PDA

View Full Version : Good night: Cats win, Trump hits home run

CitizenBBN
02-28-2017, 11:38 PM
Haven't gotten to hear the whole speech yet, but the early reviews I've read all think he did an amazing job. Really Presidential, on point, hit the stuff we want to hit.

I want to see it, too late now, but very pleased with these returns. Hes' got a great product, Americans for the most part want to end the extreme leftism and just have some common sense policy. If he can keep it from going to extreme the other way and really sell it well, he'll have a winner.

dan_bgblue
03-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Here is the speech. I prefer to read it uninterrupted as opposed to watching it live. Terrific speech imo (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/28/trumps-remarks-to-congress.html)

suncat05
03-01-2017, 01:39 PM
I just read the speech. I did not watch it as I've been feeling bad the last few days and opted for sleep instead. But like dan_bgblue said, pretty powerful speech. Full of truth, and hope for the future. Trump is beginning to grow on me.

Whenever America has faced its darkest times in the past, the best person possible emerged from the darkness to lead America back into the light again. I can only hope and pray that our current President is, indeed, that person.

DanISSELisdaman
03-01-2017, 05:54 PM
I watched it, and it was by far the best speech I have heard him make, and I would go as far as to say it was as good as any speech I have heard given by any president. I agreed with every point he made. It was disgusting to see the Democrats sitting on their hands and not cheering for anything he said. I think they may have really shot themselves in the foot for being so full of hate last night. If he can accomplish half of what he wants to, he'll be one of the best president we have had.

CitizenBBN
03-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I watched it, and it was by far the best speech I have heard him make, and I would go as far as to say it was as good as any speech I have heard given by any president. I agreed with every point he made. It was disgusting to see the Democrats sitting on their hands and not cheering for anything he said. I think they may have really shot themselves in the foot for being so full of hate last night. If he can accomplish half of what he wants to, he'll be one of the best president we have had.

I agree they are digging their own grave with their blind adherence to the calls of the extreme left. Traditionally the opposition gives at least golf claps and sometimes real applause for points with which they agree or things that are beyond political disagreement, like taking care of veterans. Sitting on your hands when ANY President is calling for doing right by veterans is not a good look.

I was really hoping the other guy would win the DNC chair, but he's still vice-chair and it's clear the Sanders/Warren/BLM/Hollywood segment of the party has a stranglehold on things.

Their extremism has played very badly, as his their abandonment of fundamental things like THE ECONOMY. They don't give a crap about the economy or jobs, they are too busy worrying about social issues, green issues, and generally calling anyone who isn't one of them a racist, sexist homophobe.

Simply put, most Americans disagree with their agenda. They care about jobs, the economy, health care (and not just for the poor but for themselves and if they can afford it), national defense, etc. As long as the DNC is locked into priorities where it's OK to piss on American workers in the name of something as ethereal as "climate change" they'll struggle at best, be demolished is more likely, outside of about 15 major cities.

dan_bgblue
03-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Newt has a short article on Fox online. He was there and spent time watching the Dems in the room. He indicated that he saw lot of changes from many of them during the speech. He thinks that the President won over enough of them to begin the process of making potentially lasting change. Those that are willing to cross the isle on votes they support in spite of the leadership will be the survivors in the next election imo

CitizenBBN
03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Pelosi and Schumer have safe seats no matter what, so they can get away with it, but there are still a number of Dems in red areas that need to survive and can't win selling open borders and transgender rights. We'll see how they respond. The problem is it won't be many Senators, but I won't be surprised if Trump is successful in the next 2 years to see 2-3 of them fall and the GOP actually make gains in the mid-terms.

It normally goes the other way, but they have a lot more seats to defend, a number of them red. They are at risk esp. in states that Trump turned due to the blue collar vote the DNC national party has all but shunned. Telling union and lower income white voters in Ohio, Michigan etc. that they are shamed with "white privilege" probably isn't a good campaign slogan.

If Trump has a good two years, we could see gains in both Houses, and the Dems will absolutely lose their minds even more. Right now their only message is that if you don't agree with them you're a racist, sexist homophobe, really the same as Hillary's "deplorables" comment. As long as warren/Sanders/Waters/Hollywood keep them on that message i like the GOP's chances.

Darrell KSR
03-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Thank goodness for teleprompters. I wish he had run his whole campaign off of them ;).

UKHistory
03-01-2017, 08:58 PM
It was a well written speech. he needed a good one and he got it.

The Russian an links concern me as the drastic changes in the proposed budgets.

FDA testing is cumbersome. There are good reasons for,the testing. Can it get in the way? Playing the averages as so many drugs have serious side effects that can damage the human body, there are reasons to be slow.

And there are other reasonable logical points to refute trumps stance. Never the less it was a strong speech. On paper it sounds far more positive than inaugural address.

CitizenBBN
03-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Thank goodness for teleprompters. I wish he had run his whole campaign off of them ;).

I'm hoping that the huge positive response he got from this really reinforces to him that this is the right tactic to take on delivery.

IMO he already knew it, which is why he rated his message delivery a "C+" in an interview and then came out with this speech. He may get that as President the fire and brimstone campaign trail stuff isn't nearly as effective.

It's basically Reagan's 1980 plan, in many areas almost point by point. The problem is Reagan never got the spending cuts to balance it, and I doubt Trump does either when he wont touch 60% of the budget. We'll see how it goes. It will take some hellacious growth to make the Laffer curve produce enough revenue for the whole list, but it is possible.

DanISSELisdaman
03-01-2017, 11:53 PM
I agree they are digging their own grave with their blind adherence to the calls of the extreme left. Traditionally the opposition gives at least golf claps and sometimes real applause for points with which they agree or things that are beyond political disagreement, like taking care of veterans. Sitting on your hands when ANY President is calling for doing right by veterans is not a good look.

I was really hoping the other guy would win the DNC chair, but he's still vice-chair and it's clear the Sanders/Warren/BLM/Hollywood segment of the party has a stranglehold on things.

Their extremism has played very badly, as his their abandonment of fundamental things like THE ECONOMY. They don't give a crap about the economy or jobs, they are too busy worrying about social issues, green issues, and generally calling anyone who isn't one of them a racist, sexist homophobe.

Simply put, most Americans disagree with their agenda. They care about jobs, the economy, health care (and not just for the poor but for themselves and if they can afford it), national defense, etc. As long as the DNC is locked into priorities where it's OK to piss on American workers in the name of something as ethereal as "climate change" they'll struggle at best, be demolished is more likely, outside of about 15 major cities.

Exactly! I couldn't agree more.

DanISSELisdaman
03-02-2017, 12:02 AM
He is very experienced at negotiating, so I think he came out very hard lined on most things and set the stakes high to give himself room to deal during negotiations.

ukblue
03-02-2017, 03:11 AM
Citizen , the Perez guy that is the DNC chairman has as much baggage as Ellison had. He was Obamas man in the doj and over minority prosecutions. Or in his case lack of prosecution. He was the one that let the two black panthers that blocked a voting site that they refused people their right to vote.

Doc
03-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Now all he needs it a "twitterprompter"

badrose
03-02-2017, 08:38 AM
What he needs is a tactical bulldog to watch his back. He can't spend his own time doing that, needing to stay above the fray.