PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth tech download question

Doc
01-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Here is the situation...my wife has a rental car for a couple weeks (don't ask why, she swears it wasn't her fault). I linked my Samsung phone media/music to the radio and when I did it automatically pulled all my contacts so when I hit "call" it pulls them up on the screen of the receiver. Now my wife is freaking because she is convinced that a) everything in my phone was downloaded like passwords etc and b) they (whoever they are) will be able retrieve it. I say not the case. I say it just pulls the list but not the info or number.

Note: I will delete the phone from the list of synced phones from the car prior to returning, unlike the other previous 25 renters.

PedroDaGr8
01-08-2017, 01:09 PM
No, everything in your phone was not downloaded. The contacts sync feature is provided usually by the Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP), it is one of many protocol profiles that ride on top of the Bluetooth connection. There are others that handle text message transfer (to read out sms messages), media transfer (for the head unit to play your mp3 files), audio streaming (to play the sound from things like iTunes or Spotify on your phone), audio control, device control, etc. They are typically very compartmentalized, in that they handle very specific functions and have access only to that data. So you don't have much to worry about, other than the contact info that was transferred is sensitive. That being said, deleting that profile from the device should handle that. In fact, on many cars the data is deleted the instant you break the connection because there just isn't that much memory to store loads of contact info.

Also, the amount of time it would take to transfer ALL of the data on your phone would be astronomical! Like days, weeks, or even months of nonstop 24/7 transfer over a Bluetooth connection, it's not a fast data protocol at all. Sending a phonebook is easy, it's very small (generally fractions of a megabyte and that still takes a few seconds, imagine many gigabytes of data).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
01-08-2017, 01:25 PM
I was going to say pretty much the same thing, but was concerned that I couldn't get the IFCP (Internet Flux Capacitor Protocol) into language anyone here would understand. It is difficult being a computer/phone genius.

Thanks, Pedro.