PDA

View Full Version : Austin/San Antonio: what's good?

KSRBEvans
04-28-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm going to Texas for training May 9-11 and going a couple of days early (6-8 May) to check out Austin and San Antonio. I've never been to Texas so I'm looking for tips and how much time to spend at each. I know I want to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio and also get some authentic Texas barbecue, but other than that I don't know what else I should see. Any ideas appreciated.

Doc
04-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Austin---> the music.

Darrell KSR
04-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Riverwalk, Alamo and food (I would add Tex-Mex) are the only things I know.

KSRBEvans
04-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Austin---> the music.

Any places in particular?

dan_bgblue
04-28-2017, 01:46 PM
San Antonio is the bomb. It will take a day just to explore the Riverwalk area and 2-4 hours to take in the Alamo museum across the street plus visiting the site. I have never been to Austin, and truly have never even thought of it as a travel destination in Texas.

CitizenBBN
04-28-2017, 08:06 PM
I was going to say the same as dan. The Riverwalk will take days, that's about all you can get to in just a day. it's got all kinds of stuff going on. Been a long time since I've been.

I do recall some all night Mexican restaurant not far from there (but don't walk there, stay inside the riverwalk, there are still rough areas outside it), and what was unusual was first it was very authentic, but mostly they had the biggest bakery/desert thing you've ever seen. All kinds of pastry and such, just not something you think of as Mexican food.

Also had goat on the menu. I didn't try it, but the food was good. Apparently a big late night spot, a number of cops there having a meal about 2am when I was there. Can't remember the name.

I also went to Howl at the Moon there. National chain of dueling pianos, big with the bachelorette party crowd but they make for great people watching. not really a local thing I could recommend, but it was entertaining. They only really work in cities with enough convention business.

Catonahottinroof
04-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Try Juan in a Million in Austin. Breakfast burritos rock there, and it's way cheap.

jazyd
04-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Austin, very liberal, expensive. I have some reps I work with in Texas, tell me what you are interested in and I will find out. One has two boys at UT