PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tip of the Week: Costco Premium Gasoline

Darrell KSR
02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
I lost my mind a couple of years ago and bought a car that only uses premium gasoline. I had changed primary office locations to one that is 2.4 miles from my house, so "regular" every day travel was more limited, and getting a gas guzzling, premium fuel-eating machine didn't seem too bad, especially with gas prices dropping.

Anyway, when gas is around $1.95 regular at the BP station where I buy it, premium is $2.699 there. I remember the days when the 89 octane would be 10 cents more than 87, and 93 octane would be 20 cents. Now it's 75 cents. Crazy!

I've done a lot of research, and stopped using non-Top Tier gasoline some time ago. I used to get whatever was cheapest. People said they got them from the same refineries. They do, but gasoline that is certified "Top Tier" has added detergents more than is required. Much more. So much so that it reduces carbon deposits by a factor of 19x on your engine.

I drive cars til they drop. And then some. So this is important to me.

Guess who is Top Tier certified? Yep, Costco gasoline.

Now guess what I'm paying for Costco gasoline, 93 octane, Top Tier certified? $2.079 a gallon. I am saving 62 cents a gallon on gas.

I filled up two weeks ago. Saved $12. Filled up one week ago. Saved $10. Filled up last week before heading out of town. Saved $11.

I have another out of town soccer game tonight. Even though I'm not driving much in town, I'm usually taking my car out of town. So it's adding up. I'll fill up later this week (out of town is only 60 miles away, 120 roundtrip), and will save another $10-12.

Costco membership, basic, is $55. That's 5 fillups.

And that's your pro tip of the week. You're welcome.

PedroDaGr8
02-27-2017, 01:06 PM
I lost my mind a couple of years ago and bought a car that only uses premium gasoline. I had changed primary office locations to one that is 2.4 miles from my house, so "regular" every day travel was more limited, and getting a gas guzzling, premium fuel-eating machine didn't seem too bad, especially with gas prices dropping.

Anyway, when gas is around $1.95 regular at the BP station where I buy it, premium is $2.699 there. I remember the days when the 89 octane would be 10 cents more than 87, and 93 octane would be 20 cents. Now it's 75 cents. Crazy!

I've done a lot of research, and stopped using non-Top Tier gasoline some time ago. I used to get whatever was cheapest. People said they got them from the same refineries. They do, but gasoline that is certified "Top Tier" has added detergents more than is required. Much more. So much so that it reduces carbon deposits by a factor of 19x on your engine.

I drive cars til they drop. And then some. So this is important to me.

Guess who is Top Tier certified? Yep, Costco gasoline.

Now guess what I'm paying for Costco gasoline, 93 octane, Top Tier certified? $2.079 a gallon. I am saving 62 cents a gallon on gas.

I filled up two weeks ago. Saved $12. Filled up one week ago. Saved $10. Filled up last week before heading out of town. Saved $11.

I have another out of town soccer game tonight. Even though I'm not driving much in town, I'm usually taking my car out of town. So it's adding up. I'll fill up later this week (out of town is only 60 miles away, 120 roundtrip), and will save another $10-12.

Costco membership, basic, is $55. That's 5 fillups.

And that's your pro tip of the week. You're welcome.

Yep, Costco gasoline in my area is around $0.30 cheaper for the basic and much more for the premium. It is one of many things that I purchase regularly from Costco because it is such a good deal.

bigsky
02-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Also, I buy from newer/newest gas stations. Much, much less garbage in the fuel. And Costcos are usually newer.

PedroDaGr8
02-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Also, I buy from newer/newest gas stations. Much, much less garbage in the fuel. And Costcos are usually newer.

Most Costco gas stations go through so much fuel that the gas in their tanks is usually less than a day old. According to a friend of mine that worked at a really busy Costco, they refilled the underground takes 3-4 times a day on the weekends, even more during the holidays.