PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Belly jelly beans sued - who knew they had sugar?

Darrell KSR
05-25-2017, 09:49 AM
I thought they were like Jack's Magic Beans and were a natural legume...

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/05/25/jelly-belly-sued-by-woman-claiming-didnt-know-jelly-beans-contain-sugar.html

CitizenBBN
05-25-2017, 11:34 AM
I don't know what's more entertaining, that Jelly Belly is trying to market a "sports bean" as some kind of healthy thing or Gatorade type thing, or that people are fooled by it to think they aren't just balls of condensed sugar.

Darrell KSR
05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
I immediately looked at the venue, and saw California, and thought, "of course. Those are Coastie's peeps."

PedroDaGr8
05-25-2017, 05:57 PM
I don't know what's more entertaining, that Jelly Belly is trying to market a "sports bean" as some kind of healthy thing or Gatorade type thing, or that people are fooled by it to think they aren't just balls of condensed sugar.

I immediately looked at the venue, and saw California, and thought, "of course. Those are Coastie's peeps."

Pretty much even Cali law isn't that crazy, I expect this will get tossed pretty quickly. While hiding table sugar under the name evaporated cane juice is a tad shady, it is a far distance from malevolent. Plus as mentioned, it is isn't like they somehow omitted or misconstrued the nutrition label in the process.

CitizenBBN
05-25-2017, 07:24 PM
I think "shady" is probably the way to put it. Right up there with "high fructose corn syrup", but it does tell you the sugars right there on the breakdown label, so it's easy enough to know what it has in it.

Sounds like they may have a case though based on FDA regs. And in truth I'm sure it fools some people b/c there are a lot of very fool-able people out there.

suncat05
05-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Oh for cryin' out loud........what kind of a person can you be if you don't like jelly beans? Geez! That's almost as bad as saying you don't like apple pie. Who doesn't like apple pie?