PDA

View Full Version : Travel Bucket List?

KentuckyWildcat
07-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Who has one? What is on it and what have you crossed off? Mine is mostly beaches and coastlines.

I've been to:
Daytona Beach
Gulf Shores
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach
Siesta Key
Sanibel
Hilton Head
Tybee/Savannah
Isle of Palms/Foley/Charleston
Asheville/Biltmore
Gatlinburg
French Lick
St. Lucia

In no particular order:

Still want to see:
St. Augustine/Jacksonville/Amelia Island
Cape Cod
Maine
Oregon coast
Colorado
Parts of the NorthWest (not sure what I all want to see yet)
Alaska
Outer Banks
Florida Keys
Mediterranean cruise
Bora Bora

Maybe to see:
Grand Canyon
Niagara Falls
Texas Coast (maybe South Padre)
Canada

I'm sure I have left some areas off of each list.

KSRBEvans
07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Except for going to Seattle on business a few years ago I've never been west of the Mississippi. There are so many things I want to see out west: Yellowstone, Yosemite, Redwood National Forest, Monument Valley, just to name a few.

Just got back from my 1st Europe trip and now I want to see it all. London, Paris and Normandy are at the top of the list.

dan_bgblue
07-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Have visited

Been to Europe when I was 16 and saw parts of England, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium, with 9 other Explorer scouts in 2 camper buses.
3 Hawaiian islands, Oahu, Maui, Kauai.
Puerto Rico
St Thomas and St John
Florida Keys, every dang one of them
Seems like I have been to almost every dang beach east of the Mississippi that is accessible to man.
Grand Canyon
Muir Woods
Alamo
Cape Canaveral
Mamouth Cave and other caves in that vicinity
Air Station Miramar near San Diego. Visit if you love fast planes and cool aviation related military stuff
Hoover Dam
Washington DC, capital mall with all the monuments, and spent 2 days at the Smithsonian. Really want to go back for some more time there
Napa Valley

Want to see

Carlsbad Caverns
Alaska
Northeast coast and Niagara Falls
Northwest coast
Southern Rocky Mountains
Boat trip down the Mississippi from Minnesota to the gulf.
Cruise down route 66 from one end to the other. Probably take a month to accomplish
Big bend area of Texas. I have seen the rest of that state
Upper peninsula of Michigan
Mt Rushmore

Lots more, but since I do not figure I will ever make all the ones above, I guess that is enough. ;-)

Darrell KSR
07-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Not really. My wife likes to travel more than I do. Maybe one day we'll be in a position to do that.

I've been to San Francisco, Pebble Beach for a week. That was my favorite non-family trip, mainly because I was playing some of the finest and most famous golf courses in America.

Almost lost our van at the Golden Gate bridge. Mesmerized, our driver forgot to put it in park and it started rolling downhill. All we could think of was it had four sets of golf clubs and gear in it, and we couldn't lose it.

Have been to Hawaii, many of the Florida beaches, the Keys, lived in Miami and New Orleans. Have done the stuff around here like Gatlinburg, Smoky Mountains, Appalachian Trail, etc. South Carolina beach, Savannah, all that jazz.

Denver, but on business. Did get to see the Avalanche play with seats literally on the glass, which was very cool.

Houston, Dallas, a few other Texas places. St. Louis, of course (for Western Ky. Cardinals fans, that's a given eventually). Atlanta, I guess I should add, but not sure why.

Been to the Cayman Islands. Bahamas.

Not much else, really. Just hasn't been a priority to me. Kids have been to many more than I have. I've never been to NYC, Chicago, etc., and they have vacationed there with school trips and trips with friends. Wife has been to Europe, England, Italy, France, etc. Not me. I'm more of a homebody, I guess.

Where would I like to go?

Lost of similarity to Dan's list. I won't look at it, but just sorta ramble and probably hit many of the same.

Alaska probably at the top of the list. Grand Canyon. I guess Las Vegas, just to say I've been. NYC and Chicago, I suppose. I'd love to go to Hawaii again. San Diego is a place I'd love to visit. Yosemite. Niagara Falls. Let me play tourist a little. Mount Rushmore. I'm sure I'm forgetting some more. Philadelphia and Boston.

Any place my wife would like to go in Europe, I suppose. I enjoy myself whereever I am, frankly. I think I could go to Hickman, Kentucky, and have a good time seeing the sites. And have.

blueboss
07-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Seychelles

Train ride/ cruise through the north west Alaska etc.

Australia, while I'm in the Seychelles, why not... might as well throw in New Zealand as well... ok, and Fiji.

Well crap... might as well check out Japan on the way back

Greece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
07-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Been to

Paris several times
London
Rome
Kenya
Tanzania
Cancun
Belize
Cozumel
Costa Rica
Bahamas more times than I can count
Toronto
Portugal
Qatar
Switzerland
French Rivera
Germany

Within the USA, probably every state but Alaska. Headed to HI next month. Colorado is one of my favorite. (Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckinridge, Aspen). Park City Utah is nice as well.

We are looking to schedule vacation next year. Spain is one of the finalists, along with Ireland and Scotland. We are also considering Brazil and Germany for Oktoberfest. The communist blocks are out due to my wife's job but I'd like to go to Russia and Cuba.....maybe after she retires.

ribbonfish
07-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Interesting thread. Will add mine once got home.

KentuckyWildcat
07-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Interesting thread. Will add mine once got home.

Somewhat a selfish thread :) I thought it would be neat to share but to also get new ideas.

KSRBEvans
07-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I'll also say I've gotten very interested in hiking the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail the last couple of years. I'm a fading (faded) quasi-athlete (emphasis on quasi) and think of it as the last big challenge I could take on as I get older. However, getting 6 months to do it is not going to happen. By the time I have that amount of time I'll probably be too old to try it*.

Mrs. BEvans and I are thinking about a shorter hike, the Cotswolds Way (http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/cotswold-way) in England, for our 30th next summer. You basically walk from small town to small town and stay at B&Bs as you go.

(However, the 1st woman to thru-hike the AT was 68. The book about her adventure, Grandma Gatewood's Walk (https://www.amazon.com/Grandma-Gatewoods-Walk-Inspiring-Appalachian/dp/1613734999), is a good read.)

PedroDaGr8
07-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Who has one? What is on it and what have you crossed off? Mine is mostly beaches and coastlines.

I've been to:
All up and down both coasts. Farthest NE is NYC. My favorites so far are San Diego, Portland, St. George Island/Appalachicola, Sannibel and SoBe Miami.
Grand Canyon - you know how you see pictures and you get there and they don't live up the hype? The Grand Canyon is the reverse, there is no way a picture could be that awe inspiring.
Sedona
St. George Island
India
Germany
Switzerland
Thailand
Vietnam
Canada

I want to go to:
Zion (and the other National Parks in that area). I get the feeling they are like the GC, nothing can do them justice but seeing them.
Yosemite
Japan
Korea (will likely get to do that for a day in Feb.)
Venice
Naples
Vienna
Prague

bigsky
07-12-2017, 07:41 PM
I live where I want to be. I need to escape in February. Guess I might go to St Louis in March, dunno why...

https://matadornetwork.com/read/matador-guide-best-college-towns-america/

dan_bgblue
07-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Sorry for my earlier omission. I definitely want to see western Montana

KentuckyWildcat
07-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Sorry for my earlier omission. I definitely want to see western Montana
Maybe someone has a spare room for us all? :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

blueboss
07-12-2017, 10:18 PM
I'll also say I've gotten very interested in hiking the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail the last couple of years. I'm a fading (faded) quasi-athlete (emphasis on quasi) and think of it as the last big challenge I could take on as I get older. However, getting 6 months to do it is not going to happen. By the time I have that amount of time I'll probably be too old to try it*.

Mrs. BEvans and I are thinking about a shorter hike, the Cotswolds Way (http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/cotswold-way) in England, for our 30th next summer. You basically walk from small town to small town and stay at B&Bs as you go.

(However, the 1st woman to thru-hike the AT was 68. The book about her adventure, Grandma Gatewood's Walk (https://www.amazon.com/Grandma-Gatewoods-Walk-Inspiring-Appalachian/dp/1613734999), is a good read.)

My neighbor is currently hiking the Pacific Coast Trail, he started at the bottom in April. Two years ago he walked the Appalachian Trail which he actually walked in two different segments.

I'm like you, I'm not getting any younger to be able to handle it. I don't have six months where I could take off now to walk them.

Catonahottinroof
07-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Only 3 left I really want to visit....

Spain//Mallorca/Ibiza
Ireland
Cabo San Lucas, MX and the Baja

ribbonfish
07-17-2017, 01:54 AM
Okay, here's mine as below.

Beaches & Coastline I've been to:
Daytona Beach
Cocoa Beach
Miami Beach
Key West
Kennedy Space Center
Santa Monica Beach
Beach in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico
Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand
Phi Phi Leh Island, Thailand

Those in bold is my recommendations.

Parks I've been to:
Yosemite
Grand Canyon
Niagara Falls
Carlsbad Caverns
White Sands
Lake Tahoe, among others

Countries and some favorite Cities in US I've been to:
United States of America (ha-ha!)
-Santa Fe, NM Durango, CO San Francisco, CA NOLA
Mexico (Mostly boarder cities like Tijuana, Juarez)
China - Xian, Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Tianshui
Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket
Japan - where my life is going on, but lots of beautiful places here

In no particular order:
Still want to see:
Canada
Alaska
Hawaii
Guam
Bali
Perth
Gold Coast
Cancun
Okinawa

There are so many more but I guess I like beautiful oceans.

Diana Welch
07-20-2017, 10:13 PM
I wanna go to Chicago. I hope my schedule will not be too tight this August.

catmanjack
07-21-2017, 09:38 PM
A rafting trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon would be amazing.

bigsky
07-22-2017, 07:37 PM
If you cant get on the Colorado the Snake river offers some big thrills

catmanjack
07-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Bigsky have you ever had the pleasure of rafting on those?
Would enjoy visiting Montana also.

Doc
07-23-2017, 06:50 AM
A rafting trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon would be amazing.

We did that last summer. Pretty amazing

catmanjack
07-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Would enjoy hearing about that trip Doc.

uklandrn
07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
I want to go to Bali and the Seychelles. That is purely because of how incredibly gorgeous it looks.
For my true bucket list - I want to go on what is called the "Band of Brothers" tour. You travel to Normandy and follow the route Easy Company followed in WWII. The history would be amazing to me. I would then like to visit some of the concentration camps - especially Aushwitz. After that - I would like to do the same thing on the Pacific side - start at Pearl Harbor and travel to the islands where the most intense fighting occured during WWII - Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima, Okanawa, the Phillipines - to see the monument to those who were left behind and endured the Bataan Death March.
Of course I would love to see Italy and the Amalfi Coast and Rome. I would love to go to Greece. But mostly I want to visit and see where the greatest generation fought and died for our freedom. That is just me. Of course I have lived in some of the most beautiful areas in the country - When Glacier National Park is your back yard you know you are blessed. I will live there again -if I can finsih school and find the right job.

Doc
07-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Would enjoy hearing about that trip Doc.

I could only do a one day trip due to a back that would not survive. Our trip started west of the national park in the Indian reservation, and the trip was run by the Hualapai Indian tribe. You want a motorized boat as its not all rapids so if you row, you will be rowing alot. We were able.to swim off the rafts and jump off cliffs in calm areas of the river. Because it is Indian territory, they allow it without fear of being sued as would happen in the Grand Canyon National Park. The trip was fabulous. Landscape amazing. Ill find some photos and post. Were on the river for probably 5 to 6 hrs and had a nice riverside lunch. At the end we caught a helicopter that flew us from the bottom of the gourge to the top which was as cool as the river trip. The cost for 5 of us, including the helicopter, was about $3500, give or take

https://www.grandcanyonwest.com/hualapai-river-runners-and-colorado-river.htm

Im glad we did it.but once is enough. Are better rapid trip. Did the Colorado river in CO, twice. Once out.of Idaho Spring and once out of Glenwood Canyon. Glanwood for the scenery is unimaginable while the Idaho Springs has more challenging rapids

dan_bgblue
07-28-2017, 08:11 PM
If one is a thrill junkie and likes whitewater adventures, they do not have to travel west of the Mississippi to get a dose of scared witless. When they are releasing water from the dam, a trip on the Upper portion of the Gauley river is a run I have never forgotten. Lower Gauley and a trip on the New River which is very close by is a very good trip as well, but is much less taxing.

I can highly recommend this river guide service (https://www.gauley.com/adventures/whitewater-rafting/) if you were inclined to take a trip this fall.

I am sure the scenery is not up to par with what someone might see in the canyons of the west, but it is not chopped liver either.

Doc
07-28-2017, 09:48 PM
If one is a thrill junkie and likes whitewater adventures, they do not have to travel west of the Mississippi to get a dose of scared witless. When they are releasing water from the dam, a trip on the Upper portion of the Gauley river is a run I have never forgotten. Lower Gauley and a trip on the New River which is very close by is a very good trip as well, but is much less taxing.

I can highly recommend this river guide service (https://www.gauley.com/adventures/whitewater-rafting/) if you were inclined to take a trip this fall.

I am sure the scenery is not up to par with what someone might see in the canyons of the west, but it is not chopped liver either.

Just one thing to add....If you hear banjo music, paddle faster!!

Darrell KSR
07-28-2017, 11:42 PM
I'd like to do the rafting trip in a pontoon boat. Is that OK?

MickintheHam
07-29-2017, 10:46 AM
I am going about the process of visiting some places I have been before. When I was a kid, every year my dad would give me a big Rand McNalley Road Atlas. The cover was always a picture of a National Park, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. I wanted to visit all. Yesterday, I revisited Arches and Canyonland. I was just as thrilled as before if not more so. I tackled the Delicate Arch Trail, labeled difficult only 3 miles, but 486 ft of elevation change and mostly over sometimes slick sandstone. It took a couple of stops to reach the top and the heat at midday was not my friend. But, it was so worth it. Next year it will be a return visit to Bryce and Zion. Yes, there are exotic places I would like to go, but want to visit the ones that require physical exertion first.

Doc
07-30-2017, 12:02 PM
I'd like to do the rafting trip in a pontoon boat. Is that OK?

so long as there is plenty of beer.