PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham

KentuckyWildcat
06-16-2017, 11:54 PM
Headed home from Destin tomorrow (Saturday). Want to get somewhere between Birmingham and Huntsville to stay the night. We will spend some time in Destin before we head home. What time frame do we need to avoid Birmingham?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Feel free to offer up any kid friendly lunch suggestions with an ocean view in Destin as well.

We are actually staying in Santa Rosa Beach. I'm driving through Destin just to see it while I'm here.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 07:29 AM
I don't think any particular time of the day is good or bad for getting through Birmingham on a Saturday. The key will be if there is an accident.

Safe travels!

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Thanks. Currently at Destin public and about to eat at Pompano Joes on the beach.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 01:25 PM
I-65 south of Birmingham a few miles, Clanton. Traffic backed up.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170617/8270b89fbfc758e3b3f4dd1cbcf8272f.jpg

dan_bgblue
06-17-2017, 01:47 PM
I suspect the driver of the white van front of the backed up vehicles is from Ohio. He decided he owns the left hand lane and is breaking the speed limit at an awful pace of 71 mph.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 02:42 PM
We have left Destin. Probably 3.5 from Birmingham. Depending on the kids....

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 02:50 PM
We have left Destin. Probably 3.5 from Birmingham. Depending on the kids....

My guess is that you'll pass through as smoothly as any time. Should be good.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 02:57 PM
I suspect the driver of the white van front of the backed up vehicles is from Ohio. He decided he owns the left hand lane and is breaking the speed limit at an awful pace of 71 mph.

A few years ago I purchased a radar detector, after some extensive research (naturally). I found a terrific message board forum that was devoted to all things countermeasure with respect to speeding, which helped me determine which made sense for me. In any event, the "LLH" (left lane hog) is a source of constant consternation among the members there.

Everybody likes to think they are the most courteous, considerate drivers, I guess, and I'm no different, I suppose. But I don't care what speed I'm driving (or admitting to driving--nothing in the CitizenBBN range, though)--how hard is it to pull into the right lane, let the ones obviously gaining on you have the "passing lane" to pass you, and then if you need, you can bop back into the "passing" lane again?

Came back last night from out of town, and driving on the interstate a bit, and then on a four lane highway, and ran across quite a few yesterday being LLHs. I passed quite a few after sitting behind them in the left lane, bouncing to the right, passing them, and then back to the left so I could pass courteous drivers driving in the right lane. It's not worth it to me for safety reasons (and because, you know, I am a grown-up), but I read others talk about how they do that, and then swerve back into the left lane just ahead of the LLH. That's poor judgment, IMHO, and I bet it doesn't serve the intended purpose of "teaching them a lesson" anyway. They'll still drive the speed limit, and act like the middle school hall monitor.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Stuck in traffic south of Montgomery... :(

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 04:49 PM
It's beach season...

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Exit 205 an hour ago. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170617/cb90ab88bad8f3a4cc0a85addd2fe34f.jpg

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 05:14 PM
wreck on I 65 southbound at 185 mm

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Four hours ago...

Traffic near exit 238 on I65. Summer is here!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170617/b86c652c77e701750a31790829c07f2a.jpg

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 06:02 PM
At 205 right now. Stopped at Durbin Farms. Going to kill a few minutes here.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 06:24 PM
At 205 right now. Stopped at Durbin Farms. Going to kill a few minutes here.

Peach ice cream, Peach cobbler and peace fried pie. Don't mess with a sandwich.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Salad....I am pretty limited right now....

But it was darn good. Wife is sampling ice cream right now.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Salad is probably good. Sandwiches are good, too, but for dinner time, maybe a little light.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 07:40 PM
It was very good. We will stop again in the future. My diet comes and goes. Maybe next time I can eat more.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Stopped in Decatur for the night. Overall traffic was good for us.

blueboss
06-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Stopped in Decatur for the night. Overall traffic was good for us.

Home of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Home!!!

blueboss
06-18-2017, 07:12 PM
A few years ago I purchased a radar detector, after some extensive research (naturally). I found a terrific message board forum that was devoted to all things countermeasure with respect to speeding, which helped me determine which made sense for me. In any event, the "LLH" (left lane hog) is a source of constant consternation among the members there.

Everybody likes to think they are the most courteous, considerate drivers, I guess, and I'm no different, I suppose. But I don't care what speed I'm driving (or admitting to driving--nothing in the CitizenBBN range, though)--how hard is it to pull into the right lane, let the ones obviously gaining on you have the "passing lane" to pass you, and then if you need, you can bop back into the "passing" lane again?

Came back last night from out of town, and driving on the interstate a bit, and then on a four lane highway, and ran across quite a few yesterday being LLHs. I passed quite a few after sitting behind them in the left lane, bouncing to the right, passing them, and then back to the left so I could pass courteous drivers driving in the right lane. It's not worth it to me for safety reasons (and because, you know, I am a grown-up), but I read others talk about how they do that, and then swerve back into the left lane just ahead of the LLH. That's poor judgment, IMHO, and I bet it doesn't serve the intended purpose of "teaching them a lesson" anyway. They'll still drive the speed limit, and act like the middle school hall monitor.

It's been my experience with LLH's, in most cases I've found the biggest offenders are tags from Illinois, and North Carolina. I get the the North Carolina offenders because as in most things, North Carolina folks are clueless, but Illinois is a head scratcher.

dan_bgblue
06-18-2017, 07:31 PM
My latest observations in this area agree with Illinois drivers but Minnesota drivers are just as bad. However, neither of them are as numerous as Ohio drivers. Once again I want to compliment the drivers who own Wisconsin plates. They are the most courteous about avoiding driving in the left lane with no reason to be doing so.

btw Darrell, when I encounter the LLH drivers and can pass on the right, I do so every time and go by them with a glare and then a shaking of my head. No mouthing of words or giving them the middle finger salute. I am sure they just think I am off in the head.

KentuckyWildcat
06-18-2017, 08:01 PM
I flew the bird on the way home. Even the wife did as well. I set my cruise at 78 normally. So I'm not the idiot doing 90+ but I'm not slowing down traffic either.

This guy cut me off from the left going straight into the right lane. I was in the middle lane.

Now I'm fine with that, it happens. But this guy did it barely going faster than me and suddenly. Very few cars on the road at this time and he was within a few feet of me. Way too close even in heavy traffic. He never looked back.....

Darrell KSR
06-18-2017, 09:00 PM
My latest observations in this area agree with Illinois drivers but Minnesota drivers are just as bad. However, neither of them are as numerous as Ohio drivers. Once again I want to compliment the drivers who own Wisconsin plates. They are the most courteous about avoiding driving in the left lane with no reason to be doing so.

btw Darrell, when I encounter the LLH drivers and can pass on the right, I do so every time and go by them with a glare and then a shaking of my head. No mouthing of words or giving them the middle finger salute. I am sure they just think I am off in the head.
I'm not sure they care. But I think you have the right approach.

The only thing I do is put my left signal light on if I need to get back in that lane. I don't move over until it is safe, but it's my little way of telling them they shouldn't be there.

blueboss
06-19-2017, 12:47 AM
My comfort zone is around 80 mph given good road and weather conditions. I use my signals 99% of the time when lane changing., when approaching LLH I signal move right and then signal and move back left after passing. If the right lane is open I'll then signal and go back to the right lane in hopes of showing them it's ok to use the right lane. " First in Flight" tags have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Sometimes I'll just give'm a tap on the right rear corner of their bumper and put in the cross over barrier.... I wish!!