PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a quick trick to Nashville?

BigBluePappy
06-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Places to go, places to eat?

I know it is last minute but it came up, spur-of-the-moment.

Darrell KSR
06-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Who's going? Ages, any kids, adult places to eat or drink? How long is the trip?

I'd go to the Preds game Sunday. If somebody would give me a $1500 ticket...

BigBluePappy
06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Grammy and I are getting away, just the two of us for a weekend.
Grammy is not too much on the bar scene and I have had enough to fill two lifetimes. Now a nice little music club is different...

Doc
06-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Wow, so many places.....

If looking for just eats, Hattie B chicken is great fried chicken, no music...just good ol southern fried chicken. Is picnic table seating etc....

A classic is Merchants which is downtown, on the strip. Again, no music but is a nice dinner spot. More of a traditional spot to go

We liked the Southern, especially if you want good steak. They let you pick your steak but it will cost you a pretty penny.

Now for a nice dinner, head to Husk. They have a nice bar downstairs. Its not a drunken bar but more an adult sit and have a drink where the bartenders actually mix you a drink the "proper" manner. Dinner is a fine meal, as nice as you will get anywhere. This isn't a cheap place. Need reservations and expect an hour or two for dinner.

One I've not been to but that has gotten good reviews is the Listening Room Cafe. They do have music.

Of course there is always Fleet Street Pub in Printers Alley. Darrel can give you a recommendation as well..

BigBluePappy
06-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Awesome, Doc. It's been years since I was at Printer's and I would love to visit, just not if Grammy is up to it. Love the suggestions; you guys always come through when it comes to travel and grub tips.

MickintheHam
06-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Well, Nashville will be packed with Pred fans and CMA fest fans. I appreciate your comments on the bar scene. But, if you would like to listen to some music on Saturday afternoon, I highly recommend going to the Famous Saloon. It is a door or two off Broadway right next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. My friend Wes Cook will play there with an acoustic trio. Famous Saloon is a very comfortable and relaxing atmosphere in the afternoons. Take a seat on one of the comfortable benches along the long wall. There will be some back and forth with the band. Wes is a Tennessee fan, but bearable. Tell him you are a friend of Mick in Birmingham. He tends to remember UK fans.

The Southern Steak and Seafood at 3rd AV and Demonbraun is always excellent. Breakfast (brunch) on Sundays starts at 10 am, but if you want a really good breakfast at an earlier time, there is a diner on the opposite corner right across Demonbraun. It was a really good breakfast and not really crowded.

Also, if you want a great burger, the best in town is at The Row. It is on one of the short side streets, Lyle Av, between West End blvd and Broadway, just north of the Vandy Campus. It will be crowded, but worth it. Get a place in the bar or the patio and you should be seated right away. There will be a series of music artists playing in the bar and patio. It should be enjoyable way to listen to live music. I recommend taking Uber or a cab as that part of Nashville is really crowed. You may have a three or four block walk if you drive. I go there four or five times a year and never been disappointed.

Doc
06-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Awesome, Doc. It's been years since I was at Printer's and I would love to visit, just not if Grammy is up to it. Love the suggestions; you guys always come through when it comes to travel and grub tips.

I was joking about fleet street. Darrel and I met there a couple years ago. It's a smoky dive, and kind of a punk rock mixed with biker bar vibe. I was cool with it, actually liked it but not something I'd recommend unless I was sure the recommendee was in the mood for something different, liked cheap beer and an "interesting" atmosphere

Darrell KSR
06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
lol....hey, I'm a New Orleans, off the beaten path kinda guy, both restaurants and bars, so Doc's Dive was right up my alley.

Pappy, I really don't have a lot to add, but I'll add one place to the ones suggested already. This is a cut-and-paste from a visit I had a few months ago there:

Saturday afternoon we had a late lunch at Kay Bob's Grill & Ale near Vanderbilt hospital. We sat outside, which was an excellent choice on a great afternoon, very pleasant. The place had a wide variety of flatbread tap sandwiches and such, and I opened for a very reasonably priced Jasper's Junk Sandwich--grilled kielbasa with sauerkraut and a sweet and spicy mustard sauce. They practically were giving it away, and that's the kind of food I really enjoy because a) it doesn't get served at home, and b) we rarely go someplace that serves that kind of meal. Others got burger-type Bobs, grilled steak platters, chicken salad platters, and vegetarian daughter got a veggie platter that looked excellent--mushrooms, red peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, with rice, cucumber sauce, black bean hummus, etc. Lot of really good offerings there.

We were "entertained," if you will, with the lifesaver helicopter flying overhead landing on Vandy hospital. I hope that's not bad to say, and I said a small prayer that they were helping save someone with that.

The place also specializes in local craft beer (25 on tap), and lo and behold, but Saturday they offer 2-for-1 specials all day long. Score! My son and I enjoyed a couple of local sour beers which I found very interesting and enjoyable. I'm not a beer connoisseur, and told my son that I wanted something different, but nothing too bitter, and he suggested going the other direction with a sour. I had the Honky Tonk Cherry Berliner Weisse, 6.0% ABV, from the Honky Tonk Brewing Co. in Nashville, and a Jackalope Lovebird Fruit Beer from the Jackalope Brewing Company, also in Nashville. I took a look at the Little Harpeth Double Paddle Dopplebock--gotta like a beer with a 10.0% ABV, don't you, from the Little Harpeth Brewing Co. in Nashville, but opted elsewhere. I'm not a big IPA or stout guy either, so this was fun for a change getting me away from my normal beer-that-tastes-like-water .

Darrell KSR
06-10-2017, 11:01 AM
One other thing--if you take Doc's suggestion on Hattie B's (my son's favorite place here), this is a nice little introduction to what you need to know if you visit there. They opened a 2nd restaurant in Birmingham a year ago and my son frequented it at least once a week for months.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/06/hattie_bs_hot_chicken_comes_to.html

BigBluePappy
06-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Great suggestions all and most appreciated. Down at the CMA festival and having a blast...

Darrell KSR
06-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Have a great time, Pappy. Say hey to my daughter, who (I think) is there.

CitizenBBN
06-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Pappy's been very nice in this thread, given that all of you guys missed on helping him with the "trick" part of his request.

PM me Pappy, I know someone in that area. Been a few years, but I think I can still hook ya up. :)

CitizenBBN
06-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Have a great time, Pappy. Say hey to my daughter, who (I think) is there.

I knew this would happen. You've had so many kids you're losing track. I suggest some kind of database app.

Doc
06-11-2017, 12:19 PM
As you see, both Mick and myself recommend The Southern. It close downtown but off the strip. Most of the strip places are going to be dives. Not that those are OK places, just that they are crowded and you, or at least I, will feel rushed.

BigBluePappy
06-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Wanted to check in. Let's just say Grammy and I have had a BLAST people watching. I had forgot how much fun Nashville can be. It has been 30 years...

BigBluePappy
06-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Honeysuckle in Franklin, Tennessee is where we chose to have our quiet dinner.
We actually stayed in Brentwood, traveled up to Nashville, and ate in Franklin. I understand it was in the opposite direction but Grammy was the navigator and her sister was the co navigator so we could have wound up eating in Franklin, KY instead of Franklin, TN.
Not busting the old piggy bank expensive but not the Outback or Chophouse so it was a nice relaxing meal.
I got the Cowboy ribeye and I swear you could cut that rascal with the side of your fork and Grammy had the Meatloaf.
Started it all off with you guessed it with their spin on Fried Green Tomatoes, not bad. Finished it off with their version of Banana pudding.
Then back to the hotel for coffee, catching up quietly before I slid off into a diabetic coma...

Unfortunately Mr. Cartwright I did not run into your daughter but we still had a BLAST and I got to see my brother-in-law and sister-in-law; always a good thing and a good time.

I'll post about the music scene a little later.

Darrell KSR
06-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Pappy, I spoke to my daughter yesterday, and she worked during CMA, and was on her way to Memphis yesterday as well, so you didn't miss her, she missed you (and CMA). Glad you had a good time. Nashville (including Brentwood and Franklin) does things right.

BigBluePappy
06-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Must be a glutton for punishment, heading to Knoxville now.
Will update you on the town that is arnge...

dan_bgblue
06-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Don't stop in K'ville, just ease on over the border into NC. If you stay a week, I will find you there

Darrell KSR
06-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Wear protective clothing and gear, please.

BigBluePappy
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Well, the joke is on me. They are having a festival and the people watching is outstanding to say the least. That having been said, ate at Trio's and had desert at the Phoenix Pharmacy and Fountain.

BigBluePappy
06-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Don't stop in K'ville, just ease on over the border into NC. If you stay a week, I will find you there

I wanted to visit the Biltmore Estate but we have already been there in summer...

dan_bgblue
06-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Ashville is about 40 miles too far east. If you ever want to take a few days off and leave all your cares behind, let me know. There is a secret spot that is so relaxing I don't share the location with everyone. Don't want it to get too crowded.:winking0011:

It is a favorite of biker clubs, your know the ones with the lawyers and execs riding the fully equipped Harley Superflows with fairings, stereos and full saddle bags with their wives on the queen seat. So it is necessary to check the town's website to avoid the big biker weekend rallies.

Darrell KSR
06-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Ashville is about 40 miles too far east. If you ever want to take a few days off and leave all your cares behind, let me know. There is a secret spot that is so relaxing I don't share the location with everyone. Don't want it to get too crowded.:winking0011:

It is a favorite of biker clubs, your know the ones with the lawyers and execs riding the fully equipped Harley Superflows with fairings, stereos and full saddle bags with their wives on the queen seat. So it is necessary to check the town's website to avoid the big biker weekend rallies.
Ooh, I may have to hit you up on this sometime.

BigBluePappy
06-18-2017, 09:02 PM

You have my full and undivided attention, sir...