PDA

View Full Version : Stand up desk

KSRdallen
02-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I recently added a Varidesk to my office so that I can choose to sit versus standing while at my computer. My original plan was to sit for an hour at a time and stand for an hour. However, I've found that with the plethora of meetings I'm in that I am almost always standing when I'm at my desk using that breakdown. Some days aren't as meeting filled, so being able to mix it up is good. I really like that I can have the flexibility.

I really started focusing on this when I got my Apple Watch. It tells me when I've been sitting for the first 50 minutes in the hour with a haptic tap. I found that I was sitting way too much during the day. This solution has helped me address it.

Anyone else using stand up desks?

Darrell KSR
02-20-2017, 06:32 PM
I'm not, but I have thought about it. And a treadmill desk, too. Let me know how it goes with the weeks as they go by.

By the way, another little credit to Pedro's Mi Fit Band 2. It has that inactivity notifier if you have been sitting that long and does the same thing as the Apple Watch. I use it myself. Great $20-30 watch/fitness band.

MickintheHam
02-20-2017, 06:55 PM
We have these desks at work. It seems to me most folks started very disciplined in balancing the sitting and standing. But over time most tend to sit and stand less frequently. These desks seem to work best with engineers and designers.

Darrell KSR
02-25-2017, 10:41 AM
We have these desks at work. It seems to me most folks started very disciplined in balancing the sitting and standing. But over time most tend to sit and stand less frequently. These desks seem to work best with engineers and designers.

When I was all fired up about getting one, I let it sit for about a month. And then I thought I'd probably do the same thing.

I ended up getting a laptop stand, where I could stand up and use it with a laptop, or put some papers to read and write while standing, etc. It sits in the corner of my office, rarely used now.

kingcat
02-25-2017, 12:44 PM
I hired a substitute drummer once who claimed he had been touring with Hank jr. He was an Englishman which for some reason added to his credibility to me so I never listened to a tape or delved deeply into his background.
Our, short notice, mufti family reunion, outdoor show started and he didn't sit down even when we told him to kick us off with a standard intro.. The guy said, I stand up when I play drums sir.

It was awful as was he.. And the following is rivaled only by a gig which turned out to be a huge "Shroom" party out in the wilderness 15 years ago. (A story for another day)

Anyway, we finally made him sit or not get paid. So he gets a little peeved and sticks a drumstick down the lead singers trousers from behind during a guitar solo. The singer screams like a little girl and jumps across the stage and finally onto the ground while the drummer stands and starts acting real feminine thinking he had found his entertainment niche.
Parents started running with their little ones in tow, great grandmothers dropping their food trays, and men heading for the kegs shocked at the direction the party was headed. of course, we took a break at that point to apologize, and try to explain to the guy who was going to write the check.

Somehow we managed to play one more set until both the lead singer and drummer were found with several other people nearly passed out by the hot tub.. The Benefactor of our little endeavor was slightly upset because they had both urinated (standing up) in the very nice hot tub.

Needless to say the drummer never got a dime and neither did the singer who we also let go.

100% true story which has little to do with the thread I guess

except....I guess what I mean is, keep your pencil sharp and your pen on point standing up at your computer desk, or you might not get paid. ;)

Darrell KSR
02-25-2017, 10:04 PM
lol. Loved that story.

Good Dr. dallen, you might want to reconsider, in light of those, umm, enlightening comments.

KentuckyWildcat
02-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Debated on buying one at work basically to demo for users. Thankfully I don't sit all day.

KSRdallen
02-26-2017, 07:04 PM
lol. Loved that story.

Good Dr. dallen, you might want to reconsider, in light of those, umm, enlightening comments.

LOL. I'll have to ponder these!

Darrell KSR
03-17-2017, 09:40 AM
A month later....still enjoying the stand-up desk, dallen?

By the way, I looked up the Varidesk on Amazon. One of the highest ratings I've ever seen. 4.8/5.0 with 1,148 reviews. With that many reviews, it's outstanding.

KSRdallen
03-17-2017, 10:29 AM
A month later....still enjoying the stand-up desk, dallen?

By the way, I looked up the Varidesk on Amazon. One of the highest ratings I've ever seen. 4.8/5.0 with 1,148 reviews. With that many reviews, it's outstanding.

D, it's been really good and I like it a lot. At the end of each day, I've felt better about how I am standing and sitting throughout the day. The Varidesk is outstanding as well. I go back and forth between standing and sitting usually about an hour at a time. It's very easy to raise and lower when I make the change.

So, it's all good. It was the right purchase for me.