PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about straws

Darrell KSR
01-24-2017, 11:35 PM
I've recently begun drinking a concoction of a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. I figure it won't hurt me; might help some things--if nothing else, it's making me drink a glass of water quickly 2-3 times a day, which I know is good for me.

The ACV is very acidic, of course. "They" say you should drink it with a straw to minimize teeth damage. Also don't brush your teeth for 30 minutes afterward, try to rinse your teeth (I usually take my 30oz Yeti filled with ice water, and swish around some water in my mouth around my teeth and swallow), etc.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed--I drink the glass a lot faster with the straw than without the straw. I did not expect that. I don't know what the physics are, but apparently my sip-gulp technique of drinking without a straw just doesn't consume as large of a quantity of liquid as my suck through the straw technique.

I want to drink more water. The kids got me a 30oz Yeti for Father's Day, and I fill it with ice and drink water in it, and sometimes do better than others at refilling, etc., so I know I'm drinking water, but I think I'm going to try with straws.

I bought some metal straws with a cleaning brush tonight from Amazon. I'm not sure how I'll feel with the steel straws. Any of you use these? I bought a set of 4 that were cheap ($7.99, I think), with 1200+ reviews, 4.8/5, so evidently some like it. I really didn't think I would. I may not anyway, but I want to give them a try. Will they be better or worse than the disposable plastic straws?

I ONLY drink water out of my Yeti; nothing else, so I'm not as concerned about some sticky, gooey sugary concoction in it. Just water.

Does this win the award for most boring thread ever? :)

KSRBEvans
01-25-2017, 07:15 AM
I bought metal straws for Mrs. BEvans last year on Amazon and she really likes them. I've used them once or twice and thought they were fine--no big opinion one way or the other. I like that they're reusable and the cleaning brush does a good job.

PedroDaGr8
01-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Does this win the award for most boring thread ever? :)

Yes. :tongue08:

For a metal straw, I think the only worry would be drinking heavily acidic drinks out of them (fruit juices, sodas, that weird vinegar stuff you are drinking, etc.). You would be leaching some of the metals out into your drink, which isn't ideal.

KSRBEvans
01-25-2017, 08:59 AM
The ones (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146HSJ5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I got for the Missus were stainless steel--I don't know if that helps with leeching or not.

It might explain why she's been a little loopy lately.... :D

Darrell KSR
01-25-2017, 09:35 AM
The ones (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146HSJ5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I got for the Missus were stainless steel--I don't know if that helps with leeching or not.

lol.

I suspect they may all get them from a similar source, or from a limited supply of suppliers, but I got these (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019YJT918/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) mainly because I chickened out, and got the most popular, and it said it fit the 30oz Yeti tumbler.

blueboss
01-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Doesn't steel when contacted with acid make hydrogen gas? I guess you need to stay away from open flames when drinking the vinegar voo doo brew with a metal straw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
01-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Add a teaspoon of honey. My father had trouble with his hip muscles for several years when he was in his late forties. He couldn't walk more than about 100 feet and they would give out on him.

He acquired a medical book extolling the virtues of a honey, apple cider vinegar, and water mixture once a day to alleviate muscle problems. After a month of drinking it he was able to walk like he always did. He swore by it for several years and then kind of forgot about it..but I witnessed his rapid physical improvements first hand

Very good for the heart, brain, liver, and other tissues that have a tendency to harden with age.

Darrell KSR
01-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Add a teaspoon of honey. My father had trouble with his hip muscles for several years when he was in his late forties. He couldn't walk more than about 100 feet and they would give out on him.

He acquired a medical book extolling the virtues of a honey, apple cider vinegar, and water mixture once a day to alleviate muscle problems. After a month of drinking it he was able to walk like he always did. He swore by it for several years and then kind of forgot about it..but I witnessed his rapid physical improvements first hand

Very good for the heart, brain, liver, and other tissues that have a tendency to harden with age.
I did add a small squirt of honey to sweeten it a couple of times, but generally have been drinking it straight, diluted in water alone. It doesn't taste good that way, and the honey made it a little more palatable, but it's still not great. Honey isn't bad calorie-wise, especially at that small amount, so I guess I will think about continuing to include it.

Catfan73
01-26-2017, 11:22 AM
This thread is the last straw.

The straw that broke the camel's back.

You guys are grasping at straws here.