PDA

View Full Version : Car welcome message

elicat
11-24-2012, 09:14 PM
So I bought a car today, a black Honda Civic LX Coupe. It borders on a mid-life crisis car, even though that's not why I got it. (If I decide I need one of those, it's going to be an early 70s Benz roadster.)

It has a customizable welcome message. The default "Welcome" seems a bit lame, since it can be personalized. "Let's go, dammit" has been suggested, and has some appeal, but I'm looking for other ideas.

Any suggestions?

BigBluePappy
11-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Let's do this.

Seems appropriate and should not offend those of a more sensitive nature.

Oh, if you really go through a mid-life thing, get a 300 Convertible; it can be your Mid-Life Chrysler.:4chsmu1:

CGWildcat
11-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Mitch Barnhart still sucks..........Joker is a great guy..........:671: OK seriously....Let's have fun today..........Let these horses run......Where the women at.....OK i'll stop there.

blueboss
11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Locked and Loaded

Doc
11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
I'd go with "GO CATS!" or something along those lines

Darrell KSR
11-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd go with "GO CATS!" or something along those lines

I like it. Go Cats, Go Big Blue, something like that.

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Something in the HAL 9000 voice. Maybe Jerry Reed with "just put that hammer down and give it hell!" from Eastbound and Down.

Maybe KITT from Knight Rider? "I am the Knight Industries Three Thousand. You may call me "K.I.T.T.""

BigBlueBrock
11-26-2012, 02:15 AM
My god, in what world would a Honda anything qualify as a mid-life crisis car? :sCo_huhsign:

Doc
11-26-2012, 10:56 AM
My god, in what world would a Honda anything qualify as a mid-life crisis car? :sCo_huhsign:

I've seen a few that were very very nice. Depends on how its equipped out. Some of those "rice burners" are pretty cool cars.

Doc
11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
this one is too large to put in the post so I'll link it

HERE (http://flashycarpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/honda_civic_si_custom_hd_wallpapers-nice-tuning.jpg)

or

HERE (http://flashycarpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/honda-civic-si-custom-hd-wallpapers-type-r-custom-yellow.jpg)

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm an American Muscle guy, but some of the rice burners can haul butt.

BigBlueBrock
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm an American Muscle guy, but some of the rice burners can haul butt.

Turbocharged cars have a lot of play in the computer. You can bump up output quite a bit with a simple chip tune. I've got about $1700 in my Mazdaspeed3 (cat-back exhaust, short-ram air intake, and an ECU tuner) and she's probably making a bit over 300 hp at the flywheel. I need to get it on a dyno and get official numbers, but I can tell you she's fast.

Btw, Doc posted some "neat" cars (I wouldn't be caught dead in any of them), but none of those are cars you can go to the dealer and buy.

dan_bgblue
11-26-2012, 05:27 PM
BBB if you happen to be in Richmond at a stop light, you look over and see a red Trans Am with a super chicken on the hood, just smile and nod. 1,100 horse power at the rear wheels, and fully street legal. That is a muscle car.:backtotopic:

BigBlueBrock
11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
1100 horsepower!? Man, that's gotta have some kind of beefy rear end!

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
BBB if you happen to be in Richmond at a stop light, you look over and see a red Trans Am with a super chicken on the hood, just smile and nod. 1,100 horse power at the rear wheels, and fully street legal. That is a muscle car.:backtotopic:

I no longer like you. :tongue08:

BBB -- When it falls off warranty I will maybe get it tuned. Even the moderate ones will add 30 hp to the wheels. Can go crazy and tune it for racing fuel 100 octane. lol. Some of the cat backs will add 20, CAI another 10. My dealer is OK w the CAI and catback but the tune would break the warranty.

With unlimited funds of course you can just go buy whatever power you want, but my lottery tickets aren't doing so good.

Doc
11-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Turbocharged cars have a lot of play in the computer. You can bump up output quite a bit with a simple chip tune. I've got about $1700 in my Mazdaspeed3 (cat-back exhaust, short-ram air intake, and an ECU tuner) and she's probably making a bit over 300 hp at the flywheel. I need to get it on a dyno and get official numbers, but I can tell you she's fast.

Btw, Doc posted some "neat" cars (I wouldn't be caught dead in any of them), but none of those are cars you can go to the dealer and buy.

He didn't say he bought it from a dealer. Still, you can get some pretty beefed up vehicles off the lot. Best bang for the buck would be this one, off the lot (My brother just sold one recently, new off the lot from a dealer)

BigBluePappy
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM

That is sick.
What year model and what mods have you done?
My cousin Wil would tear me a new one for not finding out; the original Poncho fan.

BigBlueBrock
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I no longer like you. :tongue08:

BBB -- When it falls off warranty I will maybe get it tuned. Even the moderate ones will add 30 hp to the wheels. Can go crazy and tune it for racing fuel 100 octane. lol. Some of the cat backs will add 20, CAI another 10. My dealer is OK w the CAI and catback but the tune would break the warranty.

With unlimited funds of course you can just go buy whatever power you want, but my lottery tickets aren't doing so good.

I got Cobb's Accessport Tuner for my Speed3. With just an intake, it's a 9% hp and 14% torque boost at the wheels. Once I can upgrade the HPFP internals, I can do a stage 2 tune which is a 33% hp and 40% torque bump. Might need to invest in some underbody and strut braces after that, though.

Working on my car myself has been one of the greatest personal joys of owning it.

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Brock I'd really like to work on mine.

Doc, I love your taste. 5 ltr GT, Boss, GT500, all excellent choices.

blueboss
11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Something in the HAL 9000 voice. Maybe Jerry Reed with "just put that hammer down and give it hell!" from Eastbound and Down.

Maybe KITT from Knight Rider? "I am the Knight Industries Three Thousand. You may call me "K.I.T.T.""

Hal open the pod bay door. or you could go with the fading daisy -daisy ...

dan_bgblue
11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Pappy it belongs to a friend of mine. I know a little about it like it burning E-85 for the octane boost, 2 electric fuel pumps, increasing the injector sizes, oh yeah I think it is one of the LS-2 series motors out of a Vette. Has a turbocharger and runs the boost air thru a water inner cooler. I think the turbo is a 4" intake and 3" outlet. Motor was taken apart and polished and balanced. I know it has a racing cam in it, but not a big one as it does not lope at idle.

I swear if you pull up and just look at it you think it is just a nice muscle car. A few months ago he won a competition going from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 8.94 seconds. I am sure I can find out a lot more particulars if needed.

dan_bgblue
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
1100 horsepower!? Man, that's gotta have some kind of beefy rear end!

Yes it does, but he is working on his 3rd tranny. It is a 6 speed automatic, but that is all I know about that part.

dan_bgblue
11-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Now to the message.

Are we going somewhere or are you just here to admire my features?

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes it does, but he is working on his 3rd tranny. It is a 6 speed automatic, but that is all I know about that part.

Surprised it doesn't shred anything you put in for gears short of duranium.

BigBlueBrock
11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Slushboxes... /gag

CitizenBBN
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Slushboxes... /gag

I definitely wanted a manual. Just seems wrong to put an automatic in a muscle car, but I know a lot of people are real happy with them. that guy knows more about cars than I could learn in a lifetime so who am I to argue?

BigBlueBrock
11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
If it was a proper manual, it probably wouldn't eat transmissions - just clutches.

CatinIL
11-27-2012, 08:07 AM

A S2000 would IMO.

As far as what to have it say...I'll quote Slim:

"What in the wide, wide, world of sports is goin' on round here?"

MickintheHam
11-27-2012, 08:47 AM
NM

ukcatlvr
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
He didn't say he bought it from a dealer. Still, you can get some pretty beefed up vehicles off the lot. Best bang for the buck would be this one, off the lot (My brother just sold one recently, new off the lot from a dealer)

My dream is to have one of these, Shelby, or the Boss within the next year. I prefer Blue, Gray or Black tho. :fing05:

CitizenBBN
11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
My dream is to have one of these, Shelby, or the Boss within the next year. I prefer Blue, Gray or Black tho. :fing05:

The Shelby will peel the skin off your body. The new Boss has the sync package, not sure I could live without it. Don't discount the 5.0 GT either. Hauls a$$. The GT is rated 412 but dynos at 430 consistently. The latest Boss 302 uses the same Coyote engine and dynos out 460, Ford advertises 440. So about 30 hp difference between them.

The difference between the Boss 302 and GT in handling is not huge but there is an improvement. The bigger improvement from what I've seen is to the Leguna Seca model. The suspension is better in both though. I wonder if it's the same suspension they have on the GT Brembo package but have no idea. Ford Racing offers a package for the GT that I bet is the stock Boss suspension.

In the time trials on a lap I've seen the boss is about 2 seconds faster than the GT but has better handling and feel. Haven't seen the new GT500 650hp numbers, figure a couple of seconds I suppose but you start losing gains just b/c of being able to keep it on the track. Quarter mile the Boss is not too much faster than the GT, I've seen less than a tenth. Of course drag isn't the same as road handling. The Boss will be tighter no doubt, and she's sure slick looking. I presume the new 500 has to rip the thing to shreds.

If I were choosing from scratch it would be between the GT and Boss, money being the deciding factor, if I'm willing to step up to the Boss. The Boss is the GT with the tune and suspension mods, but that's got a lot of appeal b/c coming stock they don't break the warranty.

Another good reason for Boss over GT500 is compatibility. The Boss is the Coyote engine and a GT with improvements so it will have lots more mod options and a lot more long term parts availability etc. I like something a little less specialized for maintenance reasons. Ford has committed to the Coyote engine in a big way, it should be around for quite a while. The 500 engine is much more limited production custom built. Makes me nervous but that's just me.

Sorry to babble. I just love the Mustangs.

CitizenBBN
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Forgot to mention the Boss Trackey. I've read the warranty on the powertrain gets halved but the tune sure sounds awesome. Basically like the ones you can get from American Muscle but without voiding the warranty.

It comes from Ford Racing though and I've read some dealers have more warranty pickiness with their stuff than others. Just a fwiw but talk to your dealer IMO before putting the Trackey in the ignition.

BigBlueBrock
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Corvettes forever, y'all. Corvettes forever.

elicat
11-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen...

One of my sons is all about muscle cars. Thankfully as a 19 yo college student, he can't afford one at the moment. (Thankfully because he'd kill himself in a wreck.) But I'm sure he'll eventually come rumbling up the driveway in one.