PDA

View Full Version : Vacation help - Memphis to NOLA to Orange Beach

Padukacat
03-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Thats my route. Heres what i have planned, need to fill this in with some dining or activity recommendations for those who have been there. This was my last minute booking for a spring break getaway 4/1-4/6.

4/1 - Drive to Memphis, staying at the new Guest House at Graceland sat night. Visit Graceland saturday when we arrive then planning to go to Beal street that night, need dining options. We have always eaten at Miss Polly's which is an awesome hole in the wall fried chicken place. Any other ideas for places to go or eat that night would be great.

4/2 - Getting up early and driving to New orleans, should arrive around 2 pm and checking in to the Olivier House Hotel which is located in the French Quarter area. It looked good and i got a good price, hope i like it. We will prob grab some food then head to the NOLA vs Bulls game at 5 pm (literally based my vacation route on my kids and i seeing our first NBA game with some UK players to boot). After the game planning to browse the area and hear some live music and find a good place to eat that wont take forever.

4/3 - Plan to get up early and do some more sightseeing in New Orleans. Prob eat lunch then head toward the next stop so i need some ideas on what to do from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. We really like to just browse around and see different areas so i pictured doing this like we do in savannagh but i'm open to ideas. Real open. dont really think we will take the time to do any tours unless its just a must do. Keep in mind i have a 15 and 14 yr old boy w a 10 yr old girl. I'll force them to enjoy it if its good though...

4/3 afternoon - heading to perdido beach just on the other side of orange beach and still on the GA side and staying at a place called Dolphin Key. Kinda rolled the dice on what looked good and secluded for the area so hope i'm right. We will settle in to the condo on the beach and then probably drive around a little and find a place to browse and eat. Love live music if possible.

4/4-4/6 - Staying in same place and looking for dining options and possibly cool activities that the kids would like. Our adopted boy from china wants to catch a shark but not sure i want to pay $700 for that in my limited time. Saw the air force museam is nearby in pensacola. Any ideas? As for dining i did see the flora-bama Yacht club looked good with live music. I really like places that are on the beach where you can eat outside or see the ocean while hearing some live music. The wife wont like it if its too skanky so i'm hoping i have a few good options. dont mind driving to gulf shores if needed.

Sorry for the long description, but thought it might help the vacationers here to give me tips. If you plan on being there that week let me know and we can grab a drink!

Darrell KSR
03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
You will get a lot of good recommendations here. I have several I can make for the New Orleans visit as well as the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. I'm waiting on physical therapy on my shoulder, so it will have to be this afternoon before I can post, but you may get more good recommendations and not even need more.

KSRBEvans
03-23-2017, 09:45 AM
I'll let the others who have been to Memphis and NOLA a lot more than I have give you their tips for those.

As for Orange Beach, we usually stay in Perdido Key, about 5-10 minutes east of you. Our favorite place to eat is Fisherman's Corner (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d1103766-Reviews-Fishermans_Corner-Pensacola_Florida.html), which is under the bridge before you cross over toward Pensacola. Not a great view and just a little shack-type place but really awesome food. If you're looking for something with more of a view we've eaten at the Crab Trap (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34551-d538971-Reviews-The_Crab_Trap_Restaurant_Bar-Perdido_Key_Florida.html) in Perdido Key, which is right on the beach. Food is good but not awesome. Another place is the Oyster Bar Restaurant (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d329009-Reviews-Perdido_Key_Oyster_Bar_Restaurant-Pensacola_Florida.html), which is on the water and has great views. Food was OK. Maybe it's just our experience, but the closer to the water the lesser the food quality, and vice versa.

If you want to go west into Gulf Shores, we like the Original Oyster House (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30582-d329054-Reviews-Original_Oyster_House-Gulf_Shores_Alabama.html), especially for a late lunch or early dinner so you don't have to fight the crowds. Seafood's good and the sides are really good. We've gone to the outlet shops in Foley and stopped by there on the way back.

If you want to just cook in your condo, the best place to get seafood IMHO is Joe Patti Seafood (http://www.joepattis.com/) in Pensacola about 30 minutes from where you're staying. The place is huge, they'll have just about anything you could want and the prices are good. You could go to the Naval Aviation Museum (which is awesome) and stop by there on the way back.

We usually go down there to just veg out and we don't look for too many activities, so I can't tell you much about what else to do. I think they have a water park nearby but I can't tell you much about it.

Catfan73
03-23-2017, 11:16 AM
I know next to nothing about Memphis and New Orleans and we usually stay down around Mexico Beach, but isn't the place that fries their burgers in the 100 year old grease in Memphis?

We're going to Myrtle Beach this year with stops in the Smokies and Raleigh NC (family) on the way.

dan_bgblue
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
It does not appear that your schedule would permit it, but when going thru Mobile to get to points east, a worthy stop imo is the USS Alabama and the USS Drum museum. If one has never climbed down into a WWII submarine after one does it is something one will never forget. Been over 25 years since we were there, and I still remember the experience just like it was last month

Catfan73
03-23-2017, 02:20 PM
I got to tour the USS Francis Scott Key years ago, a nuclear ballistic missile sub. I still can't fathom going out for months at a time in one of those things.

PedroDaGr8
03-23-2017, 02:45 PM
I got to tour the USS Francis Scott Key years ago, a nuclear ballistic missile sub. I still can't fathom going out for months at a time in one of those things.

Here is some more nightmare fuel for you about submarines. In an article about cockroaches:

In the heaviest of infestations – on Navy submarines and in children’s bedrooms alike – they will gnaw off their sleeping victims’ eyelashes.

blueboss
03-23-2017, 06:38 PM
We stay at Seaspray in Perdido and will be there in May.

I agree with BEvans on Fishermans Corner. It's become our tradition to eat there our first day/night. If we go for lunch I get a grilled shrimp PO boy... trust me. They say they have the best steak on the island but I can't past the chef specials and seafood entrees to try it. They also have a really good lobster bisque if you like soup, and their ceaser salad is pretty close to the real deal.

Cobalt in Orange Beach is good, place is huge but the patio is nice if the weather is right.

Cosmos on Canal Rd is really good a lot of locals recommended it. BBQ crab claws in a creole butter for an appetizer. They serve a sea bass cooked in a banana leaf wrapper that might be the best seafood I've ever eaten, and for dessertFresh, ripe bananas battered, fried & dusted with cinnamon & sugar. Served with vanilla ice cream & a chocolate banana sauce. (You're welcome).

Cottons was really good too...but take sweater.

I've heard Bubba Gumps is good and looks fun, it I tend to steer away from chain type places.

Florabama Bar seems to be rock'n every night all though I've never been, but lot of commotion around it when we've passed by, and they advertise live music.

Back to the steak thing, when we want cow we take the short drive to Pensicola and go to Maguires... can't beat it... I'm a ribeye guy, the .13 bean soup is good, but meals come with a salad and a side so go hungry...

I've got more if you need. A nice day trip is to go to Fort Morgan and take the ferry to Dauphin Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
03-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Can only add that if you like music, a variety and people watching take a cab for you and the Missus to the Flora-Bama.

Everyone else has already given the best suggestions.
Being the son of a WWII veteran (Army) I can not endorse enough about the Mobile, Drum and Aviation museum...
Safe trip and happy travels to you, and pay no attention to that 230 pound stowaway in your trunk.

KentuckyWildcat
03-23-2017, 08:18 PM
I have a list of restaurants. I'll see if I can find it later. I may have posted it here before as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Padukacat
03-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks so much for all the good info folks!

blueboss
03-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Thanks so much for all the good info folks!

Oh yeah, go on line and check out the Blue Angels practice schedule, I believe it's on Wednesdays around 11:00 am.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2017, 09:11 PM
If you can fit it in -- the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is a lot of fun to visit, and if I remember correctly, it's free. There's a small cafe in it where you can eat lunch if you want.

You said you'll be at Perdido April 4-6 or so? That includes April 5, which is a Wednesday. Both April 4th (Tues) and 5th (Weds) the Navy Blue Angels will be practicing, which is an incredible show in itself, and on Wednesdays, after the show, the team goes to the museum to answer questions and sign autographs. The museum, if I remember correctly, is free. The practice, of course, is free admission, open to the public as well. They have a small cafe in the museum where you can have a late lunch.

Also, the Pensacola Lighthouse is pretty cool, has a great view of the bay, and you can reserve space on top of it for viewing them when they practice--I JUST CHECKED, AND THERE ARE 5 SPACES LEFT FOR THE 11 A.M. VIEWING ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.pensacolalighthouse.org/index/gallery/blue-angels-practice

Even if you don't get that (you don't have to, but it would be cool--I've been a few times to see them, but never in the lighthouse when they did--still go to the lighthouse before or after. It's pretty neat. They also have ghost tours there sometimes, too.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Just going to float a few basic New Orleans ideas that are family-friendly.

* Grab beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde, walk around Jackson Square. Look at riverboats, street entertainers, etc. "I bet you $5 I can tell you where you got your shoes."

* Riverwalk on Poydras Street, souvenir shopping and food court

* The basics everybody talks about: Audubon Zoo, Acquarium of the Americas, and Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium (U.S. Custom House).

* National World War II Museum--really cool.

* Ride the streetcar down St. Charles.

* Tour the cemeteries--but be careful. Be VERY careful. Can be dangerous. Recommend now, in today's world, to take a guided cemetery tour. I think it's cool to see above-ground cemeteries, which are required because New Orleans is below sea level. Anne Rice set much of her work within Lafayette No. 1 cemetery.

* Kid-friendly jazz music at Preservation Hall.

* It's touristy, and you don't want to do it probably, but if this really appeals to you, they have several swamp tours. I think they're fun, and cool to see wildlife like real live gators (they get them right up to the boat with chicken gizzards and such. Don't lean out. I'm not kidding.) More than just gators in them there swamps, but that's kinda the headliner.

* Now, **I** would like Central Grocery, and get a muffuletta, which I love--both some people really don't like the taste of them because of the marinated olives, or whatever. Overstuffed, and really good.

* You can ride on the Natchez steamboat on the Mississippi River. Me, I'd rather just go to Jax Brewery, grab a cold one, and sit and watch the boats go up and down the river.

**Note--that's just off the top of my head. As far as I know, everything there is still open, but a bunch of stuff did close after Katrina, and I confess, I have not kept up. Check out anything yourself before going there.**

I'd love to be going back and doing some of those things myself. Then again, I'd probably just go down Prytania or Magazine Street, go to Casamento's and grab some fresh oysters and a cold beer and enjoy New Orleans that way. Ton of great things to do there in one of my two favorite cities.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2017, 09:39 PM
It does not appear that your schedule would permit it, but when going thru Mobile to get to points east, a worthy stop imo is the USS Alabama and the USS Drum museum. If one has never climbed down into a WWII submarine after one does it is something one will never forget. Been over 25 years since we were there, and I still remember the experience just like it was last month

Same...I've been there three times, spent the night on the USS Alabama twice when the boy scout troops camped out there overnight, and had the run of the ship (and the submarine) to themselves. Now, that was fun, exploring at 2 a.m. and such. Irritated at 9-year olds for not sleeping, but today, as a 56-year old man, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Padukacat
03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Great stuff guys!

KSRBEvans
03-24-2017, 11:39 AM
I'd say my favorite meal in New Orleans was at Felix's (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60864-d492383-Reviews-Felix_s_Restaurant_and_Oyster_Bar-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html) on Iberville (IIRC). Just outstanding grilled oysters, jambalaya and the other Cajun standbys. We also really enjoyed brunch at Court of Two Sisters (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60864-d463922-Reviews-Court_of_Two_Sisters-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html) as a special treat. We couldn't get a reservation for our 1st choice, Commander's Palace, but this was great. Their courtyard is beautiful and a jazz band was playing. And glad we had a muffuletta while we were there--never had one and it was an unexpected treat.

CitizenBBN
03-25-2017, 07:43 PM
They had (may still have) a WWII Sub in Chicago. I toured that, it was super cool.

If I were a billionaire I wouldn't get one of those fancy super yachts. I'd get a WWII surplus sub and spruce up the deck and redo for some fancier state rooms, but I'd have that sub if it were between that and the fancy boat. They're just so very cool and can you imagine the annoyance it would create among all the other rich folks at the yacht club? Big honkin' American flag on it, and if that doesn't get them enough run your laundry line on it.

Anyway, they are worth seeing. Amazing design and even more amazing how those sub crews operate.

MickintheHam
03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
You are missing a great opportunity ti visit the Mississippi Delta with its great juke joints and blues history. And it is hard not to just love those Delta tamales.

Padukacat
04-04-2017, 05:57 PM
I'll have to recap my trip but headed to fishermans corner now! Been a good trip. Thanks for all the advice

blueboss
04-04-2017, 08:15 PM
I'll have to recap my trip but headed to fishermans corner now! Been a good trip. Thanks for all the advice

Lucky dog!!!

MickintheHam
04-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Same...I've been there three times, spent the night on the USS Alabama twice when the boy scout troops camped out there overnight, and had the run of the ship (and the submarine) to themselves. Now, that was fun, exploring at 2 a.m. and such. Irritated at 9-year olds for not sleeping, but today, as a 56-year old man, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Thanks for sharing the memories of the USS Alabama. My son and I stilltalk about the experience 20 years later. Sleeping in those hammocks was a hoot. Adding to the experience was that my dad worked at the Naval Ordinance Plant in Louisville and could tell my son what guns and other ordinance his plant had provided.

Darrell KSR
04-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the memories of the USS Alabama. My son and I stilltalk about the experience 20 years later. Sleeping in those hammocks was a hoot. Adding to the experience was that my dad worked at the Naval Ordinance Plant in Louisville and could tell my son what guns and other ordinance his plant had provided.

Mick, you know my son, Andrew, who you helped with his Eagle Scout project. He and I still talk about the U.S.S. Alabama trip.

There we are, middle of the night, and pitch dark below.

"Thump."

"Andrew, are you okay?"

"Yeah, Dad--I dropped my flashlight."

He scurries down off the top and retrieves it.

A little while later....."thump."

"Andrew, are you okay?"

"Yeah, Dad, I dropped my water bottle."

He scurries down and retrieves it.

A little while later--yep, another "thump."

"Andrew, are you okay?"

"Yeah, Dad. James just fell."

:)

dan_bgblue
04-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Hehehe. Nice story. We were there in July and as you can imagine it was a bit toasty, and IIRC the only place on the Alabama that was air conditioned was the bridge. Can not imagine having to spend a night below decks at that time of year.

KSRBEvans
04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Paduka, looking forward to a trip report when you get a chance. We're traveling vicariously through you. :D