PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Georgia

catmanjack
06-24-2017, 12:33 AM
Heading to Savannah on Sunday July 1st, girlfriend's birthday gift!
Looking for places and ideas for fun.

MickintheHam
06-24-2017, 06:03 AM
There are plenty on the board who know more about Savannah than me, but I have three suggestions

Rent bikes to get around. Savannah is flat and provides easy biking. Walking and biking are the way to go. I found driving (or should I say Parking) to be an inconvenience in Savannah.

Find the movie or book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Read or watch before you go. My travel companion read the book in the car on the way there. It will provide a great backdrop for your trip.

Eat breakfast at Clary's Cafe. No trip to Savannah is complete without going there. Breakfast is great.

BigBluePappy
06-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Leopold's Ice Cream.
Mrs. Wilkes Restaurant
St Johns
The Pirate House Restaurant
River Street - get you some fresh pralines.

Blueboss and Catonahottinroof steered me in the absolute best direction on these little gems and Mick hit it out of the park.

catmanjack
06-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the help.

jazyd
06-24-2017, 10:48 PM
There are plenty on the board who know more about Savannah than me, but I have three suggestions

Rent bikes to get around. Savannah is flat and provides easy biking. Walking and biking are the way to go. I found driving (or should I say Parking) to be an inconvenience in Savannah.

Find the movie or book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Read or watch before you go. My travel companion read the book in the car on the way there. It will provide a great backdrop for your trip.

Eat breakfast at Clary's Cafe. No trip to Savannah is complete without going there. Breakfast is great.

Travel companion????

MickintheHam
06-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Travel companion????

It damn sure wasn't you!!

Catonahottinroof
06-25-2017, 09:54 PM
If you have time, Tybee Island is 20 minutes away.

blueboss
07-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the help.

Bonaventure Cemetery is worth a look for site seeing....

Honey Pecan Fried Chicken and/or seafood aug gratin at the Pirate House...no need to send a thank you card

http://bonaventurecemeterytours.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
07-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Honey Pecan Fried Chicken and/or seafood au gratin at the Pirate House...

The only time Grammy has ever been stingy about sharing a bite of what she got, was the Pecan Fried Chicken at the Pirate House. After I "stole" a bite, I understood why. And the low country boil with cheese grits was to die for. I leterally could feel my arteries hardening but it was worth it. ANd that was a tip from you and catonahottinroof, if my old memory serves me...

blueboss
07-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Honey Pecan Fried Chicken and/or seafood au gratin at the Pirate House...

The only time Grammy has ever been stingy about sharing a bite of what she got, was the Pecan Fried Chicken at the Pirate House. After I "stole" a bite, I understood why. And the low country boil with cheese grits was to die for. I leterally could feel my arteries hardening but it was worth it. ANd that was a tip from you and catonahottinroof, if my old memory serves me...

We've eaten at so many restaurants in Savanna it's hard to keep them all straight. Pirate House honey pecan chicken is easy to remember.

Pink House
Circa 1875
Alligator Soul
... are all good "date night spots"

I think it was Fiddlers Crab House had all you can eat crab legs which I can definitely get my money's worth there. There's also a place called Loves it's aways from dtown. Sits on a river and has a great view of the sunsets. Food was decent, I'm glad I went just because of the location.

We had a fun afternoon sitting outside for lunch at the River House one day while going in and out of shops down on the river... I think someone mentioned the candy shop down there River Street sweets.

Don't even think about Mrs. Wilkes unless your very hungry... country cook'n at its best though. The lady that waited on us made me clean my plate before she would let me have any dessert. Cherry cobbler.

I think someone mentioned Tybee island for the beach. We went out one day but didn't eat while we were there, but I have to believe there are some good places out there to dine.

BigBluePappy
07-01-2017, 03:55 PM
I think someone mentioned the candy shop down there River Street sweets.

Again that was either you or catonahottinroof, we got a pound of fresh pralines and oh. my. goodness.
They never saw the state line and I am a type II diabetic.

blueboss
07-01-2017, 04:52 PM
I think someone mentioned the candy shop down there River Street sweets.

Again that was either you or catonahottinroof, we got a pound of fresh pralines and oh. my. goodness.
They never saw the state line and I am a type II diabetic.

Mrs. boss corrected me (go figure) on Mrs. Wilkes, I was mistaken ( go figure some more). I was thinking of Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston SC... she also reminded me that we didn't make it to Wilkes, because a local told her it wasn't worth the wait.

BigBluePappy
07-01-2017, 08:21 PM
O.M.G. - you need to find that "local" and smack her right dead in the soup-coolers.
My wife and I loved Mrs. Wilkes and the folks we got to meet when we broke bred with them.

Savannah has quickly become one of Grammy's and my favorites...

catmanjack
07-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Savannah has been great!

Darrell KSR
07-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Glad you're having a good time. When you get a chance, post and let us know what you did, where you ate, what you ordered for dinner, etc. I love reading these things.

BigBluePappy
07-06-2017, 04:52 PM
It will only get better...

Darrell KSR
07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Catmanjack, were you guys out partying with Shia?

@CBSNews: Shia LaBeouf arrested for public drunkenness in Georgia http://cbsn.ws/2sF4qPR https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/884246561584062464/photo/1

Darrell KSR
07-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Mug. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/4d2bb7001786617372ee32e071015241.jpg

catmanjack
07-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Did not see him, unfortunately on the Fourth things did get pretty crazy and there were several killed in a shooting at the market.
Will give a trip review later when time permits.

blueboss
07-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Catmanjack, were you guys out partying with Shia?

@CBSNews: Shia LaBeouf arrested for public drunkenness in Georgia http://cbsn.ws/2sF4qPR https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/884246561584062464/photo/1

Drunken snowflake...