PDA

View Full Version : Right decision or not, moon dust?

Doc
05-23-2017, 06:42 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-nasa-moon-dust-bag-met-20170228-story.html

I'm sort of torn on this one because the artifact was initially stolen and sold. Granted, it was recovered and that could make that moot but could one sell something of such importance? I mean there is some validity the the national treasure argument. Could one sell off the Declaration of Independence for example? It was our tax dollars that generated and allowed the collection of the dust.

But then the flip side is does it still have any value scientifically? Is all its value just as a curiosity, or just the sake of saying one possesses "moon dust"? If so, does that value make it a true National Treasure? Probably no. (Yes, I'm arguing both sides).

And of course let's not forget the incompetence that set it in motion, or better yet, plural set of events. You have a government thief who stole it and sold it first then an inattentive one who dumped it after it was recovered.

blueboss
05-23-2017, 07:19 AM
I'd say reimburse the lady for all of money she spent on legal fees and of course the purchase price.

Give her a small portion of the dust in a NASA space collection bag, then send the rest back to NASA space museum or The Smithsonian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
05-23-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm a little surprised at the ruling. I'm no lawyer, but I look good in a suit, and while it was a binding sale the fact that it was an error means the US Marshall Service never had authority to sell that item. The buyer did nothing wrong but without the real power to sell I'm not sure the contract was valid. I'll have to think about it some, b/c this wasn't a case of fraud or intentional misrepresentation.

This is one where they could have split the baby, and if I'm the person who bought it I agree to take a share b/c I'm betting even a sample of that dust is worth almost as much as all of it. it would be the only one commercially available and legal to sell.

I'm also surprised it didn't bring a lot more at that site, shows that people just didn't pay attention or didn't think it was real. This is why you go to a professional auctioneer or other dealer and not one of these companies that just mass lists stuff. They have no idea what they have most of the time.

dan_bgblue
05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
My comments are not about the law. Our good friend and I have had a few discussions over the years about the difference between the law and what is right. The law does not care about what is right, it is just the law and the law can be argued in court, but what is right can not be.

Does she, because of inept government personnel, under the law have the right to own government property? I agree with boss. Give her, as they have given away other moon objects at their own discretion, a keepsake sample, and then have her return the bag and remaining contents to NASA. Compensate her for her expenses, the item was not stolen, so there is no legal right of forfeiture for buying stolen property, and wish her a good day.

jmho

CitizenBBN
05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
One interesting aspect of this:

It was originally seized from a buyer when it was found to have been sold as stolen property. It's unclear if the buyer was compensated but "seized" generally implies the guy was SOL.

So when it was sold as a fraud you have to give it back and probably lose your money, but when it was sold as an error but probably without true legal authority to sell it you get to keep it. I find that interesting.