblue
07-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Do you know what the cruising speed of the train is in open country? Also when going thru towns do you get to see a lot of back yards?

kingcat
07-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Good questions guys. I was curious about seeing wildlife. As in "animals" of course.

This sounds like an awesome experience. I'm a little envious Mick

MickintheHam
07-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Do you know what the cruising speed of the train is in open country? Also when going thru towns do you get to see a lot of back yards?

Speed is all over the place. But if it concerns you, take the plane or drive. 75 or 80 is likely top speed. You see back yards, dumps and front yards. Coming up the coast we were less than 10 to 20 yards from the shore. No road not even 101 was in sight. Climb through the mountains coming out of san Luis Obispo was breath taking. What you see is unvarnished America. Watching the wildlife is fun Especially the two mule deer we saw in the middle of nowhere in South Texas.

blueboss
07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
I've started a sales pitch to Mrs. boss on a train ride....

Wish me luck...

MickintheHam
07-24-2017, 09:49 AM
The train was over two hours late arriving inSF from LA. There wasn't one complaint. When you are trated well and are thoroughly enjoying yourself it is hard to be upset over time. It's like riding the Ferris wheel when they forget to unload your car. You get to ride longer.

For the most part, the trains run on schedule. The Sunset Ltd from NOLA to LA was on time or early at every station. The heat on the tracks and some emergency maintenance caused the train to run at slowere speeds through the inland valley in Cali and up the Mountain near San Luis Obispo.

The great parts of the trip are the views in the lounge car and the people. The lounge car has seats that face the window and you can ride there for hours watching the world around you. I can't wait untilmlater in the week when we will pass through Glenwood canyon in CO. In all my travels it is one of the Top 5 scenic areas. Im living on the extended time God has given me since I complete my work career. I couldn't care less if a trip takes 3 hours or 3 weeks if I am enjoying it. The cross-country train is the destination, not the means to get to a destination.

MickintheHam
07-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Here is a favorite pic from somewhere near Del Rio TX.6697

It was the start to a great day.

MickintheHam
07-24-2017, 10:17 AM
I've started a sales pitch to Mrs. boss on a train ride....

Wish me luck...

If you only get to take one trip take either the Coast Starlight or California Zephyr. The Starlight runs from San Diego to Seattle. The views are breathtaking. Zephyr runs between Chicago and Emeryville CA. Where the Hell is Emeryville you might ask. It is just North of Oakland and serves the entire Bay Area.

CitizenBBN
07-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Really enjoying following your reports Mick. I've wanted to take a big train trip, not sure if i'll ever happen but your reports are giving me a real feel for what to expect.

My gut says I'd want a cabin type setup, but sounds like you're happy without it and doing the hotel thing.

MickintheHam
07-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Really enjoying following your reports Mick. I've wanted to take a big train trip, not sure if i'll ever happen but your reports are giving me a real feel for what to expect.

My gut says I'd want a cabin type setup, but sounds like you're happy without it and doing the hotel thing.
If I were to do it again I would get a sleeping berth if I was staying overnight on the train but it was interesting to get off wherever you are when its time to think about dinner and a bed.

Here is a pic of my space when the chair in front is fully reclined. I have room to cross my legs and plenty of table space. Outlet is to my left.6698

CitizenBBN
07-25-2017, 12:18 AM
So the trains stop every night basically for these kinds of trips? Wasn't sure how it worked really, I did some really shallow research years ago, but nothing much.

I'd lean towards a berth just for privacy and such, but I don't know what kinds of rooms those are either really, and I'm sure it varies by train.

I did look at taking the train from here (maysville rather) to DC for a trip, but the timing wasn't going to work out very well so I didn't dig in much.

MickintheHam
07-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Train does not stop. For example when I saw the train to LA stopped in San Antonio at midnight I Stopped there. Since this particular route did not run daily, i rented a car and drove to Austin the next night and got to go to Antones and a couple other great bars. Fantastic time. Drove back and got on the train.

catmanjack
07-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Mick enjoying your trip reports.

kingcat
07-27-2017, 08:31 PM
I was wondering, are there still train robbers? Closest Ive heard of is your everyday subway muggings in NY

Watch out for these types Mick..
http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Ann-Margret/Annex/Annex%20-%20Ann-Margret%20(Train%20Robbers,%20The)_01.jpg

Darrell KSR
07-28-2017, 03:22 PM
Mick enjoying your trip reports.
Same.

bigsky
07-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Great reports Mick. Almost makes me want to ask the government to invest two billion so you could ride thru here.

You are right to take advantage while you can.

MickintheHam
07-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Great reports Mick. Almost makes me want to ask the government to invest two billion so you could ride thru here.

You are right to take advantage while you can.

It is hard to imagine the cross-country trains lasting longer. But the government needs to make a commitment to mass transportation. We cannot continue to pour concrete and widen roads. The subsidizaion of rail transportation pales in comparison to the waste in the rransportation depts, Fed and state.

MickintheHam
07-29-2017, 10:54 PM
Well, today we were mooned twice by rafters on the Colorado River today.

kingcat
07-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Well, today we were mooned twice by rafters on the Colorado River today.

Its all about making memories Mick

MickintheHam
07-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Its all about making memories Mick

It made a memory for the Grandma sitting next to me in the lounge car. She was quicker than me and got a snapshot of the second one.

jazyd
08-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Mick, Ed says he is jealous.

First because you are single

Second, the great trip

:)

He did say he thought it was a great trip for you and in secret he wishes he was single

Keep enjoying

MickintheHam
08-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Mick, Ed says he is jealous.

First because you are single

Second, the great trip

:)

He did say he thought it was a great trip for you and in secret he wishes he was single

Keep enjoying

Wish I had read this earlier today. We passed through Jackson about noon. I would have been happy to have picked him up. Is this the wife that wasn't happy living with him in Starkville?

jazyd
08-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Wish I had read this earlier today. We passed through Jackson about noon. I would have been happy to have picked him up. Is this the wife that wasn't happy living with him in Starkville?

One and the same

MickintheHam
08-07-2017, 09:21 AM
One and the same
Hope she is a goodcook.

CGWildcat
08-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Awesome to follow along with your travels!

MickintheHam
08-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Coastie, I appreciate your suggestions on San Francisco. We had a great time! Dinner was excellent. It's hard to sift through all the restaurants that SF has to offer. Next visit I am headed to Wine Country. It will be sooner rather than later. Life is too short.

Darrell KSR
10-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Not the same thing, but wife took the Crescent City Classic from Birmingham to New Orleans earlier this week to spend a few days with her family in New Orleans, celebrating some...I don't know what. Do you really need an excuse to celebrate in New Orleans?

Picking her up at the train station today. She told me she enjoyed the train, but it was cold. She always has a sweater or something with her--she's from New Orleans, and 75 degrees is "cold" to her.

Catfan73
10-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Looking forward to the new Murder on the Orient Express movie :P

MickintheHam
10-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Not the same thing, but wife took the Crescent City Classic from Birmingham to New Orleans earlier this week to spend a few days with her family in New Orleans, celebrating some...I don't know what. Do you really need an excuse to celebrate in New Orleans?

Picking her up at the train station today. She told me she enjoyed the train, but it was cold. She always has a sweater or something with her--she's from New Orleans, and 75 degrees is "cold" to her.
It is always cold on the train