PDA

View Full Version : Local soccer club website - can somebody check this out?

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm receiving an error message (or it is downloading a file) when I try to visit a local soccer club website, www.birminghamunited.com.

Is this my computer, or their server that is causing the issue?

I can get to their internal pages, just not their home page.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Here's the message I'm receiving on Firefox. 6303

Chrome just downloads some file.

CitizenBBN
05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm getting that too on firefox. that filetype "octet" tells me the page may have the wrong or bad header info. Every file in the html/internet world should have a filetype id in the header, to show it's HTML, or javascript, etc.

application/octet-stream typically means the file is an executable, a program, which makes me think the site may have been hacked and malware put in the place, but it could also just be a corruption of the site and the server is serving it as such a file wrongly. But that's supposed to be a program file.

If you do get a file from it don't run it.

PedroDaGr8
05-08-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm getting that too on firefox. that filetype "octet" tells me the page may have the wrong or bad header info. Every file in the html/internet world should have a filetype id in the header, to show it's HTML, or javascript, etc.

application/octet-stream typically means the file is an executable, a program, which makes me think the site may have been hacked and malware put in the place, but it could also just be a corruption of the site and the server is serving it as such a file wrongly. But that's supposed to be a program file.

If you do get a file from it don't run it.

It isn't an executable just a datastream and VirusTotal gave it a 100% clean rating (0/55 hits). Checking the file in Notepad, I noticed that it is a gzip encoded file. Extracting with 7zip gives the actual webpage HTML data. So it looks like something is messed up with the server config. It is transmitting the compressed page, but for some reason it isn't sending the info to tell the browser to decompress the page and render it.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks, guys. That helps.

CitizenBBN
05-08-2017, 10:58 PM
It isn't an executable just a datastream and VirusTotal gave it a 100% clean rating (0/55 hits). Checking the file in Notepad, I noticed that it is a gzip encoded file. Extracting with 7zip gives the actual webpage HTML data. So it looks like something is messed up with the server config. It is transmitting the compressed page, but for some reason it isn't sending the info to tell the browser to decompress the page and render it.

that would do it.

I had the same thing happen on a site I set up and despite all the headers and everything being correct the damned server would NOT serve the pages as anything other than a binary stream. Don't even remember how I fixed it, just remember beating my head on things for hours. Sometimes i really don't like computers.