PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky: The Mosquito State

CitizenBBN
05-03-2017, 11:25 PM
A lab in Kentucky, working with UK, has created male mosquitoes that are sterile having been fed a naturally occurring bacteria. Since males don't bite they are released and then when they mate with a female those eggs never hatch.

Interesting to me they're being tested at Stock Island, which is the key just above Key West. A mosquito control agent there was quoted as saying no one would live there if not for the mosquito controls, and she's right. Key West is actually urban enough it would likely survive, but large stretches of the keys in the old days were so sparsely inhabited in part b/c of things like the mosquitoes. In fact there's a great story about a guy trying to launch one of the earliest resorts there and failing b/c he couldn't get rid of them. He had imported bats, which did a great job but they wouldn't stay in that location so it failed.

Anyway, back to this story:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/05/03/zika-fight-bacteria-laden-mosquitoes-unleashed-in-florida-to-combat-virus.html

blueboss
05-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Wasn't FL's love bug engineered to combat mosquitoes as well? We all know how that turned out.

This new fix sounds promising. Think of how many lives have been lost to mosquitos through the centuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
05-04-2017, 04:53 PM
There are thousands of species of mosquito. I wonder if they cross breed, or are they species specific?

CitizenBBN
05-04-2017, 08:01 PM
There are thousands of species of mosquito. I wonder if they cross breed, or are they species specific?

Excellent question. The story implies they specifically chose this species of mosquito for the test in that specific place, but the news can be utterly inaccurate at that level of detail. I wonder if they used more than one species, or if there is one dominant one in the Keys.

Also, if they breed across species, do they get shunned in their community for breaking a taboo? ;)

blueboss
05-04-2017, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=CitizenBBN;419263]Excellent question. The story implies they specifically chose this species of mosquito for the test in that specific place, but the news can be utterly inaccurate at that level of detail. I wonder if they used more than one species, or if there is one dominant one

Also, if they breed across species, do they get shunned in their community for breaking a taboo? ;)[

Never mind...

CitizenBBN
05-04-2017, 09:50 PM
lol, sorry, couldn't help myself.

blueboss
05-05-2017, 02:53 PM
lol, sorry, couldn't help myself.

LOL!!

I fear my response would fall dramatically out the politically correct realm, and could quite possibly border on insensitive.

I do wonder if they would qualify for government.... see? Never mind.