PDA

View Full Version : Ditching cable. Some questions...

badrose
04-28-2017, 09:48 AM
I've had Dish for about a decade and quite satisfied with it. The other day I was in Best Buy and talking to the TV dept mgr and he showed me a gizmo that, with some tweaking could everything out there, live and streaming for free. The 'tweaking' part sounded like pirating but that it was quite common. Anyone here that can shed some light on this? I'm loyal to a fault, but I could save a chunk of $$$ if it's a safe venture.

Doc
04-28-2017, 10:18 AM
LOL..... I recently got a RVeal box and had a thread on it. I like it in some aspects, not so much in others.

The minuses are you will occasionally get "buffering" even on the best connections. They claim you need a download speed of 10Mbps. I'm typically between 20 and 40 yet still get buffering when watching LIVE events (I use mine for sports). I often have to search for the best, ie the one that does not buffer as there are several options to choose from. I don't watch much live TV (other than sports) of the box though. I'll also watch movies, but there is no buffering issues there. The plus is I get EVERY sporting event. Every baseball, football, hockey, basketball, etc..game out there. I don't have to spend the $300 for the NFL package every year. The box paid for itself almost immediately. If I dump DTV (see below), it will be about a $120/month savings on top of that.

Once I'm out of my DTV contract my plan is to dump them. Keep in mind there is no DVR or recording option with what you are getting so if you miss a basketball game you are SOL unless its stored somewhere on the net like ESPN3. All TV shows are watchable on streaming at a later date so no issue missing them, its just things like sporting events. We are fortunate enough that we also have comcast and will be getting there DVR capable boxes.

As for the pirating, that was a concern. Depends on the service. Mine claims they have contacts with the providers and then you log on their site, sort of like a NAPSTER of the old days. One person gets it then shares it. They claim its legal as the provider is aware.