PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day: how did you meet your significant other?

KSRBEvans
02-14-2017, 10:17 AM
In honor of the day (also called "Single Awareness Day" by my son :evilgrin0007: ), how did you meet your significant other?

Mrs. BEvans and I met at Governors Scholars Program, Murray State campus, 1985. We were working there as counselors. She didn't like me at first--somehow I got her to ignore her better judgment. :D

suncat05
02-14-2017, 12:00 PM
August 2003. I was working 3-11 @ the S.O. Got off work, went to the gym and worked out, then went home. Got online and was chatting Kentucky basketball with some of my friends in the Yahoo Jacksonville sports room. She was still in the Philippines then, and she had come into the room to play chess online with her nephew in Sydney, Australia.
I don't know why, but her screen name had me puzzled, so I checked her profile, which I seldom did because of all the psychotic women who are online everywhere, even back then. When I saw she was Asian, that was a plus. Cute as could be. But when I tried to talk with her, she shut me down. Cold. But I kept trying, and my persistence finally paid off about 3 hours later. And truthfully, I had some help, because she told her girlfriend that she was working with about me, and her girlfriend actually advocated for me. So she finally relented, and we ended up talking for about 3 hours.
The end of June 2004 I am on a plane to the Philippines, where several days later I proposed on a beautiful night on the beach in Subic Bay.
June 2005 I married the love of my life.

KSRBEvans
02-14-2017, 12:16 PM
^Great story!

BigBluePappy
02-14-2017, 12:39 PM
I went to visit my niece (she and I are approximately the same age) and I noticed she had a new next-door neighbor. A rather cute, but married next-door neighbor; had the most fetching set of feline eyes I had ever seen. We were introduced and grew to be good friends. Then life happens and we lost contact until my sister passed away suddenly. I am at the funeral home with a cousin of mine and I see her walking across the parking lot and I say to my cousin, if she is no longer married you are looking at the future Mrs. Ambrose. He just laughed and said something like yeah, right or something as equally charming. We reconnected, exchanged phone numbers and went our separate ways, again. This was in August and those eyes had not changed one bit. I worked up the nerve to call her, and she was busy at work, three times. I gave it one more shot, telling myself if she wasn't available this time, to just forget about it and move on with life. She was available!
We started "dating" in early September and were married November 1, a real long engagement.
In all actuality we knew each other for twelve years prior to dating.
My life has been incredible. I met my wife, the love of my life, and best friend all in one package and she has allowed me to be a part of her family ever since. We have two kids, I am the stepfather but I don't like that term, I simply am just Pap. Eight Grandkids and two great grandsons are just another part of the deal.
So to say I outkicked my coverage would be an understatement.
To Peg, thank you for making me the luckiest old Wildcat ever.
I love you,
Cliff

suncat05
02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Great story Pappy. If it's meant to be (meaning if it's God's will) then it will be.

I still find it amazing that 1) she even talked with me to begin with, 2) that I convinced her to even consider marrying me, and 3) that she hasn't murdered me in my sleep (because I "can be difficult to deal with") sometimes...........it took me almost 18 years from the end of marriage #1 until I found my beautiful, wonderful, fantastic, loving bride. My life has never been this good. The last almost 12 years of my life have been the best years of my life, without a doubt.

BigBluePappy
02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Great story Pappy. If it's meant to be (meaning if it's God's will) then it will be.

I still find it amazing that 1) she even talked with me to begin with, 2) that I convinced her to even consider marrying me, and 3) that she hasn't murdered me in my sleep (because I "can be difficult to deal with") sometimes...........it took me almost 18 years from the end of marriage #1 until I found my beautiful, wonderful, fantastic, loving bride. My life has never been this good. The last almost 12 years of my life have been the best years of my life, without a doubt.

Amen to that suncat, amen.
I loved reading your story.
I hope others on here will share as well; I am not that verbose, generally but get me started about Grammy and the young'uns, well...

Darrell KSR
02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Where else? Mardi Gras party, New Orleans.

Sounds more wild and wooly than it is. In truth, she worked as an occupational therapist with the wife of a law school friend of mine at "Big Charity" Hospital. The law school friend and his wife were throwing the Mardi Gras party and of course, both of us were invited. We met each other during the party, but didn't spend a ton of time together at that party. No "the Bachelor" type hookups, sorry to be boring.

Instead, I asked my friend about her later in school, and she asked her friend about me at work. A couple of weeks later I asked her out to go to the Barrister's Brawl, the annual end-of-year party for the law school students.

We had a blast at the party, and although I was clerking in New Orleans at the time, I was signed up for the Kentucky bar exam.

Something told me to see how the relationship would work out, so I went to Kentucky, took the bar exam, but I accepted a full-time job with the firm with whom I was clerking, and returned to New Orleans.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out that great. It really cut down on my dating, since I've never dated another girl and we've been married 30 years now. Might make it 31 if she doesn't read this.

suncat05
02-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Quick! Change that password!

PedroDaGr8
02-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Much like Suncat I met my current SO online. After my split and eventual divorce around 5yrs ago, I was doing the usual dating around and what not, not looking for anything other than a lot of fun and enjoying sunny San Diego. I had learned a lot from my split, such as what I really needed in a relationship and what I did not, what I needed to change about me and what I needed to be strong about, but honestly a relationship was the last thing on my mind. I had resumed talking to some of my online friends, most were scientists like me, located in various countries around the world. We had met in some science related chatrooms on a platformed called QQ. QQ is a Chinese chat program that I used back in grad school for sourcing parts for things I would sell. Anyways, I happened to be in a chatroom that several of my friends were a part of and I ended up talking with this girl from Vietnam. Our chat started drifting away from the topic of the room, we were talking about the beaches in San Diego, so we took it private. After a bit of talking, things were going awesome, I knowing that she is half way around the world (in Vietnam) mentioned "Don't let me keep you up too late, I know it is late there". She responded back, "You think too highly of yourself." So we keep chatting and it is like a ball rolling down hill, we just click. Talked for hours and hours. We have talked pretty much every single day sense. She came to visit a couple years ago, and has been back several times since. I have visited her side of the world twice now and honestly love it over there. She even came to live with me for four months at the end of 2015. Last time I was there, we got engaged and slowly began the process of the K1 visa (I truly hate USCIS, with a bloody passion). As for her, I have converted her into a huge BBN Basketball fan. She's actually a bigger sports fan than me and can sit down and watch college basketball all day long, no matter the teams. She can cook better than anyone I have ever met and loves to cook/bake. We both are huge craft beer fans, shes pushing me to brew at home (she wants to learn and wants to do it too). We both love museums when we travel, etc. Honestly, though life together is grand and I am a blessed man. She's truly a partner and my best friend.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should mention I am 6' 5" and around 210-220, she is 5' 1" 94 lbs. So that always makes for an interesting sight.

suncat05
02-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Pedro, most Asian women are just cooler than cool. Most. Not all, but most.
And you are right about dealing with the USCIS. Don't know if you knew this or not, but if you have to use the 800-number for some reason, you'll end up talking with somebody that IS NOT in California. I found that out the hard way after missing our appointment because of Hurricane Wilma. They're in another part of the country, DO NOT CARE about whatever it is you need help with, and they will lie to you just to get rid of you Just a heads up, my man.. On the plus side of that situation though, don't hesitate to contact your local U.S. Congressman or U.S. Senator. That's what I ended up having to do. Once my Congressman's office became involved things started happening quickly. So there is that avenue, if the need arises.

KentuckyWildcat
02-15-2017, 10:15 AM
2002 at a local softball tournament. A mutual friend lied to both of us to get us together, but I guess it worked.

truecatsfan
02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
In high school, been married 23 years now.

Catfan73
02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Met my wife in a pub in Lexington that I don't believe is there anymore. I used to stop in once or twice a week to grab a burger and one night she was there with a couple of friends. I mostly tried to ignore her but she gave me her phone number. Just gave it to me; I didn't ask. I think I waited a couple of days to call her but had to leave a message with her roommate. Tried again after a couple of days, same thing. I had a three-attempt rule and was on the last try when I finally got ahold of her and the rest is history. We've been married for almost 19 years now but we've been together for about 28.