PDA

View Full Version : Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Darrell KSR
06-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Daughter is really pushing for the Volkswagen, with her backup choice the Jeep (a newer version of what she's been driving the last couple of years, which she enjoys).

Somebody give me reasons why I should listen on the Volkswagen. I'm not a big fan. We've had such good luck with the Jeep Grand Cherokee--well over 200,000 miles now, and the car is 20 years old--that I'm not adverse to getting another one, although for reliability, we wanted a Honda or Toyota to get her from Point A to Point B.

Any thoughts from the group?

KentuckyWildcat
06-01-2017, 02:51 PM
We considered 3 of those 4 and went with the Ford Edge and really love it.

At 20...I'd probably go with the CR-V or Rav4. I can't promote the Beetle....

PedroDaGr8
06-01-2017, 03:22 PM
VW have had huge reliability issues (especially the Beetles). They are somewhat better now than they used to be but I still don't trust them

Ford Edge was surprisingly quick with the 1.8T engine. Really solid car from my very limited experience.

CR-V - still driving a 2004, other than being very noisy it has been a great car. Not without its own issues but a great car.

Toyota Rav-4 - its a Toyota, reliable, boring, easy to drive

Darrell KSR
06-01-2017, 03:41 PM
I should have added that this car will probably be 8-10 years old; not a new car at all. She's lucky to get anything.

The Ford Edge--would you guys recommend that in the 10-year old ballpark for reliability, too?

dan_bgblue
06-01-2017, 03:51 PM
No to the VW anything.

I am a Ford supporter but have no experience with the edge. Have they even been available for 10 years?

Actually they debuted in 2007 so a 10 year old should be available

PedroDaGr8
06-01-2017, 04:05 PM
I should have added that this car will probably be 8-10 years old; not a new car at all. She's lucky to get anything.

The Ford Edge--would you guys recommend that in the 10-year old ballpark for reliability, too?

Then DEFINITELY not a VW, they are not at ALL reliable in that era.

See below about the Ford.

As for the Honda, it would put you in the 2006-2009 range for the CR-V. Personally, I would skip the 2006 CR-V and stick with 2007 and newer. There was a total redesign at that time and they are much better cars overall. The interior is DRAMATICALLY quieter (G2 and G2.5, which are 2002-2006, are like rolling tin cans).

No to the VW anything.

I am a Ford supporter but have no experience with the edge. Have they even been available for 10 years?

Actually they debuted in 2007 so a 10 year old should be available

I wouldn't go for the first model year for any car, but anything 2009 and newer should be fine.

Darrell KSR
06-01-2017, 04:49 PM
So 2009+ Ford Edge
2007 Honda CR-V or later
Ixnay on the Volkswagen, which makes me happy

Any Jeep Grand Cherokee fans? The one experience I've had with ours has made me a fan, but I know it's just one, and maybe we've been lucky...

I'm also assuming the Toyota RAV-4 would be fine, based on Toyota history, if I run across a good deal on one of those.

dan_bgblue
06-01-2017, 05:25 PM
I have 0 experience with Chrysler products. Back when Jeep was an AMC/Kaiser product they were quality vehicles, but do not know about them made by Chrysler

blueboss
06-01-2017, 05:36 PM
You've already heard the VW woes. I speak from experience on VW's, however ours was a Psaat not a beetle.

I loved that car it was one of the best cars I ever had between 16k and 100k miles. I bought it around two years old with 16k miles, the bumper to bumper warranty covered everything to 75k which including the timing belt package which I had done at 70k... they recommend 80-90k.

Anyway at 100k this and that started going wrong. VW's are expensive to work on parts are high labor is average.

If you ever buy a VW buy it with low low mileage and flip it before the warranty runs out.... or buying an extended warranty would probably be cheaper than maintaining it.

For instance water pump $800, front end suspension gears $275 each and there are four of them. Coolant seal $475, coolant tank $200. Synthetic oil change $90. I could go on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithKSR
06-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Run away from the VW Beetle, parts are outrageous and time consuming to install.

Any of the other three should be suitable. The Jeep will run 300,000K with proper maintenance.

CitizenBBN
06-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Haven't had the others, though my office manager had one of the VWs she had to return b/c they fibbed to the US government about them.

But I do have a CRV with about 235K miles on it and it's doing fine. Suspension gets a little touchy, and we could fix it proper for some more money, but it's not unsafe so I'm fine with it. it's had a lot of pretty hard driving.

KentuckyWildcat
06-02-2017, 10:21 AM
I have a Honda Fit with 260,000 miles on it and still doing well, so I am Honda fan so far. Obviously not the CR-V but it the fit has been solid.

The Edge (2016 model), probably the nicest all around car we have had. It is also fits our needs perfectly. I've not had it long enough to know to talk about the dependability, but so far we love it.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2017, 10:59 AM
I hate that I'm apparently the only person on the planet having trouble with his Honda, but having the catalytic converter go bad and needing a replacement motor for the 2009 Odyssey we bought new and maintained at the dealer confirming to their schedule makes me a bit sour.

KSRBEvans
06-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Daughter is really pushing for the Volkswagen, with her backup choice the Jeep (a newer version of what she's been driving the last couple of years, which she enjoys).

Somebody give me reasons why I should listen on the Volkswagen. I'm not a big fan. We've had such good luck with the Jeep Grand Cherokee--well over 200,000 miles now, and the car is 20 years old--that I'm not adverse to getting another one, although for reliability, we wanted a Honda or Toyota to get her from Point A to Point B.

Any thoughts from the group?

I've not owned any of the vehicles you're considering. VWs are generally reputed to have chronic repair issues. That was my experience when I owned a VW Golf, but it was a long time ago (87-93).

I'd say RAV-4 just because we've had great luck with Toyotas generally. Mrs. BEvans I have owned 4 Toyotas and purchased 2 for our kids, and they've all been rock solid. I'm currently driving an 05 Camry with 254K on it, and no signs of stopping.

Add me to the apparently small group of Honda owners with problems. I bought a used Accord that was a money pit. We bought a used Odyssey that we had to have the transmission replaced after buying it. Turned out it was a known issue with Odysseys from the time period (it was an 02) that I could have caught if I'd done some online research. Initially Honda would replace the transmission gratis even if it was out of warranty--by the time we had our problem with it, their standard deal was they'd pay 50%.

Doc
06-02-2017, 02:27 PM
The jeep but not a Grand Cherokee Go with a wrangled. Dependable, cheap, easy to work on. Shawn loves hers

We have a CRV, Honda reliability, good car but no spunk. We picked it over the RAV4

suncat05
06-02-2017, 02:56 PM
My own recommendation would be either the Honda or the Toyota. Those new CR-V's are super nice. Can't go wrong with either.
Anything American I would be leery of, and I'm not sold on the new Beetles either. JMHO.

Catonahottinroof
06-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Walk away from the VWs. I know from experience lol

Darrell KSR
06-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Lol. Man, there has been a complete consensus on the VWs.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
The jeep but not a Grand Cherokee Go with a wrangled. Dependable, cheap, easy to work on. Shawn loves hers

We have a CRV, Honda reliability, good car but no spunk. We picked it over the RAV4
I'll take a look at the Wranglers. Been happy with the Jeep. In fact, it's my favorite car to drive, I think it drives so well.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2017, 09:31 PM
My own recommendation would be either the Honda or the Toyota. Those new CR-V's are super nice. Can't go wrong with either.
Anything American I would be leery of, and I'm not sold on the new Beetles either. JMHO.
Forget new. This is for my 18-year old daughter who is driving a 20-year old Jeep now. If she gets a 2007 anything, she's lucky.

KeithKSR
06-03-2017, 10:41 AM
I'll take a look at the Wranglers. Been happy with the Jeep. In fact, it's my favorite car to drive, I think it drives so well.

As far as driveability it will be hard to beat the Grand Cherokee among those you listed. If insurance costs could be a factor I'd check on that as well. Insurance rates tend to be much higher on small, sporty SUVs. With the number of cars your family has you may qualify for fleet coverage.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2017, 02:59 PM
I really like the way the Grand Cherokee drives myself. And for a V6, it has some get up and go too.

CitizenBBN
06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
My office manager really liked her VWs. Had one that got wrecked, then got the turbo newer one, but had to turn it back in due to the EPA thing. She never had any big issues, but those were both newer than we're talking about and neither got very high in miles.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I think it might be different if I were looking to buy that new or even a year old or so. But even though it would be a little newer, the VW would still have more miles on it than I'd be comfortable with, given the various experiences everyone has shared.

KeithKSR
06-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I think it might be different if I were looking to buy that new or even a year old or so. But even though it would be a little newer, the VW would still have more miles on it than I'd be comfortable with, given the various experiences everyone has shared.

The Jettas and other VWs have a much better record than the bug. Everyone I know of that has had one complained about the frequency and costs of repairs.

Doc
06-03-2017, 04:49 PM
As far as driveability it will be hard to beat the Grand Cherokee among those you listed. If insurance costs could be a factor I'd check on that as well. Insurance rates tend to be much higher on small, sporty SUVs. With the number of cars your family has you may qualify for fleet coverage.

When we went to the wrangled we saved just over $400 a year on our insurance a d that included a hike due to a wreck. Of course the previous vehicle was a Nissan Z370

KeithKSR
06-03-2017, 09:24 PM
When we went to the wrangled we saved just over $400 a year on our insurance a d that included a hike due to a wreck. Of course the previous vehicle was a Nissan Z370

I'm not sure how the Wrangler does on insurance compared to the Grand Cherokee. It is probably negligible for us old folks, but for Darrell's 18 year old it may be more of a difference.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2017, 09:29 PM
I took a look at the Wrangler with my wife earlier this evening in person, and she didn't want my daughter to drive it. I thought it looked fun. I always get out voted.

She tells me we each have a vote, but she has the tiebreaker.

KeithKSR
06-03-2017, 09:42 PM
I took a look at the Wrangler with my wife earlier this evening in person, and she didn't want my daughter to drive it. I thought it looked fun. I always get out voted.

They are fun, especially in the summer.

kingcat
06-03-2017, 09:59 PM
A subcompact but more room than a beetle. Check out the 17 Chevrolet Sonic with the 1.4-liter turbo.

Well worth a drive Ive heard. A cool interior

Doc
06-04-2017, 08:37 AM

My wife love it because of the room for the dogs (we have the four door). I love it because it's not complicated so little to break down, they run forever, take regular gas and are indestructible (If you knew my wife's driving habits you would understand)

kingcat
06-04-2017, 12:21 PM
A subcompact but more room than a beetle. Check out the 17 Chevrolet Sonic with the 1.4-liter turbo.

Well worth a drive Ive heard. A cool interior

The Sonic is very highly rated by the way. I never was a GM fan but they are making some of the best vehicles in the world now.

From Edmunds..

Optional turbocharged engine is powerful and gets respectable fuel economy

cabin is relatively spacious for this class

generous number of standard and available features

excellent crash test safety scores
(forward-collision alert and lane-departure warning)

ride quality is better than most competitors

fun to drive

base engine has low power but the smaller 1.4 turbo is quick..

interior is nice but mostly plastic as is common in this class.

------------------------------------------
We work on new Wranglers three or four times a month upgrading the interior package to leather. Nice vehicles. But kind of pricey.

Cheaper to have the leather upgrade done yourself instead of paying the dealership. Save a couple of grand that way. Katskin@ covers are the licensed upgrade

bigsky
06-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Rav then crv

Darrell KSR
06-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Rav then crv

Given the age/dollars I'm willing to spend, that sure looks like the best formula.

I think if I were looking for a pretty new car, I could go with one of the others, but in the 8 to 10 year old range, for reliability, those don't look like they can be matched.

KeithKSR
06-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Given the age/dollars I'm willing to spend, that sure looks like the best formula.

I think if I were looking for a pretty new car, I could go with one of the others, but in the 8 to 10 year old range, for reliability, those don't look like they can be matched.

With the Toyotas in the ten year range look for the V6 instead of the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinders had some issues around '07 that caused oil consumption. My daughter had an '07 Camry with 160K without issues, but when we sold it some potential buyers who had researched issues with the 4 cylinder mentioned it to us when they asked about which engine it had.

Darrell KSR
06-07-2017, 02:04 PM
With the Toyotas in the ten year range look for the V6 instead of the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinders had some issues around '07 that caused oil consumption. My daughter had an '07 Camry with 160K without issues, but when we sold it some potential buyers who had researched issues with the 4 cylinder mentioned it to us when they asked about which engine it had.

Much appreciated!

Darrell KSR
06-18-2017, 11:44 PM
Hmm. Friend just texted that her uncle passed away. He was in his mid-80's. Owned a 2008 Ford Escape SUV with "very low" miles.

I haven't had a lot of luck in finding what I want for what I want to pay. I found a 2006 Toyota RAV-4 today with 130,000 miles on it for $6k; the price was good, but that's more miles than I wanted. Still, with general Toyota reliability, I wanted to consider it...(however, it was the 4 cylinder.)

KeithKSR
06-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Hmm. Friend just texted that her uncle passed away. He was in his mid-80's. Owned a 2008 Ford Escape SUV with "very low" miles.

I haven't had a lot of luck in finding what I want for what I want to pay. I found a 2006 Toyota RAV-4 today with 130,000 miles on it for $6k; the price was good, but that's more miles than I wanted. Still, with general Toyota reliability, I wanted to consider it...(however, it was the 4 cylinder.)

I've got several friends that have owned Escapes and have liked them a lot.

Darrell KSR
06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Appreciate the info on the friends liking their Escapes. I'm intrigued. Reviews for the used ones aren't bad. Not at Toyota-Honda level, but close. I'm at least going to listen. I like the looks of it--more Jeep-truck like. Surprisingly, my daughter likes that look as well (less like a mini-van).

KeithKSR
06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Appreciate the info on the friends liking their Escapes. I'm intrigued. Reviews for the used ones aren't bad. Not at Toyota-Honda level, but close. I'm at least going to listen. I like the looks of it--more Jeep-truck like. Surprisingly, my daughter likes that look as well (less like a mini-van).

My niece has the Mercury Mariner, which is a Mercury badged Escape. I don't think it has been in the repair shop a single time. I think it is about an '08 or '09 model and she has driven it since it was new.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 08:29 AM
More good anecdotes. Read many like that on some reviews as well.

The Escape I referenced may not be soon enough for me, though. At this time, I don't know what price they want, the exact mileage (other than "very low," which I believe--the man was 89 when he died, and I can't imagine him driving it a ton), when it would be available, etc. Going to take a look at the Rav-4 this morning.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Getting a pre-purchase inspection done on the Toyota now. A little concerned. Drove like a dream, engine sounded great, etc., but when a hard braking occurred, it seemed to shimmy some. They're checking it all out now.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 12:42 PM
They told me they would say a prayer for me as I drove it back to the car dealer.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 12:55 PM
They began an estimate on everything, and then just gave up. I think I counted about 25 hours of labor alone on the work the car needed. Had to do with struts, frame work, steering column something or another, etc. Sounded like it had been involved in a big wreck that was not reported to insurance companies, and consequently, was not on the CarFax report I saw. Said it would be several thousand dollars of repairs.

I'm still in the market.

Interestingly, they told me not to worry so much about the "newer" Jeeps. Said that the engine did change, but they were still good engines.

dan_bgblue
06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
When you get done laughing, try to take my comment seriously. I am a dyed in the wool truck or truck style SUV guy. Have driven one consistently since 1982. I love the way they sit for the driver. I sit up with my legs bent downward not sticking out in front of me in a car that I have to sit down in and climb out of.

Having said that, If I had to buy a car today, it would be a 2014 and up Chevy Impala. Look into them a bit and see what you think. However your daughter may hate it or love it, but you might not. Tons of leg room front and back, huge trunk compartment, and they really drive good. They have both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines to choose from. Average mpg city and town is probably close to 27. I have driven one 4 or 5 times as rental vehicles and have put a good number of miles on the ones I rented. If you can get away from the SUV idea, I highly recommend one of them

One with 40,000 miles or so will come in at the high end of your price range for a 2014

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 08:10 PM
I like them. Have rented them myself, driven on the road many miles in them.

No way in heck my 18-year old daughter would drive it. The mechanic today suggested a Lexus RX 350. I told my wife, thinking she would laugh at the absurdity, but little did I know, she had already asked her about it.

She said it looked like an old person's car and she wouldn't get close to it.

I kinda think the Impala falls in the same category for her.

dan_bgblue
06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Children. ;-)

dan_bgblue
06-20-2017, 08:34 PM
US News top rated compact SUVs (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs)

Darrell KSR
06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Hidden in emails? Damn Hillary.

CitizenBBN
06-21-2017, 12:26 AM

No way in heck my 18-year old daughter would drive it. The mechanic today suggested a Lexus RX 350. I told my wife, thinking she would laugh at the absurdity, but little did I know, she had already asked her about it.

I think a discussion of old American adages like the one about gift horses and mouths might be part of the next conversation. :)

My first car was an old Lincoln that had the style of a bee hive hairdo. Tell her it's a long embraced American tradition for cars at that age to be completely style inappropriate, and she needs to help make America America again and do her part. :)

dan_bgblue
06-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Here, here!!

KeithKSR
06-21-2017, 10:54 AM

My girls always used the term "granny car" when I made suggestions they thought weren't cool enough for their age group.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2017, 11:24 AM
My first car was a 1971 Chevy Nova. No air conditioning. Had to kick it out of gear at stop signs and red lights, assuming I stopped, or else the engine would kill. Thought nothing of it. That was just normal for a 16-year old, I thought. Hey, it ran. It got me where I needed to go (and sometimes, where I wanted to go--not always the same thing, of course).

Keith, I laughed out loud when I read "granny car." I am not going to show her this thread. She will adopt that terminology.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2017, 11:25 AM
US News top rated compact SUVs (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/20/state-department-probes-clinton-handling-government-emails-could-pull-her-security-clearance.html)

Dan, want to click your link?

Darrell KSR
06-21-2017, 11:50 AM
I've now got a guy that is a licensed auto dealer that has a full-time job at the University who is looking for cars for me at an auto auction. The clients for the auction are either banks or rental companies. Not sure how I feel about that, but I have bought two cars from Hertz before, both fantastic, perfect cars, so I don't have the qualms about them that some do. Banks must be repossessions, which gives me a little more angst. But if the price is right, you can fix about anything, right.....?

dan_bgblue
06-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Dan, want to click your link?

Well that is embarrasing. I fixed the link. Thanks for the heads up

Darrell KSR
06-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Thanks for buying my daughter a 2017 SUV. I assume that's what you're doing with the linked article comparing them, right? You know I ain't buying that, so that must be the case!

KeithKSR
06-22-2017, 08:12 AM
I've now got a guy that is a licensed auto dealer that has a full-time job at the University who is looking for cars for me at an auto auction. The clients for the auction are either banks or rental companies. Not sure how I feel about that, but I have bought two cars from Hertz before, both fantastic, perfect cars, so I don't have the qualms about them that some do. Banks must be repossessions, which gives me a little more angst. But if the price is right, you can fix about anything, right.....?

Most used dealers buy at auctions, or buy trade-ins from dealers. I used to attend car auctions frequently. My late brother-in-law had a lot and did some driving for him. You see a lot of nice cars, some so-so cars, some that go to the buy here-pay here lots, and some destined to go straight to the salvage yards.

dan_bgblue
06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks for buying my daughter a 2017 SUV. I assume that's what you're doing with the linked article comparing them, right? You know I ain't buying that, so that must be the case!

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2014-affordable-compact-suvs

KeithKSR
06-23-2017, 06:01 PM
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2014-affordable-compact-suvs

I'm guessing this is closer to what Darrell has in mind: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2009-affordable-compact-suvs

It is a list of the '09 model year compact SUVs. The 2008 and older list was unavailable.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm guessing this is closer to what Darrell has in mind: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2009-affordable-compact-suvs

It is a list of the '09 model year compact SUVs. The 2008 and older list was unavailable.
Perfect!

Darrell KSR
06-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Next question - what about a 10-year old BMW x3? Notwithstanding their original sale price, I'm seeing those for the same price.

PedroDaGr8
06-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Next question - what about a 10-year old BMW x3? Notwithstanding their original sale price, I'm seeing those for the same price.
No no no no no! BMWs are horrible for maintenance costs, something they often need a lot of (as both my brother and parents found out).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

KeithKSR
06-28-2017, 07:22 PM
No no no no no! BMWs are horrible for maintenance costs, something they often need a lot of (as both my brother and parents found out).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I've been told the parts are incredibly high and sometimes require BMW only tools.

Darrell KSR
06-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Keith and Pedro it's funny--I read your posts, and first thought, "not a big deal." The guy that kept my 1992 Volvo alive for many years works on two cars--Volvos and BMWs. He and his brother own that specialty garage, and I trust him implicitly.

And I had been told similar things about Volvo before I bought my first one. Over the years, it was my cheapest vehicle to repair ever. Not only were "regular" repairs reasonably priced, no more than, or less than, my American-made cars, but also this guy knew me, and would often tell me little hints. "I can put on a used radiator off an old Volvo for $200 less than the new ones. The original ones are metal; the new ones are plastic."

Then I realized. My daughter will be away at school with the car 75% of the time. So as much as I like "my guy," it means that my daughter won't be able to go to that little college town of 30,000 people and just drop it off at a general mechanic who may not have the specialty tools, and whose repair costs may not be what i am used to.

I think that may sway me to look away. I may need to do some research into Lagrange, Ga. auto shops, though. Hopefully she'll never have an issue there, but my middle daughter had issues with her car in Tuscaloosa, my son had an issue once with his car in Auburn...life happens.

I may drop by my old Volvo mechanic today and ask his opinion, too. Frankly, I'm not finding a lot of cars I like in my price range--right now, I'm only considering Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, and Ford Escapes. I'm comfortable with all three at the moment; wanted to see if I could add a 4th possibility.

KeithKSR
06-29-2017, 03:36 PM
A local used car dealer I know sells a boatload of the Chevy Equinoxes. They are either front-wheel or AWD and get very good mileage for an SUV.

Darrell KSR
06-29-2017, 05:11 PM
I've heard of those. I'll do some background research on those and see if their reliability looks good.

Darrell KSR
08-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Guys--if I have this car checked out, would you think I'm foolish to consider it?

2009 Toyota Rav 4, but with 160,000 miles? That's a lot of miles, isn't it?

I don't know why--I'm looking at cars with up to 130,000 miles on it for my daughter, and not blinking. But that just sorta worries me. Should it?

dan_bgblue
08-11-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm looking at cars with up to 130,000 miles on it for my daughter, and not blinking. But that just sorta worries me. Should it?

I do not believe it should if the vehicle has been regularly well maintained. I have a 2006 Explorer in my driveway with over 230,000 miles on it, and if necessary, I would hop in it and head for Alaska today with no worries at all. In your situation, I would ask the dealer if I could have it for a couple of days and tell them that I was going to put several miles on it to test it out, either that or ask them for a 30 day/5,000 mile money back guarantee if I found issues with it in that time period. They could either fix any problems I found or they could take the vehicle back and refund my purchase price including taxes. jmho

Darrell KSR
08-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Just spoke to an Estate guy about a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 43,000 miles. But can't sell it for a couple of weeks because they don't have title yet. Really liked the looks of it, and those miles...wow.

Darrell KSR
08-11-2017, 04:40 PM
I do not believe it should if the vehicle has been regularly well maintained. I have a 2006 Explorer in my driveway with over 230,000 miles on it, and if necessary, I would hop in it and head for Alaska today with no worries at all. In your situation, I would ask the dealer if I could have it for a couple of days and tell them that I was going to put several miles on it to test it out, either that or ask them for a 30 day/5,000 mile money back guarantee if I found issues with it in that time period. They could either fix any problems I found or they could take the vehicle back and refund my purchase price including taxes. jmho

Those are good suggestions, thanks. This is a used car dealership that sort of specializes in the sale of cars that are under $10,000. There's nothing "inherently" wrong with that, but I have found those dealerships to be purchasing cars of lesser quality somewhere, and generally not getting as good a car. I could be wrong here, and I know there are exceptions. Also, I'm not sure how willing they'd be to do the kind of things you suggest, but you know what--you never know til you ask, anyway.

KSRBEvans
08-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Just spoke to an Estate guy about a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 43,000 miles. But can't sell it for a couple of weeks because they don't have title yet. Really liked the looks of it, and those miles...wow.

Similar to what we did for our daughter's first car. This was fall 2007, and we found a 2000 Camry with 38,000 miles on it. The age concerned us but the miles were awesome. Apparently it was driven by the prototypical Little Old Lady and when she passed her family sold it. Took it to a mechanic--checked out great. Was a great car for the daughter--she got 7 years and another 150K out of it before it was totaled in an accident.

Regarding the miles--depending on the type of vehicle and how well it's been maintained, I don't see a problem. But Mrs. BEvans is the other way around--if it's a vehicle for the kids, she's super picky about mileage. Guess who usually wins that discussion. :D

Darrell KSR
08-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Similar to what we did for our daughter's first car. This was fall 2007, and we found a 2000 Camry with 38,000 miles on it. The age concerned us but the miles were awesome. Apparently it was driven by the prototypical Little Old Lady and when she passed her family sold it. Took it to a mechanic--checked out great. Was a great car for the daughter--she got 7 years and another 150K out of it before it was totaled in an accident.

Regarding the miles--depending on the type of vehicle and how well it's been maintained, I don't see a problem. But Mrs. BEvans is the other way around--if it's a vehicle for the kids, she's super picky about mileage. Guess who usually wins that discussion. :D
Lol. I know who wins. Same as in my house. No need to elaborate.

dan_bgblue
08-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Just thought I would do a quick search and see if I could give you a point of reference for price and quality vs the Estate vehicle

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee_z10787#vdp=1J4GX48S14C259960

Darrell KSR
08-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Just thought I would do a quick search and see if I could give you a point of reference for price and quality vs the Estate vehicle

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee_z10787#vdp=1J4GX48S14C259960
Appreciate it. The estate sale is definitely under market, and it looks great, but if I go that route I will not have the option to have it checked out by a mechanic. Those are just the rules of the estate company. Part of the reason for the good deal. Honestly, the price is good enough that the risk is pretty minimized, unless it is a total Money Pit.

dan_bgblue
08-12-2017, 01:10 AM
Will they let you examine the vehicle prior to purchase?

If they will, just a few suggestions of things to do and look for. Check the air filter to see if it is mostly clean. Check for uneven tire wear. Look at the water in the radiator supply tank and see if the water/antifreeze mixture looks mostly clean or is is kinda oily looking, or maybe a little rusty looking. Check the brake master cylinder fluid and see if it looks old or discolored, and do the same thing with the power steering reservoir. All you are trying to determine by checking these things is, has the vehicle been professionally maintained. Normal service on these things should be at 3,000 miles and if they were pretty anal about the timing, then it should have been serviced within the last 1,000 miles or so. Also check the top left corner of the windshield to see if their is one of those dealer stickers that tells the owner the mileage for the last service and the suggested mileage for the next scheduled service.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Will they let you examine the vehicle prior to purchase?

If they will, just a few suggestions of things to do and look for. Check the air filter to see if it is mostly clean. Check for uneven tire wear. Look at the water in the radiator supply tank and see if the water/antifreeze mixture looks mostly clean or is is kinda oily looking, or maybe a little rusty looking. Check the brake master cylinder fluid and see if it looks old or discolored, and do the same thing with the power steering reservoir. All you are trying to determine by checking these things is, has the vehicle been professionally maintained. Normal service on these things should be at 3,000 miles and if they were pretty anal about the timing, then it should have been serviced within the last 1,000 miles or so. Also check the top left corner of the windshield to see if their is one of those dealer stickers that tells the owner the mileage for the last service and the suggested mileage for the next scheduled service.

Good suggestions.

I can even start the car up, and run it through the gears. Just can't move it. Check the A/C, heat. Windows. That's about it.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Estate vehicles tend to be good buys. That's mostly what I sell, and I think my buyers get great deals. I try to get more for them, but I think even at book they are good bargains b/c they are usually good cars, just not needed any more by the family.

i have a Corolla coming up in a couple of weeks, same thing. Beauty, really nice, only 55K miles on it. it's an estate, needs to be sold. No one who was using this car would ever let it go b/c it's too nice and too new.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2017, 04:05 AM
If I could get my daughter uninterested in SUVs, I'd wait a couple of weeks and go try to buy that Corolla from you. That's a good car for a college kid.

Heck, it's a good car for anybody.

KeithKSR
08-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Anymore 7 years old and 38K miles is a nearly new car. They last much longer than they did when we were youngsters.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Wish me luck. I'm in the middle of a test drive (sitting at home now), Honda CRV 10-years old, 103k miles. Headed back to my mechanic for him to look it over.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2017, 04:28 PM
If I could get my daughter uninterested in SUVs, I'd wait a couple of weeks and go try to buy that Corolla from you. That's a good car for a college kid.

Heck, it's a good car for anybody.

Its going to be a great pick for someone. Classic little old lady car who only drove it to church on Sunday.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2017, 07:04 PM
10 year old Honda CRV it is. Done and done. Thanks for everyone's help.

dan_bgblue
08-13-2017, 12:46 AM
Congrsts!!!!

CitizenBBN
08-13-2017, 01:01 AM
The reason I haven't bought any of these other cars is I got my mom's CR-V, 235K miles on it, runs fine. They're dang good vehicles in my experience.

Maybe I'll be a poor man's version of these billionaires with their huge car collections. All of mine will be worth $2,000.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2017, 02:58 AM
All of mine will be worth $2,000.

I'll be right there with you. When the kids finally leave home and I can start circulating some of these cars out of my name into their name, I may have to come visit you so I can replenish my stock.

KeithKSR
08-13-2017, 08:23 AM
I'll be right there with you. When the kids finally leave home and I can start circulating some of these cars out of my name into their name, I may have to come visit you so I can replenish my stock.

You should qualify for fleet insurance.

Catfan73
08-13-2017, 11:00 AM
10 year old Honda CRV it is. Done and done. Thanks for everyone's help.

My wife drives a 2007 CRV. It's got less than 90,000 miles on it but looks like it's got 300 lol. I don't think I could kill that car if I tried.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2017, 12:57 PM
My wife drives a 2007 CRV. It's got less than 90,000 miles on it but looks like it's got 300 lol. I don't think I could kill that car if I tried.
My mechanic was checking it out yesterday and he told me they had a 2004 CRV they used as their shop car. He said they used it to throw tires in and deliver and constantly had it in city driving traffic.

They sold it for $3,000. With over 300,000 miles on it of very tough driving.

He is a fan.

Put in a new battery today to stave off problems, as the one in it was 4½ years old and didn't want to send my daughter off with that.

Have to put in new wiper blades, one tail light bulb, and fix the fuel tank cover that has lost the spring.

Should be good to go with that.

Darrell KSR
06-28-2022, 07:51 AM
Update.

Drove my daughter's 2007 Honda CRV from upstate NY through NYC into Brooklyn and back to upstate NY Sunday, then 120 miles into Pennsylvania. Yesterday drove it 887 miles home.

30mpg for the trip was nice. Very quiet ride, which surprised me. I expected more road noise. She has a nice set of Michelin tires that I think help there, but I remember Pedro saying they were quiet. Still, I wasn't expecting that.

Car now at 140,000 miles, 37k since buying it when this thread was created.

As a side note...I still have the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I drive it about twice a month. Wife says with two extra cars I have to get rid of one of them now, so I may be getting close to saying goodbye to a car we've had for many years. We were the 2nd owners of the Jeep. Too my middle daughter to high school and college, youngest daughter to high school, and youngest son to high school and first year of college out of state. Been my car for the last 3 years, loaned to my son's girlfriend when her car was in the shop, my middle daughter used it in the spring for a month as her car was getting a new transmission. I hate losing the spare!

KSRBEvans
06-28-2022, 08:18 AM
^Good job with the Grand Cherokee! Next month I make the final payment on my 2015 Subaru. I hate car payments like poison, so I'll drive this one into the ground, which I hope is many years from now.

VirginiaCat
06-28-2022, 08:46 AM
LOL! Did not see orginal date on this thread and was going to suggest a Accura RDX from around 2008!