PDA

View Full Version : Much love and respect for my in-laws

Darrell KSR
05-27-2017, 12:33 PM
My mother-in-law and father-in-law are both 86 years old, living in New Orleans. As some know, my daughter graduated high school Thursday night, and they made the drive to be here for it. They have five children and 17 grandchildren, with 4 remaining to graduate high school and have never missed one of those long, boring ceremonies just to be with their family.

They have another graduating next month in Virginia, but thankfully flying to see him. Next year they'll have one 45 minutes away, then the year after my youngest son - maybe they'll have the nonstop flights back from New Orleans to Birmingham as they used to do (four daily flights, less than an hour and inexpensive Southwest Airlines... Miss those). Then the final grandchild the year after that, in New Orleans. Here's hoping they see all of those boring ceremonies in good health.

MickintheHam
05-27-2017, 06:15 PM
There is always Amtrak from NOLA to the Ham. Not a bad ride.

Darrell KSR
05-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Mick, I think I'm going to have some of the family make that trip just to show them it's a good trip. My wife asked her mom in March (they came up for my daughter's final senior play, too) if they thought about taking Amtrak, and she said my FIL didn't want to. I'm thinking maybe if we show them it's a good trip that they'd like to do it. He doesn't need to be driving much more, even though he is in good health (better than her health). It's a long drive from New Orleans. Heck, I'd rather take Amtrak than drive it. I'm glad you mentioned it.