PDA

View Full Version : DNC convention platform

jazyd
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
imo, by putting the gay marriage into their platform, and by saying they want to get rid of the marriage act signed by Clinton, I think it really will hurt them once the curtains are pulled.
Played golf today with one of my regulars who often votes democrat and said because of that platform he will never vote democart again. Also had dinner last night and the owner and I talked about this, he talked to a black preacher north of here by 20 miles who is telling his congregation to vote GOP, and supposedly he and others are talking to black preachers all over the south who are against Obama now because of the gay marriage deal.
Obama and Biden are going to have to defend this in every town they go into, it will hurt them with seniors, catholics, baptists for sure, Muslims, and I think the spanish vote.
imo they went to far out on the limb.

Doc
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
No disrespect towards you Skip but anybody who actually bases their vote on "gay marriage" is missing the boat for this election. There are so many more important issues (that isn't to suggest gay marriage isn't important to some) than this. This is nothing more than pandering to yet another group. Next up will be senior citizens.

Catonahottinroof
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM
No disrespect towards you Skip but anybody who actually bases their vote on "gay marriage" is missing the boat for this election. There are so many more important issues (that isn't to suggest gay marriage isn't important to some) than this. This is nothing more than pandering to yet another group. Next up will be senior citizens.

I agree about paying attention, but there are several single issue voters out there. Many a democrat changed sides over the abortion issue. I'm not sure how much this hurts their cause in ths election. If anything some Libertarian mind sets may sway democratic due to this as its seen as a personal freedom issue; however, most libertarians, including myself are on the verge of a major coronary due to the nations debt load.

jazyd
08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
doc, I don't think the one issue is all my friend or others are looking at, but it is the tipping of the iceberg for them, the last straw so to speak. I do think that one issue will do that to many people, they just will not support any party that not only supports that issue but wants to push it on everyone whether we agree or not.

Doc
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree about paying attention, but there are several single issue voters out there. Many a democrat changed sides over the abortion issue. I'm not sure how much this hurts their cause in ths election. If anything some Libertarian mind sets may sway democratic due to this as its seen as a personal freedom issue; however, most libertarians, including myself are on the verge of a major coronary due to the nations debt load.

I've never understood the "single issue" voter. I'm pro-choice and pro-gun regulation (not banning) which are both liberal points however those not big enough issues that I'd use them as a litmus test. To me having the gov't out of my life is important, and hence the basis for my pro-choice and gay marriage stance. I'll admit the gun regulation point of view is a bit hypocritical but IMO that particular issue has more to do with safety of others.

badrose
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
The Republican party loses more ground over social issues than they gain. The percentage of folks who are fiscally conservative approaches 60% Further more, things like abortion and homosexuality are matters of the heart and really hard to enforce should a law exist to do so. Christianity was never meant to legislate morality but persuade through being loving neighbors. Imagine the impact on the world of politics if the GOP adopted that stance.

natedogstx
08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
The Republican party loses more ground over social issues than they gain. The percentage of folks who are fiscally conservative approaches 60% Further more, things like abortion and homosexuality are matters of the heart and really hard to enforce should a law exist to do so. Christianity was never meant to legislate morality but persuade through being loving neighbors. Imagine the impact on the world of politics if the GOP adopted that stance.

what happened to the barry goldwater republicans? us libertarians are pretty frustrated.

badrose
08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
what happened to the barry goldwater republicans? us libertarians are pretty frustrated.

Abortion was legal yet and most homosexuals were still in the closet, at least that we know of. My personal feelings are well known here but how it relates to public policy has changed dramatically. The legislative approach is counterproductive in regard to affecting change, steeling the resolve of those who desire to have things continue as they are. To top it all off we pay for every election cycle because it keeps fiscally liberal politicians in the game, often resulting in more taxes and weaker economy.