PDA

View Full Version : Okay computer people, I need some advice........

suncat05
02-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Here's the situation.......I have a Gateway desk top P/C, with Windows Vista. But every day for the last couple of weeks I have been receiving a message in a pop-up in the lower right hand corner from Microsoft saying that this version of Microsoft Security Essentials is about to expire. Now, I obviously am NOT a computer guy, as I'm asking for some guidance here from any of you computer tech types that inhabit these halls here.
When I go into the pop-up box I get these notices that the support for this program is about to expire, BUT........it also shows that I just need to run a scan.
I use PC-Matic as my virus/threat protection. I have Windows Vista on this computer (that's what it came with from Windows).

What do I need to do? My computer seems to be running fine, I have it set up to run security scans once a week during low use hours. I am really confused about what I need to do, as my computer seems to be running fine. Anyone?

And thanks in advance!

BigBluePappy
02-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Not a Computer guy by any stretch of the imagination but Windows Vista is getting ready to be not supported by Microsoft any more. Doesn't mean it will stop working immediately but they will no longer be issuing knowledge base updates, forcing you to go to a newer version of Windows.

suncat05
02-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Okay Pappy, so what do I do? Download another version of Windows, like Windows 10?

KentuckyWildcat
02-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Okay Pappy, so what do I do? Download another version of Windows, like Windows 10?
Pretty much, or ride it out as is, or buy a new PC.

I personally don't believe in spending money on a machine with Vista on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
02-02-2017, 08:16 PM
You could use an antivirus that does support Windows Vista.
I use Webroot for Vista (PC) and Windows 7 (Laptop) and even Grammy uses it for her Tablet.
Others may have more suggestions.

KentuckyWildcat
02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Everyone is going to stop supporting Vista sooner than later. So I would update everything you can. Find a free antivirus (I've never used PC-Matic) and use it until you start having problems.

Any repairs on a machine that age, unless done yourself, is going to be near the cost of a lower end machine at Walmart or some place. If you decide to upgrade the OS, you need to make sure your hardware is compatible.

PedroDaGr8
02-04-2017, 11:49 AM
If you want to upgrade to Windows 10, it can still be done for free via Microsoft.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
02-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Did they extend that Pedro?

PedroDaGr8
02-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Did they extend that Pedro?

You can get it via Windows Accessibility

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

suncat05
02-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Well, fudge! I just tried to load Windows 10 and a box popped up that said my computer isn't compatible with it. :banghead:

badrose
02-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Well, fudge! I just tried to load Windows 10 and a box popped up that said my computer isn't compatible with it. :banghead:

Count your blessings. Windows 10 sucks unless you get the original and can prevent the update.