PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging advice

Darrell KSR
01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Daughter's car wasn't started for about 10 days. Temperature dropped to sub-arctic conditions. Well, for Alabama, 16 or so.

Should I just hook up my basic Schumacker 7500A, and put it on a 2A charge and let it trickle charge it? I guess that's what it is doing. Or should I just put it on the 12A charge instead?

I THINK I read where I wasn't supposed to use the 2A charger setting as a trickle charge for "larger" batteries, but will it hurt the battery if I do that?

CitizenBBN
01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I'm not an expert, but I imagine the trickle charge is fine. I hope a real expert chimes in b/c I'd like to know for sure too. I usually trickle charge thinking that it's the better option, but I could be dead wrong.

KeithKSR
01-09-2017, 09:16 PM
If it is really down I'd start with the 2a, otherwise use the 12a setting. Typically the 2a is for things like lawnmower batteries.

KentuckyWildcat
01-10-2017, 07:55 PM
We use 12 on our tractor batteries. However, in my experience, if you are charging batteries you just need to buy a new one if you need dependable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
01-10-2017, 09:32 PM
10 days and it won't hold enough charge to start a car?
Charge it up, start the car and take it to your local AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced etc and have them do a test on it in the car and if necessary take it out and out it under a load test to see if you don't have a dead cell or a dead short between cells.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Update--I charged it up, per the advice here. It "almost" started without charging. Have driven it two days, no problem, multiple starts.

dan_bgblue
01-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Pappy knows best, believe me. The auto parts places do not charge for checking the battery or charging system.

As to the original question, charge it at the 12 amp setting. Just don't leave it connected for a few weeks at that setting. 2 amp trickle setting is what you use for long duration charging maintenance.

fwiw, most modern alternators in today's cars have between 100 amp to 150 amp output.

KentuckyWildcat
01-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Update--I charged it up, per the advice here. It "almost" started without charging. Have driven it two days, no problem, multiple starts.

Problem will be as soon as it sits for a weekend.

blueboss
01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
You might recall my battery woes last spring while in FL. I started at Auto Zone as Pappy suggested where they determined that it wasn't the alternator or some other electronic issue. They told the battery still had life and it just needed a charge and since it was closing time they didn't have enough time to charge it. I bought a jump box ($50) so I could keep rolling.

The next morning I took the car to a repair shop (Gulf Shores), where they put the car on the charger for about an hour using the full charge mode. After driving twenty or so miles back to condo I turned the car off and I tried starting it...dead again. I think at that point I did the smart thing and got my lap top out and came here and asked you guys. I think it was Pappy that recommended a shop in Gulf Shores. They told me I still had a few months of warranty left on my battery and replaced it for free.

Bottom line figure out where you got it or who carries what you've got...it may still have some warranty left on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
01-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Just trying to pay it back a little; I can't tell you what this little community has meant to me as I have traveled to places across my beloved South. From places to see to places to avoid to the best places to eat.

Darrell KSR
01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Problem will be as soon as it sits for a weekend.

You may be right. It's a 2012 car, and for all I know, it's the original battery anyway.

I'll ask my daughter how it's working now.

Buying a new battery is one of those "feel good" car purchases. At that moment, you know you have as good a chance of your car starting as any car, anywhere. My daughter's Jeep had battery issues this summer, and rather than fool with it, just bought a top notch cranking battery, and feel very good about that--and that's nearly a 20-year old Jeep. But it starts and runs like a charm (knocking on wood).

Other "feel good" car purchase to me is tires. Always feel great buying new tires for a car.

PedroDaGr8
01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Four years on a battery is about right. Time for a new one.

KeithKSR
01-12-2017, 04:41 PM
You may be right. It's a 2012 car, and for all I know, it's the original battery anyway.

I'll ask my daughter how it's working now.

Buying a new battery is one of those "feel good" car purchases. At that moment, you know you have as good a chance of your car starting as any car, anywhere. My daughter's Jeep had battery issues this summer, and rather than fool with it, just bought a top notch cranking battery, and feel very good about that--and that's nearly a 20-year old Jeep. But it starts and runs like a charm (knocking on wood).

Other "feel good" car purchase to me is tires. Always feel great buying new tires for a car.

Some batteries last a lot longer than expected. My 2005 tractor battery finally bit the dust in December 2015.

Darrell KSR
01-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Some batteries last a lot longer than expected. My 2005 tractor battery finally bit the dust in December 2015.
Wow. Great life.

BigBluePappy
01-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Four years on a battery is about right. Time for a new one.

Give or take a year and in my experience you sir, are spot on.
Either a cold snap or the first hot day (exceptionally hot for the area) will send the folks a scrambling for batteries.
Kind of like a full moon...

KentuckyWildcat
01-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Not experienced this first hand yet. But I keep hearing 3 years is becoming the norm since batteries are doing more now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Fwiw, my daughter told me it was a bit difficult starting today. So I bought a new battery.

BigBluePappy
01-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Fwiw, my daughter told me it was a bit difficult starting today. So I bought a new battery.

I don't believe you will regret it.
Like you said battery, tires, windshield wipers, newer brighter headlight bulbs, the oil change parts, filters are all "comfort" purchases especially for our loved ones vehicles.

KeithKSR
01-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Usually when a battery starts to make the starter drag a bit on cool mornings you can plan on needing a new battery.

CitizenBBN
01-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Y

I can cure you of that. I'll let you start buying the tires for my Mustang.

Darrell KSR
01-14-2017, 06:16 PM
I can cure you of that. I'll let you start buying the tires for my Mustang.
Good point. There's a slight difference in that and me buying 14" Douglas all season tires for my daughter.

CitizenBBN
01-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Good point. There's a slight difference in that and me buying 14" Douglas all season tires for my daughter.

it's the frequency that's the main problem.

Darrell KSR
01-14-2017, 07:27 PM
it's the frequency that's the main problem.
I've bought 8 tires for her in 12,000 miles. Put some Firestone crap tires on that I had to replace that I thought was because of a bearings and alignment issue. Decided not to fool with going back and arguing with them, as I should've gotten a credit or refund on their tires.