PDA

View Full Version : CCW permit holders and records request

CGWildcat
02-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Can't wait to hear some comments on this story.....

http://eastcountytoday.net/sheriffs-office-releases-ccw-permit-holders-names-and-locations-to-abc7/

CitizenBBN
02-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Main thought: California politicaians, like any Leftist group, thinks rights only apply to things they care about, everyone else can get stuffed.

So if you wanted a list of people that leftists like no way, but a list of gun nuts? No problem, they don't deserve privacy or safety.

Kentucky thank goodness built it into our carry law that open records doesn't apply. Some liberal papers and others have tried, it failed. It's considered as a privacy issue, as it should be.

This is also why The NRA is pushing for permitless carry in states like Kentucky in this session. I don't even agree w it, I think it's fair to take a class so you know some basics on use of force, etc., but it's crap like this that pushes them to be so paranoid about government being able to identify gun owners. It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, and in some states that's the case.

KeithKSR
02-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Main thought: California politicaians, like any Leftist group, thinks rights only apply to things they care about, everyone else can get stuffed.

So if you wanted a list of people that leftists like no way, but a list of gun nuts? No problem, they don't deserve privacy or safety.

Kentucky thank goodness built it into our carry law that open records doesn't apply. Some liberal papers and others have tried, it failed. It's considered as a privacy issue, as it should be.

This is also why The NRA is pushing for permitless carry in states like Kentucky in this session. I don't even agree w it, I think it's fair to take a class so you know some basics on use of force, etc., but it's crap like this that pushes them to be so paranoid about government being able to identify gun owners. It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, and in some states that's the case.

I don't have my CCW permit, need to get it just to have it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

suncat05
02-27-2017, 08:34 AM
I am in the corner that agrees that the Constitution says I can own a gun, and once I own it I can do as I please with it. As long as I am not committing a crime, that is.
As far as Commiefornia and their idiot Sheriff's are concerned, the only thing that will ever correct that mess there would be 1) it falls into the ocean due to a massive earthquake, or 2) North Korea, China, or Russia nuke those areas into oblivion. And in that particular case, there will be much bigger issues to confront than who has a concealed carry permit.

ukblue
02-27-2017, 09:14 PM
New Hampshire governor just signed permitless carry law into effect.

CitizenBBN
02-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Kentucky is pushing it in the legislature.

Honestly I'm not 100% keen on it, but I get why the NRA and gun folks are paranoid when you see this kind of behavior. It's not paranoid if it's true.

In Kentucky's they'll still have the class and you can take it and that gets you reciprocity with the other states, or if you carry without a permit it's legal but there's no reciprocity.

IMO the class is very important. Yes it teaches gun safety and handling and shooting form, which is very good for new gun owners, but the legal section is HUGELY important IMO. It explains when the use of force is and isn't justified and IMO does a good (if boring) job of getting people to understand things like Castle doctrine in Kentucky (which is when you are justified in shooting someone within your home).

That's a big deal b/c in Kentucky if they're attempting to come in you can shoot, but you can't shoot someone trying to steal your car for example out of your driveway (b/c there's no threat of harm to you). You can't just shoot a trespasser either, there should be some level of threat to you. But in Kentucky a guy coming in your window by law constitutes that threat and you can shoot.

It varies by state and 99% of people coming into the class do not know the facts, and those are important things to know if you're going to use a gun responsibly.

I get the arguments for carry without a permit, but I also know some people who don't have a clue about basic notions of negligence and need some education.

suncat05
02-28-2017, 08:37 AM
I agree with CBBN, and I also agree about firearms owners taking that class. IMO, it should be mandatory.
Truthfully, I believe we should be teaching firearms safety in high schools and college, as electives. Give the student and their families the option. And if at that time they choose not to take the electives class, but change their mind later in life, then require them to take the class. It just makes good sense.

Darrell KSR
02-28-2017, 08:41 AM
I know the Constitution doesn't give a right to drive a car, but I almost equate carrying a CW with driving a car. I don't have a particular problem with requiring the issuance of a license or permit for either, provided it isn't a subterfuge to prevent the same. I'm not sure that's logically consistent, but it seems to equate in my mind.

ukblue
02-28-2017, 08:57 AM
We had a 4h class when I was in the 8th grade ims. The teacher, a retired marine corp gunny, taught the class. He had two of us at a time bring single shot .22 to school . The bolt and ammo was gave to the bus driver, retired army, and we took the rifles to his room. People would have some kind of attack if someone even suggested that now.

suncat05
02-28-2017, 09:16 AM
We had a 4h class when I was in the 8th grade ims. The teacher, a retired marine corp gunny, taught the class. He had two of us at a time bring single shot .22 to school . The bolt and ammo was gave to the bus driver, retired army, and we took the rifles to his room. People would have some kind of attack if someone even suggested that now.

That is the correct way to handle it though.
You cant't fire the rifle without the bolt. Or ammunition. Control the learning environment so there cannot be any accidents.
Firearms training is done safely in this country every day. And there is no good reason to believe that it should happen any other way but safely. Period.

CitizenBBN
02-28-2017, 05:57 PM

I carried a pocketknife from the time I ha pockets. I had my first 22 when I was 6. By 8 or 10 I went out shooting on my own all the time. ALL the time. So did all my friends. I was taught basic safety from an early age.

Today people lose their minds over it, and the world most assuredly isn't nearly as safe as it was then, so what does that tell us?

yes I'd love to see a gun elective in schools, go out to the range and learn how to properly handle a firearm. The main danger of them is from those who don't know what they are doing.

KeithKSR
02-28-2017, 07:37 PM
I went to school in Ohio through the 8th grade. In fifth grade everyone took a hunter's safety class, taught gun safety, game field dressing, etc. I can't recall when I started carrying a pocket knife, I know it was early. In high school the folding hunters were popular, (Buck 110s were the favorites) everyone carried one on belt.

Totally different world back then.