PDA

View Full Version : Couple of new/neat (to me) Nashville restaurant spots to hit

Darrell KSR
03-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Spent a long weekend in Nashville this weekend, and as usual, my daughter managed to direct us to a couple of neat spots to visit.

I love downtown Nashville, but these spots were away from downtown--one near Vanderbilt Hospital and Vandy (not far from downtown, I know), the other in Brentwood.

On Friday night, we were looking for a place besides fish (since nobody but me in my family likes it) on a meatless Friday, and my daughter suggested we go to a pizza place in Brentwood, "Pie in the Sky" Pizza. It's in Lenox Village, and a pretty cool feel to the place. Nice selection of beers, but the cheese pizza was excellent, as was the pestofredo penne pasta, and very filling. I don't want to know what the calories were; I was on a diet break this weekend. Nobody tried the wide variety of specialty pizzas they had, but based on local knowledge, I understand they are outstanding. Also had several televisions in the place tuned to NCAA basketball, so it was a good pre-game area for us.

Saturday afternoon we had a late lunch at Kay Bob's Grill & Ale near Vanderbilt hospital. We sat outside, which was an excellent choice on a great afternoon, very pleasant. The place had a wide variety of flatbread tap sandwiches and such, and I opened for a very reasonably priced Jasper's Junk Sandwich--grilled kielbasa with sauerkraut and a sweet and spicy mustard sauce. They practically were giving it away, and that's the kind of food I really enjoy because a) it doesn't get served at home, and b) we rarely go someplace that serves that kind of meal. Others got burger-type Bobs, grilled steak platters, chicken salad platters, and vegetarian daughter got a veggie platter that looked excellent--mushrooms, red peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, with rice, cucumber sauce, black bean hummus, etc. Lot of really good offerings there.

We were "entertained," if you will, with the lifesaver helicopter flying overhead landing on Vandy hospital. I hope that's not bad to say, and I said a small prayer that they were helping save someone with that.

The place also specializes in local craft beer (25 on tap), and lo and behold, but Saturday they offer 2-for-1 specials all day long. Score! My son and I enjoyed a couple of local sour beers which I found very interesting and enjoyable. I'm not a beer connoisseur, and told my son that I wanted something different, but nothing too bitter, and he suggested going the other direction with a sour. I had the Honky Tonk Cherry Berliner Weisse, 6.0% ABV, from the Honky Tonk Brewing Co. in Nashville, and a Jackalope Lovebird Fruit Beer from the Jackalope Brewing Company, also in Nashville. I took a look at the Little Harpeth Double Paddle Dopplebock--gotta like a beer with a 10.0% ABV, don't you, from the Little Harpeth Brewing Co. in Nashville, but opted elsewhere. I'm not a big IPA or stout guy either, so this was fun for a change getting me away from my normal beer-that-tastes-like-water :).

Food good, setting and people watching was fun, and beer was excellent. A great place to spend an afternoon.

Anyway, thought I'd share the "away-from-downtown" spots that we hit in case you're there and looking for something different.

dan_bgblue
03-27-2017, 09:43 PM
Do you know if Pie in the Sky has a wood, gas, or coal fired oven? I am always looking for a new pizza place but am picky in that regard.

Thanks

Darrell KSR
03-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Dan, I don't know, and I wish I had more of the pizza myself to tell you, although the small bite I had of cheese was very good. I'd be careful before heading there with that in mind. I'd withhold a recommendation for a real pizza buff. To me, the setting was more of the thing and the pasta type dishes than the pizza.

Darrell KSR
03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
I just took a look at some reviews, and I'd say, be careful. The biggest pluses seem to be the atmosphere, "small town vibes," etc. I have no hesitation in recommending the pasta dish, but much hesitation for recommending the pizza to a pizza buff. I've seen more negative reviews of their pizza than positive, although you get the "their pizza is great, I drive from Atlanta and this is the first place I go to because the pizza is so good" reviews as well.

I think the fairest review was from a guy in Chicago. Says that because he's from Chicago, he's a pizza snob--says the sauce was good, tasted like made out of scratch, but crust had more of a cornmeal flavor rather than a flour type dough he prefers. Says he's had far worse, but definitely had better, too. That's probably a very fair review.

Darrell KSR
03-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Here's a bunch of reviews of it for future reference:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g55229-d1825790-Reviews-Pie_In_The_Sky_Pizza-Nashville_Tennessee.html

KentuckyWildcat
03-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Do you know if Pie in the Sky has a wood, gas, or coal fired oven? I am always looking for a new pizza place but am picky in that regard.

Thanks
What is your favorite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
03-28-2017, 11:07 AM
My favorite is actually cooked in a wood fired oven in my back yard. My SIL got a bug in his ear to build an oven and we did several years ago. He spent months researching types of bread flour and yeast for the dough, different types of canned tomatoes for the sauce, different types of sausage and brands of pepperoni and different mozzarella for the cheese. He cooks a mean thin crust pizza.

I prefer wood fired to coal or gas, but each of those can be really good as well.

For restaurant prepared I have to give the nod to, Varasano's Pizzeria in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta.

dan_bgblue
03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Darrell, thanks for the info and the link. I will keep it in mind as a diversion if I am in that part of Nashville and am looking for a bite to eat. Sounds like it is an upgrade over Pizza Hut or Papa Johns, but not a real pizzeria either.

Darrell KSR
03-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Kay Bob's is the better choice. But if you are needing pizza, and in Brentwood, it works.