PDA

View Full Version : So....these newfangled doctor offices

Darrell KSR
01-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Had my first trip to the doctor in 15 years, at least, yesterday, for an "annual" exam. That's what we called it, rather than one every two decades.

Really impressed with this setup. I have a doctor's portal with my information on it I can look up at any time. Had lab work done yesterday (PSAs, cholesterol lipids, etc.) and they were all available online for me this morning, along with a personal note from my doctor.

Check-in was online, wait was almost non-existent.

They have a 24/7 online MD program where I can input my symptoms, and get access to prescriptions, etc. for basic stuff even after hours. They have a couple of nurse practitioners that are with them where if I have a basic sinus infection, or the crud or whatever, I can go in before hours without an appointment and see them.

I'm really kinda happy I went now. The idea that I could actually look at my lab results on my phone was mind-boggling to me. I know I'm a dinosaur, but it was pretty darn cool.

Oh--sad to say, the doctor said I was healthy as a horse, but heavy as one, too. Said he'd like to see me lose 30 pounds. But heart was good, lungs, thyroid, cholesterol, PSAs, blood pressure, you name it, all good. He asked me when I last got a tetanus shot, and I told him it was before Al Gore invented the internet, so I got one of those, too.

I talked to him about my weight--and like Pedrodagr8, Mick, and others told me here--I've just reached the age where my metabolism has slowed down, and no matter how much I exercise, the weight won't come off unless I change my eating habits. He suggested the 1500 calories a day would work for me, and that was exactly what my Fitbit app had for me as well under my weight loss plan, or a -750 maintenance with exercise (I don't trust the Fitbit app *at all* with their calculations on what they think my exercise burns, though, as I think they grossly overstate it).

One more task, and it's not what I want to do, but you know what's coming. The gastroenterologist office called today, referred to by the doctor, to schedule that "over 50" colonoscopy I have avoided. I did not take the call today, but I'll schedule it.

Glowing report, except I'm too heavy. I'll take it.

KSRBEvans
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who's way, way overdue for a regular doctor visit. But now you've gone, so I guess I'm out of excuses. :D

Doc
01-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Had my first trip to the doctor in 15 years, at least, yesterday, for an "annual" exam. That's what we called it, rather than one every two decades.

Really impressed with this setup. I have a doctor's portal with my information on it I can look up at any time. Had lab work done yesterday (PSAs, cholesterol lipids, etc.) and they were all available online for me this morning, along with a personal note from my doctor.

Check-in was online, wait was almost non-existent.

They have a 24/7 online MD program where I can input my symptoms, and get access to prescriptions, etc. for basic stuff even after hours. They have a couple of nurse practitioners that are with them where if I have a basic sinus infection, or the crud or whatever, I can go in before hours without an appointment and see them.

I'm really kinda happy I went now. The idea that I could actually look at my lab results on my phone was mind-boggling to me. I know I'm a dinosaur, but it was pretty darn cool.

Oh--sad to say, the doctor said I was healthy as a horse, but heavy as one, too. Said he'd like to see me lose 30 pounds. But heart was good, lungs, thyroid, cholesterol, PSAs, blood pressure, you name it, all good. He asked me when I last got a tetanus shot, and I told him it was before Al Gore invented the internet, so I got one of those, too.

I talked to him about my weight--and like Pedrodagr8, Mick, and others told me here--I've just reached the age where my metabolism has slowed down, and no matter how much I exercise, the weight won't come off unless I change my eating habits. He suggested the 1500 calories a day would work for me, and that was exactly what my Fitbit app had for me as well under my weight loss plan, or a -750 maintenance with exercise (I don't trust the Fitbit app *at all* with their calculations on what they think my exercise burns, though, as I think they grossly overstate it).

One more task, and it's not what I want to do, but you know what's coming. The gastroenterologist office called today, referred to by the doctor, to schedule that "over 50" colonoscopy I have avoided. I did not take the call today, but I'll schedule it.

Glowing report, except I'm too heavy. I'll take it.

I'm in the same boat. Can't wait for the pre-scope enema. Had to do one for the prostate biopsy, then do it again when they had to repeat it. Boy, that was fun. I found the toy soldier I swallowed when I was 6 years old. Who would have though one of those plastic men could live in your GI tract for 40 plus years!

Darrell KSR
01-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Lol Doc. You make me laugh and cringe at the same time.

BEvans, just go. Had a bunch of friends that got on me, and with them added to my wife's nagg...err, encouraging, it was easier just to go and get it over with than to avoid.

Catfan73
01-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Don't sweat the colonoscopy Darrell, best nap you'll ever have. Just don't eat much the day before and have lots of Gatorade (not red) on hand to wash down the prep with.

blueboss
01-19-2017, 05:04 PM
The first one is the hardest. I procrastinated forever too, but for about the last 15 years I do go annually. I actually look forward to my annual physical for the piece of mind aspect...so far so good.

The colonoscopy isn't that big of deal. Obviously it's the prep that sucks, the procedure is a breeze considering your knocked out for the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
01-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Darrell, schedule your colonoscopy on a day when you can have the first appointment. The ugly part is the day before and you don't want it to grow into the following day.....not one extra moment.

Darrell KSR
01-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Good advice. I forgot to get back with them this week. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll call them Monday.

MickintheHam
01-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Good advice. I forgot to get back with them this week. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll call them Monday.

If by chance you are using the doctor at UAB Highlands for your colonoscopy, I CAN't say enough good things about him. You won't know anything about the procedure. Your driver will get a full report and bring you up to speed later.

Congrats on getting that physical. You will thank yourself one hundred times over.

Darrell KSR
01-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Mick, I'll be using Shallcross at St. Vincent's One Nineteen. He did my wife's colonoscopy, and is connected with the 119 group I'm now using. Plus it's very close to where I live. I met him, and like him. I'm just not a fan of what he'll be doing to me :).