PDA

View Full Version : High Nine

Darrell KSR
05-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Does anybody play this card game? I remember when visiting my grandmother mom and dad would play it with them. I loved the game, would watch it, and learned to play eventually.

I haven't heard about it for years and heard someone mention it today, but didn't get a chance to talk to them.

CitizenBBN
05-13-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm from Kentucky. We all played rook. :)

badrose
05-14-2017, 07:18 AM

Yes! I remember Mom & Dad playing it with relatives and played it a lot myself when I got a little older.

blueboss
05-14-2017, 09:22 PM
That was me and eight of my friends in the mid 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
05-14-2017, 09:47 PM

All we ever played was Screw your Buddy.

KSRBEvans
05-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Growing up here in Kentucky my parents and their friends played Canasta and Shanghai Rummy. In college the game was Spades. Some of the guys from northern Kentucky played Euchre, which immediately placed them under suspicion. ;)

I'm glad I went to college before the poker craze. I probably would've ended up in a gutter someplace.

CitizenBBN
05-15-2017, 02:43 PM

That's more about your "college experimentation" days than I really wanted to know. :)

CitizenBBN
05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
In college etc. we played poker and such, but at home with the family growing up it was Rook.

Interestingly (or not), a Polish friend of mine taught me a game with a regular deck that was exceedingly like Rook. one of the main twists was if you had the King/Queen of a suit you could play them and change the trump suit in the middle of the hand, even though it was played with a bid for the widow like Rook. You could really set someone back in that game.

Doc
05-15-2017, 03:52 PM

That's what they play in TN, but they don't use card... and its not your buddy, its your brother or a farm animal