PDA

View Full Version : Had to send one of my fur babies.........

suncat05
01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
across that Rainbow Bridge yesterday.
She had been acting a little out of sorts since right after Christmas. So we took her to our veterinarian and told him of her symptoms. She had a diminished appetite, was wetting in her bed (which she had never done before), was not interested in going outside, was just lethargic and only wanted to sleep. When he looked at her gums, and then the whites of her eyes, he said that he wanted to draw blood to check, but that based on his experience that she had liver failure. He then showed me her gums and the whites of her eyes, both were bright yellow. He told me that we would wait on the results of the blood tests, but based on what he had observed that there wasn't much he could do for her but make her comfortable.
He called me early the next morning at work. He said her liver enzymes were extremely high, and that her thyroid functions were extremely low. He said he believed that she did not have long to live.
I am not one for crying, especially in public. But I did this time.
We went home and had a family meeting, my daughter conferred by phone. I made contact with the vet and set up the appointment date.
I had never had to do this before. It was not easy. We only had her since last May, and she had already turned 13, but she was just as much a part of our family as our other 3 dogs. She went peacefully, and I am thankful for that.
She was the best little dog.

UKFlounder
01-17-2017, 11:53 AM
:(

So sorry to read that. That is hard

BigBluePappy
01-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Condolences, suncat.
I know it can be hard, but at least you had her for a while, and that is something.

Darrell KSR
01-17-2017, 12:41 PM
So sorry, suncat.

Doc
01-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Sounds like she was destroying her red cells and the choice you made was the correct one. Its a tough thing to do. I've seen the biggest toughest onery guys break down, even had them faint on me, when the time comes. Also seen it be no big deal. Those are the ones I hate. Last week I have 3 in one day. But I always tell people that you are making the decision for their benefit, today is the best day they will have. It makes no sense to have a pet you love suffer.

suncat05
01-17-2017, 01:41 PM
All of us were affected by this situation. All of us cried a lot. I am not one to cry much, but when I do the emotion is genuine. Actually, all of us are that way. My daughter is a trauma nurse, and she is tough as nails, but even she has cried plenty over this. But I was not going to watch her go on like this anymore. It was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do.
And thank you all for allowing me to vent.

BigBluePappy
01-17-2017, 04:42 PM
I don't see it as venting, suncat; I see it as sharing...

badrose
01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Dogs love us so unconditionally they burrow their way into our hearts and when they go, it hurts...bad. So very sad for your loss, suncat.

catmanjack
01-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Sorry to hear!

PedroDaGr8
01-18-2017, 07:35 AM
Really sorry to hear that, I've been there once with one my pets growing up. It tore me up big time, even though I wasn't very close to that cat (it hated everyone but my sister).

suncat05
01-18-2017, 03:37 PM
I really appreciate everyone's condolences and support. Momma suncat05 and our kids thank you too.