PDA

View Full Version : Calories and the body getting used to it/ramping up theories?

Darrell KSR
02-02-2017, 02:33 PM
I remember a long time ago we had a discussion here about dieting. The answer is probably just a quick search away, but i'm going to start a new thread on it.

As I recall, however, there was a pretty good discussion about dieting and how the body will eventually adapt to a lower calorie intake for its maintenance. To combat that, the theory went, you needed to occasionally "ramp up" the calories to improve your metabolism again.

Do I have the basics right?

2nd question--IIRC, when I started it a few years ago, it was recommended to me to do this once a week--but when I got started, they advised me to go, oh, 3 weeks or so without doing it first.

Is that semi-accurate as well?

Today is the end of 3 weeks of dieting where 20 days I've been under 1500 calories, with most between 1200-1400. One day I had 1580 calories, the only day over 1500.

* Is it time to "ramp up?"

* By "ramping up," what would you suggest--something like 2200 calories, give or take?

* Is there anything specific I ought to do when ramping up? Specific types of food? Should I be more active that day, exercise for sure, etc.?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I did some preliminary research, and got some mixed responses, so I'll trust the groupthink here and the experience you all have instead.