PDA

View Full Version : Not A Bad Day; Dana O'Neil Fired At ESPN...Sorry If That Makes Me Small Minded

Darryl
04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Lots of "on the air" personalities getting axed today....please let one be Goodman (wonder if he will blame Cal)

Darryl

KSRBEvans
04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
To say I'm not a fan of Dana O'Neil is a huge understatment. But absent criminal activity, I hate to see anyone lose their jobs. O'Neil's not the only one; Ed Werder and some other good people with tough family situations (https://twitter.com/Baetsmen/status/857232857370120192) are also being let go.

The bottom is falling out of ESPN's business model and this is the natural progression of it. Layoffs have been going on at ESPN for awhile now and will continue as their owner, the Disney Company, forces them to adjust to reality.

And yet, somehow Stephen A. Smith get to keep yapping. They still don't get it.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Getting ready to go into a difficult meeting, and this makes me smile. Call me small-minded, too.

She may have lost her job, but she made plenty of money doing something with ill will toward something I hold dear, so I don't feel sorry for her at all. Other people work harder than she does, make less money than she does, and are more honest at their jobs than she was at hers, IMO.

Carolinawildcats
04-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Ed Werner was also let go. I like Ed a lot.

I hate layoffs :(

Peace

Richard (CW)

Philly Cat
04-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Could they please lay-off that Max guy in the morning. The whole switch-over to a "Good Morning America" format, instead of just Dan Patrick & Keith Olbermann showing highlights and making jokes, feels very desperate (and not nearly as entertaining).

KSRBEvans
04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
OK, I might modify my "hate to see anyone lose their job" stance if Goodman is also laid off.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Here's an article. Best I can tell, at least these people were laid off today. Tough; I certainly made light of it for Dana O'Neil, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but I do recognize they are human beings, too.

Ed Werder
Dana O'Neil
Scott Burnside
Joe McDonald
Pierre LeBrun
Brendan Fitzgerald
Mike Goodman
Austin Ward
Jesse Temple
Brett McMurphy
Jim Bowden
Eamonn Brennan
Mark Saxon
James Miller
Paul Kuharsky
Adam Rubin (last month)

The article below has those names, and says it will update throughout the day...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/ESPN-layoffs-job-cuts-Ed-werder-NFL-bristol.html

JPScott
04-26-2017, 11:27 AM
I never really felt like Dana O'Neil was the leader of the 'get-UK' crowd. She seemed to more take the lead from guys like Jeff Goodman and Pete Thamel etc. and maybe pile on at times but don't remember and don't consider her as a major instigator. A couple of her (most non-UK) articles I thought were quite good, so she does have talent.

Darryl
04-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Here's an article. Best I can tell, at least these people were laid off today. Tough; I certainly made light of it for Dana O'Neil, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but I do recognize they are human beings, too.

Ed Werder
Dana O'Neil
Scott Burnside
Joe McDonald
Pierre LeBrun
Brendan Fitzgerald
Mike Goodman
Austin Ward
Jesse Temple
Brett McMurphy
Jim Bowden
Eamonn Brennan
Mark Saxon
James Miller
Paul Kuharsky
Adam Rubin (last month)

The article below has those names, and says it will update throughout the day...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/ESPN-layoffs-job-cuts-Ed-werder-NFL-bristol.html

That Mike Goodman...any chance that was a typo and they meant Jeff?

Darryl

backagain
04-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Although I hate it for those folks who have lost their jobs, I do not shed one tear for ESPN. Michael Sam, Caitlyn Jenner and Colin Kapernick have turned me against ESPN. Its a sports network and in no way are people like Mike Golic, Jemelle Hill or Stephen A Smith qualified to lecture anyone one on politics or social issues. I hope they continue to nose dive until the liberals in upper management are fired.

Later..

Krank
04-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Although I hate it for those folks who have lost their jobs, I do not shed one tear for ESPN. Michael Sam, Caitlyn Jenner and Colin Kapernick have turned me against ESPN. Its a sports network and in no way are people like Mike Golic, Jemelle Hill or Stephen A Smith qualified to lecture anyone one on politics or social issues. I hope they continue to nose dive until the liberals in upper management are fired.

Later..

Nor are you qualified to lecture anyone here on YOUR politics. This thread didn't have that until YOU posted YOUR conservative slant, which is against forum rules, and which I know you don't care about.

backagain
04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
It has my slant now and I sure wont be deleting it.

Later...

Krank
04-26-2017, 12:37 PM
It has my slant now and I sure wont be deleting it.

Later...

We all now benefit from your expression of moral superiority... on a freaking sports thread.

Yay America.

backagain
04-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Has nothing to do with moral superiority...It has everything to do with my right to express my view on what is wrong with ESPN. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But in typical fashion, if some one like you does not agree, they want to shut down the other person. Won't work with me.

Later....

Krank
04-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Has nothing to do with moral superiority...It has everything to do with my right to express my view on what is wrong with ESPN. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But in typical fashion, if some one like you does not agree, they want to shut down the other person. Won't work with me.

Later....

So bringing up politics on a sports forum is actually really improvisationally easy so why not do it and screw everyone who doesn't care for your narrow view, a view that could have been easily expressed on the politics only forum (which I am sure you know exists)? I am sure you will deny purposefully stirring the pot on this thread even though the OP is about firing of staff, specifically Dana O'Neill.

Bottom line, these days, if there can be formulated a random excuse to bring up politics on a sports forum, "someone like you" will bring it up, even if it has nothing to do with the OP and nobody else has brought up THEIR politics, something which I have still yet to do on this thread.

It's just you.

blueboss
04-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Uh-oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
Nor are you qualified to lecture anyone here on YOUR politics. This thread didn't have that until YOU posted YOUR conservative slant, which is against forum rules, and which I know you don't care about.

I believe politics are what helped to drive ESPN to a radical state of cost cutting. Just as people on this forum don't wish to wade through politics to discuss UK sports, most viewers tuning in to watch alaBama or tOSU don't want to listen to lectures on social issues based on the views of the radicals in ESPN management. ESPN demonstrated they were willing to promote their agenda over quality product when they replace their Sunday night baseball analyst with one who could only read her prepared notes and attempt to work them in to the broadcast.

I don't care what the analyst's or the Network's political views are as long as they hush and talk about the game.

KSRBEvans
Many believe (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/447060/espn-layoffs-stick-sports) there is a political component to this, either directly or indirectly. Others (https://twitter.com/tsnmike/status/857283995087892481) disagree. How the thread goes may determine whether we keep it here or move it to the Barber Shop. But whether it stays here or gets moved, let's keep it civil and respect each other's viewpoints without getting personal, please.

goodycat
04-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Regardless of your political viewpoint, I think it is objectively true that there is a direct correlation between ESPN's falling ratings and the company's decision to become more political in its content. There are many "stick to sports" people in this world of all political persuasions that simply don't want to turn on ESPN and be bombarded with the political content you see on the regular news.

UKFlounder
😀

Uh-oh

backagain
Just me and you...Don't forget, you are the other one in the conversation.

Later...

Krank
04-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Y'all don't have to move threads like this.

"Someone like me" just posts less often...

on all threads.

Not that I am suggesting anyone give a spit about what "someone like me" does.

That's my last thought on this subject and my last post on this thread.

Enjoy it's evolution without me.

Peace.

dtalbersjr
04-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Danny Kannell and CL Brown have been added to the list of those gone.

Bakert
04-26-2017, 01:05 PM
hush

I agree. :)

GhettoBird
04-26-2017, 01:11 PM
I believe politics are what helped to drive ESPN to a radical state of cost cutting. Just as people on this forum don't wish to wade through politics to discuss UK sports, most viewers tuning in to watch alaBama or tOSU don't want to listen to lectures on social issues based on the views of the radicals in ESPN management. ESPN demonstrated they were willing to promote their agenda over quality product when they replace their Sunday night baseball analyst with one who could only read her prepared notes and attempt to work them in to the broadcast.

I don't care what the analyst's or the Network's political views are as long as they hush and talk about the game.

Agree, ESPN destroyed themselves.

MickintheHam
04-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Agree, ESPN destroyed themselves.

Bottom line, that can't be good news for the SEC. I wonder if the AD's have a clue that they could be forced to take a haircut.

backagain
04-26-2017, 01:37 PM
I find it interesting that some are upset that I brought up political views on a sports board, when my original post is concerning that fact that a sports network is too political. If you agree with ESPN's point of view, then you think their troubles have nothing to do with politics. However, if you disagree with their point of view, then you think it has everything to do with the troubles.

I guess my point is, people are fine mixing politics and sports as long as they agree with the opinions expressed.

Later...

backagain
04-26-2017, 01:51 PM
I also note that most all of the cuts have been to white males....Only one female that I know of so far and one African American ( more may be coming, these are the facts as they stand now). In America today, diversity means punishing as many of the majority as you can to raise up the minority. If you demand diversity in hiring then you should also demand diversity when the cut back come.

Later...

dan_bgblue
04-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Bottom line, that can't be good news for the SEC. I wonder if the AD's have a clue that they could be forced to take a haircut.

That could be one expensive hair cut

Thedonnie123
04-26-2017, 02:20 PM

on all threads.

Same here Krank.

KSRBEvans
04-26-2017, 03:02 PM
ESPN's own public editor admits they have been discussing and will continue to discuss politics and other non-sports matters, and even released new guidelines that relax previous restraints on politics and culture:

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/831/not-sticking-to-sports-the-right-move-for-espn

bigsky
04-26-2017, 03:42 PM
I watch basketball. I know politics better than ESPN does.

blueboss
04-26-2017, 05:55 PM
I watch basketball. I know politics better than ESPN does.

You also know more about basketball than ESPN does.

StuBleedsBlue2
04-26-2017, 06:15 PM
ESPN's cut has nothing to do with Politics. It's all about an aging business model where their primary revenue source was cable service, and that's taken a HUGE hit with basically a generation, their target audience, has cut the cord. They can't charge outrageous fees for their channels anymore that are the basic bundle of any cable package. Unbundling is their kiss(temporary) of death.

There will be a trickle down effect to the SEC schools when the network contract expires, unless ESPN is able to replace their revenue streams some other way, specifically advertising, as so many of the other cable networks do.

MickintheHam
04-26-2017, 06:29 PM
ESPN's cut has nothing to do with Politics. It's all about an aging business model where their primary revenue source was cable service, and that's taken a HUGE hit with basically a generation, their target audience, has cut the cord. They can't charge outrageous fees for their channels anymore that are the basic bundle of any cable package. Unbundling is their kiss(temporary) of death.

There will be a trickle down effect to the SEC schools when the network contract expires, unless ESPN is able to replace their revenue streams some other way, specifically advertising, as so many of the other cable networks do.
I don't believe you can be so sure that the trickle down will wait for the expiration of the contract. I've never seen a contract that couldn't be renegotiated.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Sorry, Darryl.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/efafc2ffe9d0ccfd2efe5447a5d94815.jpg

PedroDaGr8
04-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Even though I have some left leanings at times (especially compared to many here) the politics bothered me. Way more than the politics though, TMZification of the channel bothered me. I want sports, not gossip, drama and rants about politics (even if I support said ideas). I would watch ESPN to see the best in sports for the day. Not too see Screamin A Smith shouting about what brand of toilet paper LeBron cries into.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Catonahottinroof
04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Word.
I watch sports to get away from political schtik. Not to see more of it. I know I'm not alone in that thought either.

Even though I have some left leanings at times (especially compared to many here) the politics bothered me. Way more than the politics though, TMZification of the channel bothered me. I want sports, not gossip, drama and rants about politics (even if I support said ideas). I would watch ESPN to see the best in sports for the day. Not too see Screamin A Smith shouting about what brand of toilet paper LeBron cries into.

CitizenBBN
04-26-2017, 08:31 PM

on all threads.

Not that I am suggesting anyone give a spit about what "someone like me" does.

That's my last thought on this subject and my last post on this thread.

Enjoy it's evolution without me.

Peace.

The thread needed to be moved, and was.

But this is an area that's hard to moderate b/c while it's certainly OK to be liberal or conservative, it has been shown in polling data and other sources that in fact many viewers do see ESPN as having become far more overtly political, and liberally so, and it has impacted their viewership.

You are upset that politics was interjected into a sports-only venue. That is exactly what is being said by a lot of ESPN viewers, many of them but not all of them conservative. They want to tune in to hear about sports, not sports with a political twist.

I do think this topic belongs on the Barber shop, but it's also true that one factor in ESPN"s issues for many fans is the political issue, so that is relevant to a discussion of the ESPN business issues generally. It's just one that needs to be discussed elsewhere.

CitizenBBN
04-26-2017, 08:34 PM

And that's the point. I hear from a lot of non-conservatives that they don't want a focus on those things even if they happen to agree. That's just now where people go for that discussion.

It's a factor, and not just b/c "they're liberal" and conservatives don't like them. Being sourced up in the core of the East Coast they're likely going to be far more liberal than in places like SEC Country even with no intention of doing so, but the broader issue is that they are interjecting and covering political issues at all.

sports is where you go to escape that, which is why we moved this thread and try to maintain some separation of the discussion. As ESPN blends theirs people from all political walks of life are not going to like it.

jazyd
04-26-2017, 11:10 PM
I quit watching anything on ESPN other than a live game because of their political views.

Then we have Bilas showing his true colors so done with him

Mick, SEC AD's are in for a rude awakening if they don't start using a more conservative spending plan, those on the lower end better start making plans now, they are going to lose millions

CitizenBBN
04-26-2017, 11:43 PM
IMO the SEC will be better off than most, frankly I think better off than any other conference.

Why? B/c SEC fans arent' fickle or casual. It's how states with just 4-5 million people have such huge viewership numbers compared to huge states like New York and California. B/c everyone in these states stop to watch their college team.

Now if millennials all stop caring about sports that's an issue, but honestly when I was a teenager it wasn't nearly as big a deal to me. it was when I was a kid, then I got away from it, then came back.

The big market bidding may decline, but the SEC as a whole still has the most loyal and strong demand in the country.

Also, ad revenue will continue to be very strong for sports b/c that and the news are the only two things that aren't nearly 100% DVRed these days.

Where it's hitting is ESPN's annuity revenue stream of getting a fee for every subscriber whether they watch ESPN or not. The thing is they bid against people like CBS for rights to a lot of this, and those guys never did get that cash flow. I have to wonder how much of their windfall was reflected in their rights bidding and how much was just building fancy buildings and hiring lots of people.

It surely will impact it some, but relatively speaking I'm betting the SEC survives better than the others, and may ordinally leave them better off as the others will be hit even harder.

KentuckyWildcat
04-29-2017, 07:12 PM
UK just needs to start their own network :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
04-29-2017, 09:03 PM
UK just needs to start their own network :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We had one, and rolled it into the SECN, which I think will survive just fine. It may end up with a different model, but the fanbase is there to make it work.

UKHistory
05-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Outside of college basketball, I don't watch ESPN very often. Usually from the second week of April until college football, I don't watch it.

I especially don't want to watch the yelling shows. No use for that. I don't like yelling on my political Sunday shows either.

Civil, intelligent discourse with an honest exchange of ideas. That is what I like. Go figure.

So when folks talk about ESPN being too political I am unsure as to the specifics of their arguments. The new sports center had an ad that featured Stormtroopers (big plus) but also a jackass promoting "Carolina".

I elected to not watch it because of the affinity for UNC that the host and ESPN has.

I am not sure we can get away from politics in sports. Race, gender, socio-economic issues are a very real part of sports. Heck it was recruiting storis that first opened my eyes to poverty, challenged schools, and high crime of big cities. This was back in high school.

KentuckyWildcat
05-03-2017, 08:59 AM
http://www.youngcons.com/espn-anchor-linda-cohn-says-anyone-who-thinks-getting-political-didnt-hurt-network-is-blind/