PDA

View Full Version : Alabama fan gets 2 years in prison for "teabagging" incident

Darrell KSR
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
He pleaded guilty to two counts of obscenity, and prosecutors dropped the sexual battery charge.

Two years in prison. Right thing? Wrong thing? Too harsh? Just right?

Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2012/11/29/ala-man-gets-2-years-in-jail-for-viral-bcs-video/1735203/

CitizenBBN
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I have no tolerance for bullies and hold everyone to their behavior, but a minimum of 9 months in jail is IMO inappropriate. A civil lawsuit for defamation type damages seems totally appropriate, but I don't see it as so much a criminal matter as a civil one.

It is a crime I guess, but when we're turning loose people convicted of felonies like drug dealing with regularity b/c of overcrowding, putting a guy in jail for at least 9 months for what was a one time stupid thing is backward thinking. It's not much of a crime. I've had stuff stolen and the police wont' even come do a report in person, and this guy got how many thousands spent to prosecute him?

Without the internet this goes all but unpunished but now when the whole planet can see anything done in a bar within minutes of it happening, the tolerance for such things is gone. Growing up I had pranks played on me while drunk, and played them on others. permanent markers are a favorite.

Sorry I don't see it. You passed out on Bourbon street. OK it shouldn't have happened, but jail time? Heck, whoever shot and uploaded the video was an accessory right? Was he prosecuted? Sue him fine, you're going to be the butt of jokes for a long time to come, but nearly a year in jail? When you get probation for felony drug possession?

It just doesn't balance with the penalties received for other crimes. He'd have gotten less time if they'd been in a brawl. Even less if he'd stolen the guy's wallet. So public embarrassment is getting a tougher penalty than breaking his nose or stealing his property would probably get, certainly no less. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Some criminal penalty is in order, but the damage to his character isn't criminal, it's civil. You may owe the guy $1 million in damages, you don't owe the People 9 months of being brutalized in prison.

Doc
11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
He pleaded guilty to two counts of obscenity, and prosecutors dropped the sexual battery charge.

Two years in prison. Right thing? Wrong thing? Too harsh? Just right?

Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2012/11/29/ala-man-gets-2-years-in-jail-for-viral-bcs-video/1735203/

Two counts? One for each nut?