PDA

View Full Version : Of mice and (men's) pen....

Darrell KSR
03-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Warning: long, boring story ahead. Especially if you're not a pen person.

I sometimes astound myself at how easily I can distract myself and delay getting started in my work. Today was such an example.

I had a physical therapy appointment today for work on my rotator cuff. No, that wasn't how I procrastinated. But after it was done, it was close to noon, and I was close to my house. Since my lunches these days consist of things like an instant pack of oatmeal and a banana, or a couple of boiled eggs, it's better to go home and eat. So I did.

That had nothing to do with it either. I'm sorta leading you on a wild mouse chase so far. Hey, there's the mice.

Anyway, I had a lot to do this afternoon. I knew it would require writing on a project, and include numerous revisions that my assistant would have to type for me. So I looked around carefully for the most important decision of the afternoon.

What would my writing utensil be?

Would it be a pencil? I have a Kerry Sharp Pentel and a Kurotoga, along with some premium regular wooden pencils that have extra-black lead that I like. But I've been using pencils recently, and my assistant doesn't particularly like my pencil revisions to typewritten documents, even though I use soft, dark lead.

Ballpoint pen? I have two "nice" ones I like that have special meaning to me. One is a gold Cross pen, filled with broad blue point. It was a high school graduation gift, given to me by my Mom (and Dad). Engraved with my graduation date, which was 39 years ago. No idea why I have not lost it, but I use it regularly. Writes very well.

Also have a nice Mont Blanc black pen given to me by my first law office as a parting gift when I left to go back to school.

I have other nice ballpoint pens, but those are my two favorites.

No, won't be a ballpoint today.

I could always go with a gel pen or something that just writes well--some cheap, disposable pen that probably works better than anything I have, really--but we have those at the office, and I use those when I don't have anything else.

No, not that today.

No, it would be a fountain pen. Haven't used one in awhile, and I really like them on occasion. I go in phases, and freely admit it. I have four basic ones--a Pilot Metropolitan (cheap, but highly rated by many--check on Amazon, about $15), a basic Waterman, an expensive Waterman that I only use for signing certain documents and such, and a Namiki Vanishing Point (broad point) that I use for every day work. Haven't written with it in about a year, and it sounded perfect.

So I loaded it up--all of my fountain pens are cartridge or bladder-filled; I love the idea of filling the pen up every time before I use it, and using the bottle. Satisfies the Mennonite in me, I think. Tried to write with it--nothing. I had allowed ink to dry in it, so it required a bit of massaging. Warm water dip, re-flushing, etc.

Refilled with my favorite washable blue (Florida blue, or the equivalent) Waterman ink--ahh, worked beautifully. Such a beautifully flowing, medium to deep blue line, broad strokes and dynamic.

Love it.

Clipped it on some pages I had been working on, and headed to the office.

Arrived there, got to my desk, put the initial document in front of me, reached for the pen....

And nothing. Wasn't there. I had a lengthy phone call as soon as i walked in the door, so I thought I may have taken it off the papers during the call, and stuck it somewhere. Since my desk looks like one of those hoarder TV shows, it could be anywhere. Or I could have tucked it away in my desk drawer, as I often do when I see stray pens on my desk.

So I looked. And looked. And looked.

Meanwhile, I had not started the documents.

Figured I must have taken it off in the car.

I left the office, and went back to the car to search. And searched. And searched. And searched.

No luck. Grumbling, I headed back to the office, and got back in. Searched some more--and gave up.

Now figuring I had lost my pen, and thinking, "my wife isn't going to like it when I have to buy a replacement one--so I better not tell her," I finally started working. I'm not going to admit how long the procrastination was, but it was a bunch of wasted time for sure.

Irritated at myself, as the 6pm hour grew near, I decided to head home. Yes, I did the project, but didn't like it very much. Didn't have that enjoyment of writing with the instrument of my choice, since I knew I had to handwrite. And irritated at myself for losing a pen--not a terribly expensive pen, but about $100, and one I enjoy. So I reached up on my coat hook, put on my coat, and started heading out the door. I put my keys in my coat pocket to make it easier to open my car door when I arrived there, rather than reaching in my pants pocket, and.....

found my pen.

Yep, in my coat pocket. I remembered that I took it off the papers when I got out of the car, tucked it in my coat pocket so it would be ready when I arrived in the office, and hung up my coat when I got in, and didn't put it back on.

Wonder what pen I will write with tomorrow?

dan_bgblue
03-03-2017, 03:29 PM
I see a business opportunity here. A stick on micro transceiver for the pen and an app for your phone. Cal it find my pen