PDA

View Full Version : How inexpensively could this be constructed?

Darrell KSR
03-21-2017, 02:03 PM
I was at a soccer game last week and saw someone with an expensive-looking get-up to record the game.

It was a very tall--VERY TALL--pole--maybe 10-12 feet high, could have been a little higher. At the top was the camcorder he was using, with the view screen panel extended out--might be one like mine where you HAVE to do that if you want to record anything. Obviously, he wasn't looking at that tiny 2.7" screen or so at the top. Instead, he had a tablet about 5½ feet up, where he could easily see it in front of him, and just turned the pole to match the action on the field on the 7" screen or however large it was.

I thought it looked really cool.

So can I make something like this?

8-foot pole (preferably telescoping, for ease of transport).
Some TV type screen attached
I guess a remote control to at least turn the camcorder on and off (I suppose that is related to my camcorder). Would also like the ability to zoom in/out, if beggars can be choosers.

I either hand-hold (now, since somebody else is doing the "official" one), use a 60" monopod (I could buy a 72" monopod, and that might satisfy me for now), or tripod (I am not using this right now for school season).

Is there some way to do this easily? And inexpensively?

Darrell KSR
03-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Bleh--it looks like my inexpensive camcorder doesn't have a remote control option, so I wouldn't want to use it. That's what I get for getting the Canon HF R700 instead of the 70 or 72, which would have allowed wi-fi and a wireless remote control.

Nevermind. The 60 or 72" monopod will have to suffice.

dan_bgblue
03-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Your monopod and a 6-7 foot section of bamboo that has an interior diameter that closely matches your monopod's foot outside diameter would fit the bill imo. We can certainly get more complicated, collapsable and professional looking if you ever want to do this

Darrell KSR
03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Here's something--not really sure what it is. But could I use this?

https://www.adorama.com/vzstymp.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnsPGBRDo4c6RqK-Oqu8BEiQAwNviCe9pAtGztDpK7I3QIR3q7OxjgkbsNNfLHUYvb U7-TAwaArtL8P8HAQ

I have a 60" monopod. But I found an inexpensive 72" monopod, probably worth what they are asking for it. Then again, I'm not looking for anything more than just something to fool around with.

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Photo-Monopod-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004N0IY38

dan_bgblue
03-21-2017, 04:24 PM
I assume (bad thing to do I know but) that you are wanting a clear field of view when people stand or walk in front of you. I seem to always wind up behind some 6' guy wearing a Stetson or a grandmother at 5'2" with a 1' beehive hairdo. I would not be satisfied with a 72" monopod as that puts the camera lens at about 80" or so.

The female threads on your camera should be 1/4 x 20 and the same for the monopod. It would not be hard at all for someone to fix it so an additional adjustable monopod could be attached to the top of the monopod you already have, by screwing the two together, getting you to that 10' max height and allow you to lower it to about 7'6" when you wanted to.

Darrell KSR
03-21-2017, 05:00 PM
I assume (bad thing to do I know but) that you are wanting a clear field of view when people stand or walk in front of you. I seem to always wind up behind some 6' guy wearing a Stetson or a grandmother at 5'2" with a 1' beehive hairdo. I would not be satisfied with a 72" monopod as that puts the camera lens at about 80" or so.

The female threads on your camera should be 1/4 x 20 and the same for the monopod. It would not be hard at all for someone to fix it so an additional adjustable monopod could be attached to the top of the monopod you already have, by screwing the two together, getting you to that 10' max height and allow you to lower it to about 7'6" when you wanted to.

You nailed the need precisely.

Interesting...that sounds like a pretty good plan.