PDA

View Full Version : Anybody had rotator cuff surgery before?

Darrell KSR
04-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Doc tells me that's what I need. He was going over timing of the surgery with me, and made it sound a) like a simple procedure, but b) like I'd be pretty incapacitated for awhile. Said useless for a week, and then very limited for a month or two.

Does that sound about right?

blueboss
04-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Sounds about right. I have not had the surgery but know a couple people that have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
04-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Know several who have had it done. Not the painless recovery the surgeons make it sound.
Very routine for them...but not so much for the patient.

MickintheHam
04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
During recovery, you'll be stuck on the couch and gain 25 lbs. :653:

dan_bgblue
04-17-2017, 06:34 PM
LOL

BigBluePappy
04-17-2017, 06:44 PM
Not yet, putting it off for as long as possible.
Thoughts and prayers for you, Mr. Cartwright.

Darrell KSR
04-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Sheesh. All the word I've been getting is that it's bad.

I've been having pain since before Thanksgiving, and underwent six weeks of physical therapy that didn't fix it or even get it much better after an initial gain. The MRI was bad.

The only thing I haven't done is to get a bunch of cortisone shots and take naproxen daily. I take naproxen on days when I'm going to physical therapy only because of the pain there, but otherwise, I'm just not much of a pill-taker. I'm wondering if maybe i need to just do that for an extended period. Maybe I'll do that a few weeks and see if I can play basketball or whatever.

jazyd
04-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Have 2 friends have it, took months of pain and pt. one still isn't over it, 8 months ago. But both are wimps

blueboss
04-18-2017, 12:05 AM
The sooner you have the surgery the sooner you'll get over having the surgery.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I think I'm going to get through high school graduation before scheduling it, but won't delay it much after that.

suncat05
04-18-2017, 08:38 AM
I know several people here locally that have had the surgery. Every one of them told me the surgery went well, but the physical therapy afterwards is very tough & very painful.
I have that injury myself, but at 62 I am thinking I will just forego that experience. I'm probably going to retire in the next 4 years or so. When I lift weights I keep it light now. No more heavy weight lifting for me anymore. And it's not like I'm 25 now, or that I'm going to join the Army and go through Basic Training or Airborne Basic again.
The heaviest lifting I do is carting bagged groceries from the car to the house, or doing those 12 ounce curls. So, no surgery for this guy.

blueboss
04-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I think I'm going to get through high school graduation before scheduling it, but won't delay it much after that.

By your posts I would have thought you had a high school diploma.

Oh well, congratulations!!!

CGWildcat
04-18-2017, 10:49 AM
I had the surgery about 7 or 8 years ago. Doc said there was a little more damage than anticipated once he got in there. Pain, yes, pretty good amount. While I was "down" I remember never being able to button my pants. Those muscles to "pull" the pants together originate in the shoulder area. Never anticipated that, but that's how I learned I was healing and getting better, once I could do that.

Bottom line, THRILLED I did it. Never had an issue with it since and quite honestly feel stronger in that right shoulder/arm than I ever have.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Guys, I'm no super athlete or anything. But one of the things I enjoy doing is playing "old man basketball" at my local church/school gym. I have keys to the gym (don't tell anyone), and enjoy playing the father-son games we play, where the sons are high school or college age, and can play a lot better than the Dads, but we compete.

I hate to lose it. I can't raise my arm, although I can still lift or do anything underhanded. I can't throw a baseball, not that I coach baseball anymore and none of my kids play it. One day I hope to have grandkids, and yes, I want to be that 65-70 year old guy still throwing a baseball and still playing basketball. For you young guys, you think that is crazy. For those of us in my general age range that are still somewhat active, it's not at all.

So I'll have it done. My insurance package this year is a good one; next year, who knows? I have had super-high deductible plans before as well, and that may be the case next year. So I have that incentive as well. Probably have met my deductible already for much of what has been done, too.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
During recovery, you'll be stuck on the couch and gain 25 lbs. :653:

Man...that is such a depressing thought....

blueboss
04-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Man...that is such a depressing thought....

You should be able to keep somewhat mobile after a few days.

We had a lady at work that had the surgery and she only missed a couple of weeks. She was 67 when she had the surgery, I know this because she kept reminding us. She did wear a sling for what seemed like forever.... but again she was 67.

suncat05
04-19-2017, 08:13 AM
You should be able to keep somewhat mobile after a few days.

We had a lady at work that had the surgery and she only missed a couple of weeks. She was 67 when she had the surgery, I know this because she kept reminding us. She did wear a sling for what seemed like forever.... but again

Awwwww, c'mon man! She was sandbagging, and you know it! LOL!