PDA

View Full Version : The Mark Stoops Era Begins

SalsaKat
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I, for one, am excited. Maybe a bit guardedly, but I think "cautious optimism" is a synonym for "UK football" so that is nothing new.

All in all, a real big hire. :happy0030:

Darrell KSR
11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
If I'm not ecstatic with the choice, I'm near ecstatic.

My hopes and expectations were low; and he greatly exceeded both. UK football needed a big hire. In my opinion, Mitch Barnhart landed one.

Badinage
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I did not think UK would land Stoops. I am very excited about this hire. I think our Florida commitments will be, as well. I also think ESPN will look favorably on this and we will see an interview or two during bowl season. I think Mitch did get a jump on the competition and hired someone that will be well-received within the industry, by most fans, and by the recruits. Upgrading recruiting is key. I think Stoops has the contacts and experience to get some people excited.

fastkat
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Mitch may not have hit a home run but right now it looks like a stand up triple

Badinage
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
We only know by results. But, it should be received as a big hit.

Catonahottinroof
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Time to get behind our new coach.

SalsaKat
11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
^^ Agreed. If he wasn't "your guy" he should be now.

SalsaKat
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm pleased by the reports of his interview. Supposedly he wasn't a very high-up candidate until, in his interview, he laid out a detailed plan on exactly how to get UK to win in the SEC. And this impressed Barnhart so much that he went forward. I like that, we need a plan. And we also need to provide the resources to make that plan a reality.

Badinage
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
^^ Agreed. If he wasn't "your guy" he should be now.

Agreed!

fastkat
11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm pleased by the reports of his interview. Supposedly he wasn't a very high-up candidate until, in his interview, he laid out a detailed plan on exactly how to get UK to win in the SEC. And this impressed Barnhart so much that he went forward. I like that, we need a plan. And we also need to provide the resources to make that plan a reality.

Sounds like he did his homework and really wanted this job. Time will tell whether this is true.

CatinIL
11-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I feel good about this hire. Hopefully he can change things around at UK.

suncat05
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Sounds like he did his homework and really wanted this job. Time will tell whether this is true.

This! Hopefully Stoops sees the potential for building his legacy here and can build this program up the right & legal way. I just hope he likes it in Lexington and will want to stay. And I hope he can build a competitive winner, but only time and good results will tell that story.

Badinage
11-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Reports are suggesting Coley will come with Stoops, but perhaps not as the OC. May be another OC in the works.

SalsaKat
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I hear reports of Coley as TE/Recruiting Coordinator, Neal Brown as OC, and Randy Shannon as DC. Obviously a complete fictitious pipe dream. Probably because I can't see Coley taking a demotion AND moving to Kentucky, Neal Brown moving to Kentucky without a promotion, nor Randy Shannon moving to Kentucky at all. But hey let's enjoy the dream while we can.

Scratch that, the reports of this are in fact saying it is the OC position that has been offered, not just "a position". So yes, pipe dream indeed.

Should I be at all worried that Florida State fans don't seem too upset over losing both coordinators?

Badinage
11-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Not going to worry about what FSU fans think.

SalsaKat
11-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Now the talk is James Coley as either OC or asst. HC/TE/RC and DJ Eliot (FSU DL coach) as DC. And the Neal Brown thing refuses to die too. At least the crazy rumor train hasn't stopped rolling since we hired a coach. Wonder how soon this staff will be in place.

I never thought I'd see the day where UK was gutting FSU's staff. Crazy. Mitch, you sly dog you.

SalsaKat
11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Kentucky: I have just learned that former Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto is likely to join Mark Stoops' coaching staff at Kentucky. No word yet on the position, but Peveto has a background of coordinating special teams.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html (Can't seem to find a permalink, so the post may get buried in a few days.)

Peveto was Special Teams coach for LSU in 2007 when they won the title... (muttering) and missed a chip shot field goal that would have won the game in regulation against Kentucky... Just kidding, sounds like a big get.

fastkat
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Should I be at all worried that Florida State fans don't seem too upset over losing both coordinators?

I wouldn't be, I see posts here and I wonder if the poster knows anything about football. Stoops took them from the worst defense to one of the best and he still sucks. He had to do something right you would think.

Badinage
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
There are negative Nancies in every fan base. I think for UK, Stoops is a homerun. These things are decided on the field and in the win loss columns, but that is how I feel right now. Excited to get this staff together and see if they can surprise with some recruits in the short amount of time left.

Catonahottinroof
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Even an offensively challenged (like this year) Wildcat team will benefit from a good defensive minded head coach. The building blocks are there, just need assembling.
5-7 wins next season is my hope.

fastkat
11-29-2012, 07:02 PM
I think there are enough building blocks for 6 wins next year. The injuries caused a lot of young players to get quality experience this year.

SalsaKat
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Go ahead and say "Coach Stoops" out loud a few times. Sounds pretty awesome, right?

Dogsoldier202
12-01-2012, 09:48 AM
It seems as Jimbo Fisher is the top candidate for the UT job according to rumors coming from Chris Low... FSU may have to replace the whole staff and do you think this hurts our chances at Coley or will he hold out to see if he can get a shot at the FSU job if Fisher does bolt for UT...

kritikalcat
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
* There are all kinds of reasons why some FSU fans may say they won't miss Stoops et al. Sour grapes, the loss to UF, some say he's never really gotten along well with Fisher, some look more at the defense's struggles against top opponents than the overall improvement, etc.

* Everything (limited) I've read suggests that Coley is more tied to Stoops than FSU/Fisher. There is talk that Fisher will start letting the OC actually call plays in games but may be looking to bring in a different OC for this rather than let Coley do it. I don't think Coley is a candidate for the FSU head coaching job. If FSU fights to keep him, it will be for his recruiting ability. All-in-all this seems like a good time for Coley to get out of Tallahassee.

Catfan73
12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Cholly Strong supposedly interviewed with UT a couple of days ago. The UT fans don't sound like they're enamored with him or Jimbo.

Badinage
12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Would FSU make a play for Stoops if Fisher leaves?

Badinage
12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Cholly Strong supposedly interviewed with UT a couple of days ago. The UT fans don't sound like they're enamored with him or Jimbo.

Where is the Strong rumor coming from?

Catfan73
12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
It was apparently reported by several Tennessee media outlets. I personally have a hard time believing he's at the top of their list unless they're panicking again already.

I doubt Fisher goes anywhere--it appears his agent--Jimmy Sexton, who also perennially had Houston Nutt on every opening list--is merely trying to get him a raise.

Dogsoldier202
12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
According to most UT media outlets Fisher is the ADs top choice followed by Charlie Strong.. The fan base tho was all wrapped up in John Gruden.

Badinage
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Money boosters felt Gruden was coming.

dan_bgblue
12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
If most of what I have read in the past few weeks has any truth in it, Gruden is not interested in coaching in college.

Dogsoldier202
12-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Gruden offically turned down UT last week, they did in fact meet but no deal was reached.

ColonelSteve
12-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Report that ticket request for next season has soared since the announcement...GREAT news if true

Badinage
12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Surely, some reporter will file an open records request to ensure the veracity of these reports, because we need to know.

ColonelSteve
12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) -- Just days after UK announced Mark Stoops would be the Wildcats' next football coach many fans are already making plans to be at Commonwealth Stadium next season.

We're told hundreds of people have called the UK athletics ticket office this week wanting to buy football tickets. But those who work there say that's a good problem to have.

Mark Stoops, the defensive coordinator at Florida State, is officially coming to UK as the football team's head coach.
UK officials tell us that news single handedly caused ticket sales to spike the day the announcement was made.

Since then, thousands of phone calls have been pouring in, people wanting to buy tickets, renew their season tickets, or to just get more.

"Usually there's some enthusiasm when hiring a new coach," said Tony Neely, UK athletics media relations director. "But in my 19 years I've been here, this is definitely the most off the charts we've had in terms of fans being excited about the new coach being announced."

UK officials at the ticket office tell WKYT they typically wait until February to renew season tickets, but because of the demand, they are already fulfilling those requests for the 2013 UK football season.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Ticket-sales-up-after-Stoops-hire-181608871.html

fastkat
12-02-2012, 02:54 PM
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) -- Just days after UK announced Mark Stoops would be the Wildcats' next football coach many fans are already making plans to be at Commonwealth Stadium next season.

We're told hundreds of people have called the UK athletics ticket office this week wanting to buy football tickets. But those who work there say that's a good problem to have.

Mark Stoops, the defensive coordinator at Florida State, is officially coming to UK as the football team's head coach.
UK officials tell us that news single handedly caused ticket sales to spike the day the announcement was made.

Since then, thousands of phone calls have been pouring in, people wanting to buy tickets, renew their season tickets, or to just get more.

"Usually there's some enthusiasm when hiring a new coach," said Tony Neely, UK athletics media relations director. "But in my 19 years I've been here, this is definitely the most off the charts we've had in terms of fans being excited about the new coach being announced."

UK officials at the ticket office tell WKYT they typically wait until February to renew season tickets, but because of the demand, they are already fulfilling those requests for the 2013 UK football season.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Ticket-sales-up-after-Stoops-hire-181608871.html

I hope that the people that bailed out and are now returning lose their priority points and have to start over at zero points. It would sure stink for those of us that hung in there to get lesser seats to a bowl game.

ColonelSteve
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Also there is a rumor that FSU DE Coach DJ Eliot is already out recruiting for UK...there is your DC...was a GA on the 2002 Miami Fiesta Bowl team

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/eliot_dj00.html

Badinage
12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Tim Couch seems pretty happy. Other past players voiced satisfaction, as well. Seems the talk of player dissatisfaction was not universal.

dan_bgblue
12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Put 100 people in a room and there is no way they would all agree on many things.

The level of dissatisfaction from former players of the previous situation is not a rumor. Many of the players are happy with the new hire, but are withholding full support until they see if the administration follows thru with their promises.

Badinage
12-02-2012, 09:31 PM
The coach search was criticized as inept. That was wrong and clearly not a shared feeling. Being ignorant about a process is acceptable. Criticizing what you do not know is petty.

Badinage
12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
The sycophants of negativity have lost this round. That is a good thing.

Dogsoldier202
12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
UT media outlets are saying that UT interviewed with OSU HC Mike Gundy yesterday. BTW if you wonder why I hear so much about UT it is because I live on the kentucky/Ewtee border and alot fo the sports talk radio I have to listen to is out of Nashville. Plus have to deal with alot of UT fans, not so many UL fans but a ton of UT fans.

Badinage
12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Another site said the expect UT to interview Strong (which it claimed occurred), Fisher, and Gundy. I do not think Charlie is their first choice.

Poetax
12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Does anybody know if DJ Eliot is coaching in the bowl game? Plus, if Neal Brown wasn't talked to today, you can bet he will before this week is up. I really like the Stoops hire.

suncat05
12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
If what I read somewhere is true, I am really impressed with Stoops in that he approached MB about the Kentucky job, and that he presented a detailed plan to MB to raise Kentucky football up from the grave of the forgotten dead.
These two JUCO signings today don't hurt the cause either.
I am still in the "wait-n-see what happens" side of the room, but I like what Coach Stoops & staff have managed to do up to this point.
If successful in the short term, I hope that Coach Stoops will seriously consider staying with Kentucky and building his very own legacy and Kentucky football into a consistent SEC championship contender.
I realize that's reaching pretty far out there, but it's what Kentucky football needs, what Kentucky football fans long for & hope for, and I hope it is what Coach Stoops wants to accomplish at Kentucky.

truecatsfan
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Sun, i think if Stoops turns this thing around he will be here for a long time. He will be treated like a rock star. Remember he wanted this job and Mitch has shown he will open up the check book.

suncat05
12-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I hope we're both right about that truecatsfan. Time will tell.

Droops63
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Nice to read the title of this thread. :)

ColonelSteve
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Jaleel -UK Commit- ‏@TheRealLeel_9

If you dont think Uk not gonna have a top 25 recruiting class in the next couple weeks....just wait