PDA

View Full Version : car stereo question

Doc
02-12-2017, 04:00 PM
I asked over on a "Jeep forum" and get all kinds of answer... so I figured I'd ask here and maybe somebody would know

Just purchased a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited sport. The OEM radio is a the base model without UCONNECT (their BLUETOOTH) or Sirius. We were good with that until we discovered the Auxiliary jack was faulty. The connection kicks in and out, you have to "giggle" the cord, etc..... The Aux input is in the unit itself, not in the dash or console where it can be swapped out. We want to keep the OEM radio so are looking to swap out with another JEEP radio however we are curious as to what our options are. I can find plenty of OEM's on line but some have UCONNECT and Sirius. I'd be happy with both however I'm not looking to replace wiring harnesses, brackets, buy accessories for Sirius, microphones for the UCONNECT, etc.....

If I purchase a EOM radio with UCONNECT and SIRIUS, will it be a simple remove the old radio and plug the new one in? IE Do all the Wranglers come prewired for all OEM radio models?
Will the steering wheel controls work on the new radio if it has UCONNECT and SIRIUS, or would I need extra "kits" as with aftermarket radios, even if I don't use the UCONNECT or SIRIUS?
Are the connectors on the back of the units all the same?
Is the UCONNECT microphone in the unit or already in the vehicle, or do I need to have a separate microphone installed as well?
Would a OEM Sirius unit have a separate vehicle tuner/antenna (or is the antenna already built in the vehicle), or would that need to be purchased in addition, as when you put in an aftermarket one?

I do realize I have to have the radio decoded at a jeep dealership.

kingcat
02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
I think you'd likely have to install a universal fit wiring harness (around twenty bucks) and adjust the wiring to fit your ride with any system not vehicle specific. The adapter itself is universal but which wire connects to where could vary.
I think there should be a diagram on the unit somewhere (or maybe the service manual) that shows the wiring bus, color coded
if you install the same system from another Wrangler of course, things should just snap together. Not sure on the peripherals like mic, etc..

Otherwise, that's likely something I'd take to a stereo shop and get done. they're pretty reasonable for the most ppart and deal with this stuff every day. Much more knowledgeable than even a dealership service dept...and more trustworthy in all likelyhood

KeithKSR
02-14-2017, 06:00 PM
I would think all wiring harnesses are the same. Most cars I have seen have wiring harnesses compatible with lots of options.

KeithKSR
02-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Lots of different OEM stereos here for 2015 Jeeps. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=oem+jeep+radio&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xoem+jeep+ radio+2015.TRS1&_nkw=oem+jeep+radio+2015&_sacat=0