PDA

View Full Version : Moving Time Ramble

PedroDaGr8
01-26-2017, 09:27 PM
I have often said, you never know how much crap you have until you have to put it in boxes. I have spent the past week sorting through my stuff and throwing away or donating to charity around 1/3 of my possessions. This is even after I've been keeping a watchful eye on what I purchase to try to limit this. Thankfully the movers are done and packed, my car is on the flatbed and my flight leaves tomorrow. As this chapter in my life, in this horrible horrible racist city that is Danville, VA comes to a close, I have to say I have no regrets on my decision to leave. A stark contrast to previous departures from Lexington and San Diego. I will miss the South, southern manners and being close to family, but I l will not miss this city one bit. Tomorrow night I'll be at the next stop in my career journey, adding +1 to BBN in Seattle, WA.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2017, 09:32 PM
I visited Seattle once, really liked it. That said I was just visiting and I was right downtown, which is my element. Not sure how I'd do as the only anti-government person there, I imagine I'd struggle to find a peer group, but the restaurants and bars and such were great.

I did stay a few days over on the other side of the Sound, that was fine but not nearly as cool as downtown. We were right by the market, it was fun.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2017, 09:37 PM
And yes, it takes a lot longer than anyone thinks to clean things out. We do it for a living, cleaning out estates and downsizes all the time, and there's always a lot more than people think.

At least you don't have to go through the other stuff where I have to explain to people their chipped old Smucker's jam jar isn't worth $200. :)

PedroDaGr8
01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
I visited Seattle once, really liked it. That said I was just visiting and I was right downtown, which is my element. Not sure how I'd do as the only anti-government person there, I imagine I'd struggle to find a peer group, but the restaurants and bars and such were great.

I did stay a few days over on the other side of the Sound, that was fine but not nearly as cool as downtown. We were right by the market, it was fun.
One of my closest friends (a guy I have literally known since 3rd grade) is in your position. He is a hardcore conservative, loving it here for almost 10yrs. He said that he basically bans political discussion from any get together he has at his house. He did say that being in the alternate environment had softened his idealism around the edges and reaffirmed it in others. In his words "For those that honestly care about making things better, you appreciate the other side and their views. You modify your own views to include the areas where their ideas make sense, while also rejecting the areas where their ideas are ridiculous".

And yes, it takes a lot longer than anyone thinks to clean things out. We do it for a living, cleaning out estates and downsizes all the time, and there's always a lot more than people think.

At least you don't have to go through the other stuff where I have to explain to people their chipped old Smucker's jam jar isn't worth $200. :)
I do not envy your job on that, other than the fact that I'm sure you have access to some really dope Mid-century modern furniture. I'm a bit of a whore for that era or furniture, just can't afford it. I would love to have an Eames Lounger, but I can't afford the $3k+ that one of those would go for. Going back to your comment, it is amazing the value people assign to random crap.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

bigsky
01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Were you drivin I would be inviting you to stop here for the, well, whatever since it's on the way. . Since you're flyin I guess you could wave. Seattle's a big city and it overwhelms this small town Montana guy. Seattle area town #2 .

http://nypost.com/2016/09/14/the-15-best-places-to-live-in-the-us/

PedroDaGr8
01-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Were you drivin I would be inviting you to stop here for the, well, whatever since it's on the way. . Since you're flyin I guess you could wave. Seattle's a big city and it overwhelms this small town Montana guy. Seattle area town #2 .

http://nypost.com/2016/09/14/the-15-best-places-to-live-in-the-us/
I plan to make it to Montana to visit in the next year or so, while I'm on that side of the US. I have heard nothing but good things about it. If I end up near Bozeman I'll drop you a line and we'll meet up for sure.

Oddly enough, my mom's hairdresser and his husband just purchased a bunch of land just outside of Bozeman. They absolutely love it there and intend to make that their retirement location. They spend around two months of the year there and have nothing but great things to say about both the people and the location.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
01-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Keep your eyes on the rumbling mountains to the east

CitizenBBN
01-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Keep your eyes on the rumbling mountains to the east

When the Yellowstone Caldera goes he may actually be better off for it depending on the wind currents.