PDA

View Full Version : Hey B-hamians? Need A Traffic Report..

blueboss
05-08-2017, 07:14 AM
I'll be plowing through via I65 tomorrow around 2:00ish pm est. IIR I thought I heard some chatter about major road construction.

What's it look'n like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 08:04 AM
I'll be plowing through via I65 tomorrow around 2:00ish pm est. IIR I thought I heard some chatter about major road construction.

What's it look'n like?

Should be fine. Was downtown Saturday night and didn't see any issues. Will be downtown from 11am to about noon (I hope) today and will update. There's the usual clutter north of the city, and malfunction junction is always crappy, but I think it isn't any worse than usual.

Daughter came in from Kentucky last night about 11pm and didn't mention any issues, but she wasn't in a talkative mood. Will check with her later today if I catch her before she goes to work.

blueboss
05-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks!! I think there was a thread a while back about I65 travel in and around B-ham.

I've planned our departure to miss both Nashville's and B-ham's rush hours.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 08:46 AM
2 pm should be great in the Birmingham area.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Realize that all it takes is one fender bender to create an issue, but I just checked the traffic conditions and I-65 looks nice and clear on the service I use.

2:00 on Tuesday is good. 2:00 on Friday is iffy. 2:00 and rain any day is bad. 2:00 and a fender bender and it's nauseating.

dan_bgblue
05-08-2017, 02:02 PM
I remember Mick posting something a few months ago about construction and severe travel delays, but I think that might have been where 1-20 and I-59 merge. Can not remember for sure

dan_bgblue
05-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Oh yes, my daughter went thru B'ham about a month ago on I-65 headed to Gulf Shores and she would have passed thru there about 12:00 pm and there were no horror stories about the traffic

Darrell KSR
05-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Good. I rarely travel north of Birmingham unless I am on a trip, but my daughter has made the a 65 trek a half-dozen half dozen times in the last two months without incident. I guess I did it about 2 weeks ago myself. And maybe two weeks before that as well.

MickintheHam
05-08-2017, 11:30 PM
I drive the route you will be taking most days. After the I-22/I65 Interchange, traffic slows for about 6 or 7 miles until you get up Shades Mountain (the Alford AV exit). If you get through before 2:30pm CDT you will only experience significant slow downs due to the Interchange construction. 2:30 to about6:00 pm there will be backups and stop and go traffic.if you get there at the time you say, you will have little trouble. After that it is a crap shoot.

blueboss
05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Right on schedule...however I forgot the time change so that puts me in B-ham early.

I'm about 50 miles north so I'll be rolling through shortly. I'll be sure to honk and wave. As always when I travel I'll have a couple of Wildcat hats in the back window..

blueboss
05-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Uh-oh Dreamland BBQ, Montgomery, AL

MickintheHam
05-09-2017, 04:30 PM
I'd skip Dreamland. TrFfic was pretty good today. No delays. I forgot UAB is between semesters. Has a big impact on tfaffic

blueboss
05-09-2017, 04:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/4dc658bb5a941e71369963a783139d6f.jpg

Ribs were very good... I'd give them an 8.

Traffic was pretty lite the whole way down 65 including BHam. We're hole'n up around Greenville AL. we'll stroll on in tomorrow.

Darrell KSR
05-09-2017, 05:47 PM
That looks good. I'm always higher on Dreamland then Mick is, so I think you did fine.

dan_bgblue
05-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Hopefully I will have time, tomorrow night, to tell the NC coleslaw experience at a bbq joint I had several years ago . Ya'll might get a kick out of the tale.

Doc
05-10-2017, 12:59 PM
I read the title and thought you were driving to the Bahama's

Darrell KSR
05-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Birmingham and the Bahamas are pretty much the same thing.

Except for water, and resorts, and beaches, and stuff like that. But otherwise, the same.

Doc
05-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Birmingham and the Bahamas are pretty much the same thing.

Except for water, and resorts, and beaches, and stuff like that. But otherwise, the same.

meaning if its not bolted down, they will steal it?

dan_bgblue
05-10-2017, 06:18 PM
I was in Winston Salem NC several years ago and my boss offered to take me to lunch at his favorite bbq place. This place did not have waitstaff so we ordered at the counter/check out desk. I ordered a sandwich and asked for fries and a side of coleslaw. Counter person looked at me like I was from Mars and stammered, you do not want the slaw on the sandwich? I said that is right I want a side of slaw. Boss paid for the order and we went to sit down and wait. When our number was called I hopped up and went to get the food. My order had the sandwich and fires, but to my astonishment, the slaw was placed in a little paper cup like one would put catsup in at McDonalds to dip fries in. Contained less than a good tablespoon of slaw which is how much slaw they put on a sandwich. My boss got a real kick out of it

blueboss
05-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Had it been the Bahamas it would have read "trafficking report"

blueboss
05-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Helllloooo B-ham!!! Just arrived and made a driver switch.... wish me luck Mrs. boss is taking over at the wheel.

With any luck, in about an hour we'll be at Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur.

The last of my Alabama BBQ check list... report to follow.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm jealous, blueboss. I wasn't far from it Friday and Saturday last week, and didn't think to go by, which was goofy.

I'd get the chicken with white sauce, but they've won honors for their red sauce and ribs, so I'd just say you can't go wrong. Enjoy, and be sure and give us that promised report.

blueboss
05-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Shoot!! I didn't see Darrell's chicken recommendation before going to Big Bob's. I had the ribs... they were fall off the bone tender, but I honestly think Dreamlands were better. I mixed the white and red sauce which I thought was better than both by themselves. Mrs. boss had the pulled pork which was really good. Their coleslaw was different but good.. it was almost pureed, tater salad was outstanding..... oh yeah coconut cream pie with four inches of meringue on top...id go back, next time I think I'll go the poultry route and get the turkey.

(See weight loss thread)

Darrell KSR
05-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I know the ribs get some pretty good publicity, but I honestly believe the chicken and white sauce there cannot be beaten. I'm pretty sure that Mick has the same opinion.

MickintheHam
05-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I know the ribs get some pretty good publicity, but I honestly believe the chicken and white sauce there cannot be beaten. I'm pretty sure that Mick has the same opinion.

I love the chicken and white BBQ sauce, no doubt. And I am Going to make some for Memorial Day. But I use Chris Lily's rib recipe when I make ribs. Chris is the pitmaster at BBG's. The secret is using apple cider vinegar and apple jelly. Dreamland ribs don't hold a candle to BBGs. It isn't even close.