PDA

View Full Version : Rail Travel

MickintheHam
02-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Today was my last day of work. After working for over 50 years I've decided to do some things while I have a chance.

I plan to purchase a 30 day Amtrak rail pass with the intention of taking a cross country trip. Since I began telling friends and family about my plans, I have folks wanting me to meet me at destinations for concerts or ball games or take part of the trip with me. Does anyone have experience with these rail passes?

I plan to take the train for a day or two and then get off and take side trips. Right now I am planning on extended stays in San Antonio/Austin, LA, San Francisco/No Cal, Reno, Salt Lake, and Denver. For sure I want to take in a Giants game and Napa, the National Parks in Utah, and a concert at Red Rock Ampetheter in Denver. Anyone have ideas for the rail pass or any of these stops?

Darrell KSR
02-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Congratulations, Mick, and I hope you have a great time with that travel. It sounds fantastic.

Catfan73
02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
That's something I've always wanted to do and hopefully will some day.

catmanjack
02-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Mick congrats! Please post all your adventures sounds like a blast!

CitizenBBN
02-20-2017, 08:57 PM
First, congrats Mick. Enjoy.

Second, I can't wait to hear how it goes. I've always been intrigued by such a trip, but don't know anything about it to be able to help.

PedroDaGr8
02-20-2017, 11:42 PM
Congrats on the retirement. I have always wanted to travel cross country like this.

My advice is to try to make it down to San Diego if you can. I always liked it a lot more than LA.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
02-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Congrats on the retirement. I have always wanted to travel cross country like this.

My advice is to try to make it down to San Diego if you can. I always liked it a lot more than LA.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I agree with you on LA and SD. On the rail pass I have 30 days and can make 12 stops. So it is like a puzzle I need to fit together. Unfortunately I have to change trains in LA and that counts as a stop. So, I will spend one night there and hopefully can make it work out with a Dodgers' game.

KSRBEvans
02-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Congrats, Mick! One of the things on the bucket list for Mrs. BEvans and me is a big train trip like the one you're taking. I hope you have fun and bring us back a great trip report.

bigsky
02-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately the train dont come here no more. Does goto Whitefish and Havre-- pay attwntion to which direction goes thru Glacier in the daytime!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VSK18G55xP4

Doc
02-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Sounds like my buddy Jack Reacher........

Congrats Mick. Should be fun. Let me know it you make it to FL. I'll be sure to be out of state when you do :sign0157:

kingcat
02-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Congrats Mick..

Sounds like a great subject for an open thread if you have the time to do one here. Although, that may detract from your trip I dunno'

dan_bgblue
02-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Mick, I truly hope that retirement treats you well. It suits some folks and others not so much. Hoping you are one of those that it fits like a well worn glove.

I looked at the different routes Amtrack offers in the West, and I can honestly say you have a challenge ahead of you to map out your trip. Good luck with it, and I hope you have a great trip.

Padukacat
02-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Sounds fun give us a report of how it goes