PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight/Headlamp nerds....here's a good inexpensive (cheap) one

Darrell KSR
06-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Just picked this up this weekend, and have been using it the last couple of days. Been much better than I expected.

Headlamp--claims 1600 lumens, which I doubt, but it is extremely bright. I go to the middle of my street, and several hundred yards down the road there's a stop sign that I use to check the throw, and this is as good as my best Defiant big flashlight.

The standard "circle" is a perfect 360 degree circle, very bright, and lights up my backyard. Then you zoom out (in?) and it microfocuses a diamond-ish figure, extremely bright. Would burn the retinas of your enemy.

The zoom on this thing is terrific. I'm a minimalist--I don't like all the different settings, different colors, etc., and this one is pretty spartan--high (which comes on immediately, which I prefer), low to save battery life, and then strobe. If I had a complaint it would be that you have to go through low and strobe to turn it off each time, and a 2nd complaint, that the strobe seems to be on low (although I NEVER use strobe, I always have this scenario where I use it as a self-defense mode while walking/running at night to disorient my attacker--human or animal. Don't think this would work, but the bright light would blind them).

The straps are excellent, much better than my Defiant headlamp one, and the bulb/lens is terrific. Looks like a mini car headlamp almost.

Takes 3 AA batteries; I'm just throwing the 3 Eneloops in it since it doesn't cost anything really to run those and I get to play with it for free.

Oh--the price?

$11.99.

For two of them. Yes, I have a backup/spare for that price. Great deal. Now, if it breaks on me in the first month or two, I'll regret this high praise--but it appears well made to me and sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/Headlamp-CrazyFire-Hunting-Zoomable-Climbing/dp/B00VFT71KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497324061&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=crazyfire+headlamp&psc=1#Ask

Darrell KSR
06-13-2017, 06:41 AM
Pic. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170613/a6883978218a9b183698aef2245a048c.jpg

dan_bgblue
06-13-2017, 08:43 AM
It appears that the headband is a hard plastic ring. What is the comfort level like when wearing it and does it slip around when the user is perspiring?

Darrell KSR
06-13-2017, 01:28 PM
No, that's just a packing insert. It's a high quality elastic strap.

Here are two pics of mine. The dang lamp itself looks like a camera lens mixed with an electronic microscope or something.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170613/cc68e800f8ee01c99609d76dead69b89.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170613/fe210906410ceaeaf139e344c70eb940.jpg

dan_bgblue
06-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Thank you

Darrell KSR
06-13-2017, 01:47 PM
My pics are better than the marketing pics, aren't they? I'm sure they thought it was snazzy to include the plastic--now that I think of it, I don't even recall the plastic in the box. Maybe that's just so they can show you the elastic as if it was on somebody's head?

(I think it looks better in person, but I don't want to oversell a $6 headlamp. It ain't a $75 headlamp, but I'm impressed with the quality I perceive for the price.)

Darrell KSR
06-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Used it tonight under a semi-broken tent and grill in the rain.

ribbonfish
06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Is it worth buying from overseas? Guess the answer is depending on the int'l delivery cost. So, rather ask, how much would you pay for this product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
06-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Gosh...that's hard to say. Right now, I'm very pleased with the product. Have used it a number of times already, including in the rain yesterday while grilling under a tent. Love the easy spotlight focus/floodlamp--just pull the lens in and out. Very bright, clear white look. Throw is really good on the spotlight setting. The floodlight setting is perfectly circular, and covers an extremely wide area--pretty much my entire backyard at a single setting while standing on my deck.

I love simplicity, and don't like a lot of settings on things. This one is near perfect for me that way--turns on to the extreme bright, which is my general preference for short-term use, one click to the lower battery usage setting--that's what I used for an hour last night, and then another click to strobe (which I could do without, frankly. I just won't be using that unless there's an emergency, so I don't like having to cycle through that setting every time I turn the headlamp off.) It's near perfect, because you do have to cycle through the other 2 settings to turn it off with the single button, but that's a minor inconvenience to me. "Near" perfect.

To me, it's easily a $20-25 headlamp. That's what I would pay for this quality. But it could be that you can get more for $20-25 than I think.