PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Movies of the 21st Century

KSRBEvans
06-13-2017, 11:44 AM
The NY Times recently released its critics' choices for best pictures of the 21st century (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/09/movies/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century.html?_r=0), and also showed the favorites (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/movies/directors-favorite-movies.html) of directors Antoine Fuqua, Sophia Coppola, Paul Feig and others.

So think back to 2000. What are your favorites--say, a top 5? (Understanding that there's a difference between "best" and "favorite"--or at least there is in my mind.)

Darrell KSR
06-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I went through the top 10...not only had I not seen any of them, I didn't even recognize the names. So that tells you how bad I am with giving an opinion on this lol.

Krank
06-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Wrong century... for me anyway.

KSRBEvans
06-13-2017, 02:27 PM
I like the directors' list a lot more than the critics' list.

A quick favorite 5 for me:

--Anchorman

--The Hangover

--Moneyball

--Django Unchained

--Lost in Translation

PedroDaGr8
06-13-2017, 03:53 PM
I would debate them on their choice of Best Action movie in the 21st Century. I would definitely put John Wick and Old Boy (the Korean version and not that rubbish Hollywood version) as pound for pound just as good as Mad Max (which I think is excellent). The latter, Old Boy, is a movie which honestly is one of the best action-revenge movies I have ever seen. It is violent, twisted, psychotic, cinema-graphically beautiful and an all around excellent film. It is interesting to slowly watch the rise of eastern cinema, in particular Taiwan, Japan and Korea. All three countries have vibrant, though often not easily approachable, cinema industries. While in the West, many of the creative types have transitioned to long form for more creative freedom due to Hollywood's insistence on rehashing "safe" ideas, in these countries cinema still rules the roost and creativity can still be found.

Edit:

A fanmade trailer for the Korean version: https://youtu.be/2HkjrJ6IK5E

CitizenBBN
06-13-2017, 07:11 PM
I went through the top 10...not only had I not seen any of them, I didn't even recognize the names. So that tells you how bad I am with giving an opinion on this lol.

I only recognized 3 movies on the critics list, haven't seen any of them. I'm sure Million Dollar Baby would be good, just haven't seen it..

I've at least seen 3 movies total on the director's list ,and recognized a fair number of them. I think the directors get out more than the critics.

blueboss
06-14-2017, 01:23 AM
I stumbled over a comedy drama from 2000 the other night called Wonder Boys. Not sure about a favorite but it was pretty entertaining from start to finish.

I personally like the Jason Bourne series.

No 21st century top movie list would be complete without the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badrose
06-14-2017, 07:25 AM
The directors' lists definitely had more picks I could agree with though there were few. I agree with blueboss with the inclusion of LOTR trilogy which I think is right up there with all-time classics.

Doc
06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
aka: top 24 movies you have never heard of plus Million Dollar Baby, because I'm so hip list......

Seriously though, 3 of those movies (Million Dollar Baby, 40 Yr Old Virgin and Hurt Locker) were mainstream. Clearly the point was to pick one's that were limited to specific small genre and somewhat obscure. A few were widely released, like "There Will Be Blood" but most didn't see the mainstream for a reason.

UKgrad02
06-22-2017, 11:48 AM
There's a lot I like, but these stand out in my memory:

5. Inglorious Basterds (The Bear Jew!)
4. Wall-E (the first 45 minutes with no dialogue? Brilliant!)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (One of those movies you can watch 3 times in a day and not get bored.)
2. There Will Be Blood (Daniel Day Lewis. Enough said...though the preacher held his own as well)
1. 12 Years a Slave (Bonus for being a true story...and that scene where he is hanging and trying to reach the ground with his feet in silence is chilling.)

bigsky
06-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Nada. I'm not seeing Godfather II. TV's a lot better tho

badrose
06-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Nada. I'm not seeing Godfather II. TV's a lot better tho

So true, particularly on the non-network channels. HBO and Showtime have a lot of quality stuff. I prefer to binge watch.

badrose
07-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I just finished watching Bone Tomahawk and was blown away. I had no idea much about the plot except that it was a western so I won't give anything away here. Just great story-telling, dialogue, acting, cinematography, and superb use of a twist. Highly recommended really doesn't go far enough.

ShoesSwayedBlue
07-07-2017, 10:31 AM
12 Years A Slave is some harsh stuff to watch. A great movie with astonishing acting but not exactly a feel good movie. Same for Manchester By The Sea. Inglorious Basterds has to be mentioned for Christoph Waltz alone. Million Dollar Baby was fantastic.

KentuckyWildcat
07-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Moneyball

Baseball movies along with Marvel/DC stuff is about all I watch. Loved Moneyball.